My Turbo Update

I finally got it running right tonight. I only had one of the O2 sensors hooked up yesterday, but I was in a hurry because I had to burn off some gas for the show on Saturday. It has to be below 1/4 tank to go inside Dallas Market Hall. I still have so much to do before the show. I'm waking up at the crack of dawn tomarrow to get it all done. I just got the J&S yesterday and I'll be installing it tomarow, then it's 8psi for me, 10 once in a while.

BigBen....if you don't mind me asking. About how much did you spend total? I'm trying to guage how much I will be spending. Also how long did everything take you?

big_ben said:
I finally got it running right tonight. I only had one of the O2 sensors hooked up yesterday, but I was in a hurry because I had to burn off some gas for the show on Saturday. It has to be below 1/4 tank to go inside Dallas Market Hall. I still have so much to do before the show. I'm waking up at the crack of dawn tomarrow to get it all done. I just got the J&S yesterday and I'll be installing it tomarow, then it's 8psi for me, 10 once in a while.

Glad to see you got it working. I had to leave for work before I got to see it running. Call me when you get up if you see this post. I may be able to swing by and help out for a sec before going home as you are on the way home from work.

APEXistud said:
BigBen....if you don't mind me asking. About how much did you spend total? I'm trying to guage how much I will be spending. Also how long did everything take you?

yea ben im interested in thid number too, because im starting to piece together my turbo, and im on the typical highschoolers budget lol

ohhh look at your turbo and all that lad di dad ROFL...sorry had to do it. Glad to hear its goin man I know you've been working on it a while. I will have my car together soon I'm going with a Greddy E-Manage system and then some Nitrous in a few months again....so I will eb able to contend very well.

big_ben said:
I'm using the J&S Safeguard to control the timing. As for the fuel, I'm just using a Vortech FMU at a 10:1 setting. I think it will be plenty of fuel. I was ready to file chapter 11 like a month ago.:p

I was wondering the price on the J&S Safeguard, and a Vortech FMU at a 10:1 setting. Also how hard is this to install. If I go this route I will also have to get a knock sensor also to be on the safe side.

If you could let me know where and how much these cost. Thanks ben

blynzoo said:

Really? GReat!!!! Thanks for the info. I wasn't sure if the safeguard could truly protect against throwing a rod. I just get so scared of the idea of running 20psi in my car....I love her too much.
By the way, I think we ought to start a thread in the forced induction section, maybe. We have something like it, but I want a thread called "THE DARKSIDE" where only turbo users may post, and give us their sage advice, and where new turbo users may step in and say in all certainty....."I HAVE JOINED THE DARKSIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"(flame)

Making something for exclusive people? That goes against the whole point of this forum.
:rolleyes:

Ben thats sweet man!
I bet you have been real busy gettin ready for the show. Glad to hear everything is comming along good.:D

I will be going to the dyno soon so I can post some charts for everyone to see.

Let us know how trhe show went and how it feels to be boosted!
Post some pics when you are done!

Later
Terry

trobbins said:
Doomer, do you live over here now?

Which apartment??

It was kind of wierd seeing another MP3 in the lot.

Anyways... I am looking at buying a house soon so I may be leaving. But not for the time being.

See ya around..

Tim

Tim.

Yeah I decided to take the plunge and move in with my girlfriend of 3.5 years. I lived down the street at Wexford Place, which was nice, but the brand new Silverstone just grabbed us. I'm in 1008 #202. When you pull out of your garage, I'm in the one right across from you.

We'll have to have an MP3 barbecue sometime :D. Good luck on the house thing. Thats my next step. But it'll be some time before that happens.

