Mystery fuel issue?

Mazda Pro

:
2003 Mazdaspeed Protege 2.0 Turbo
I recently cleaned out my egr, MAF sensor and throttle body front and back hardly anything carbon build up. a/f ratios reading like 17.2 and cuts off reading (---) on and off when not in gear it used to read 14-5 - 15-5 used to hesitate also not as much anymore but i fell theres still a slight hesitate. ecu was flashed by owner before me i keep getting a fuel pressure regulator code and i replaced that thing twice oem FPR im lost i dont know what else to check for vacum on that is great it'll suck your face in. im planing on checking for a cracked manifold (steedspeed) one cuz i here a rattle when im a lil over -10 boost and up but i dont think that will set the a/f ratio that high will it? other then that this thing was well taking care of untill i got it i baby as much as i can do to money its a lil tough. here are my freeze frames my code is p0090 fuel pressure regulator control circuit.
DTC for which Freeze Frame was stored P0090
Fuel System 1 Status Closed Loop
Fuel System 2 Status Not Supported
Calculated Load Value 35.69 %
Engine Coolant Temperature 94 C
Short Term Fuel Trim - Bank 1 -3.91 %
Long Term Fuel Trim - Bank 1 10.16 %
Engine RPM 2092.75 rpm
Vehicle Speed Sensor 16 km/h
Ignition Timing Advance For #1 Cylinder 31.5
Intake Air Temperature 48 C
Air Flow Rate From Mass Air Flow Sensor 12.3 g/s
Absolute Throttle Position 18.82 %

Last edited:
That code may be thrown due to the Fuel Pressure solenoid going bad. It is a sensor that connects to the vacuum line for the FPR, it has a brown plug and it is on top of the intake manifold. Many people bypass this sensor altogether and hook the FPR directly to a vac source.

i seen that when i pluged my scanner on my pc it just never said that word for word just FPR from the looks of it i think he might have already bypassed it. theres the gas line and vac line to my fpr. vac line is split and shared by ether 1 or 2 other vac lines but thx much aprecitated i will replace and see what happens.

ok i came up with ether a bad PRC (Pressure regulator control) solenoid the brown connector you are talking about and a fuel damper. im looking at every autozone, pep boys etc. website nothing comes up for this part i looked at my oem mazda part site nothing only thing other the FPR is that fuel damper and i do smell gas like once every 20 drives but the PRC makes alot more sense. all lines vac and gas are fine and dry this car man wtf i love it but i dont at the same time limited production is a mother fudge-er.

The entire fuel system setup is the same as any other FSDE Protege, it shouldn't be hard to find parts.

:) your going to laugh this whole time im wondering why she sounds like a rattle real loud when i step on it come to find out it was the t3's gasket and manifold was like finger twist loose. with that said no more gas smell, no more hesitating , and some how no more FPR code. yea im not the greatest on cars but im learning still

Car was running lean do to the exhaust leak. Lean running cars tend to mess with ALL the sensors cause it can cause the ECU to interpret misinformation funky. Not only that, but I'm surprised it didn't cause any more problems than that. Running a car with open ports exposes the hot exhaust valves to cool open air, leading to temperature shock and warping. Hence why even top fuel dragsters have a shorty header.

Back