Chris

Here is my newest update. I have both the O2 sensors on now and it fixed the idle somewhat. I still have a problem with the car stalling when I come to a stop. It also smokes a little at idle once in a while. I'm not sure why, I just know its running really rich for some reason. I'm running 5 to 6psi now and it is insanely fast. I can't believe the difference at just 6psi. I still have one small oil leak in the oil pan I need to get fixed. I just need to take my car to a shop to get the return line tube welded into the oil pan instead of just bolted in like I have it. But other than my stalling problem and smoking once in a while, it runs great. The car finally feels like it should have been made. I don't have the J&S hooked up yet or the NX intercooler spray kit. I should be able to install them by this weekend. I'll keep you all updated.

I'll probably take you up on that tomarrow. Can I do it at your house? Do you have wire strippers and stuff like that?

Yes,

I have all kinds of electrical stuff here. I just don't have a volt meter and such. I may have a little trouble helping out tommorrow due to another prior engagement. Call me up.

Yeah Ben, Sounds like a leak to me.
Also I run no check valves. I had a slight problem with idle before when I had the valves on. Corky Bell does not use valves in his kits either. Try and see if that the problem if you dont have leaks. Its probably a leak though. Is your car putting black smoke out at idle?

Glad to hear your car is running hard!

Is your car putting black smoke out at idle?
No, the smoke is not very dark. It's not pure white, but it smells like it's running rich. It's not that stinky oil burning smoke, it's not pure white,...it's like a grey color.

Yep, 99% sure you're running rich then. My friend across the street runs rich on his Rx-7 most the time, just coughed up a lungfull of that same smoke...

"Hey dude, go behind the car, am I busting flames?" I get behind the car.. Vroooooooooooom ...POP! smoke all in my face...I was like 10 feet away lol...

big_ben said:

No, the smoke is not very dark. It's not pure white, but it smells like it's running rich. It's not that stinky oil burning smoke, it's not pure white,...it's like a grey color.

Do you have access to a wide band 02? I also ran rich in the middle. With stock fuel pump and injectors I had to back off the pressure on my FMU a little until it was right.

WShade, what is exactly your setup? You are runing with original fuel pump and injectors with an FMU and you are runing rich enough? If I remember well, I think you are runing at 7 or 8 psi?

I'm asking that because I run with 2 extras injectors and a controller but I found that even if I adjust them to the minimum, I'm still runing a bit too rich.

It's like the stock fuel pump and injectors are enough for 8psi and under. That what I tought trying to adjust my 2 extras injectors.

If it is, this can help other guys who are trying to build a low cost turbo car!

Stock fuel pump, stock injectors with an FMU. I was running just shy of 8 psi a week or so ago but turned it down to 6 1/2 psi just to be safe since it is so hot here in Texas this time of year. But, even just shy of 8 psi and 100+ degree heat the car had plenty of fuel. It still runs a little rich in the middle until the RPM can catch up with the boost. From our findings 8 psi is the cut off for stock fuel management to be on the safe side.

I think that an FMU is all thats needed on an 8psi setup. This is a good thing considering the lowcost initial setup when going custom turbo. To give you guys an idea how much fuel is needed over the rpm band. Very little fuel is needed from 0rpm to 2500 rpm. More fuel is needed from 3000-3500rpm and the bulk of fuel is needed from 3500rpm to 5000rpm. In this rpm range lots of fuel is needed almost up to 60 percent over base stock fuel settings since this is the sweet spot on the turbo (if you are running a t3 super 60 or a mitsu 16g) This is when most of the torque is produced and the need for fuel is needed greatly. After 5000 rpm suprisingly very very little fuel is needed other wise the motor runs overly rich.

I got this info when tuning on a wideband o2. On my setup I can adjust fuel over the rpm range in conjunction with boost. So I have a big tuning window and was able to see and adjust fuel while studying how the car reacted.

Stou maybe you can try leaning out your fuel in the upper rpm range......if its possible?

But again I think its good for guys going turbo that we only need an FMU. Stock fuel pump and injectors should hold out fine like Wshade stated earlier.

But if we can some how find a fuel injector controller that can tune fuel thru out tthe rpm range this would be perfect for reliability and power:D

Back