My New Protege5- New Guy from KY

alej

I have been on this forum checking posts and learning about the p5 everyday for a couple of months now. I Have been looking for a fun car with more space to replace my G35. I love the G35, but it is a coupe and even though it has plenty of room in the backseats and would work well, with an expanding family I want a couple extra doors. I wanted to replace it with a car that was fun to drive. I wouldn't be happy in a generic family sedan, would not ever want a SUV, and like the idea of a hatch/wagon. I was looking at the P5, Mazda3, and oddly enough a 04-05 Saab 9-5 wagon. I have previously owned a speed3 and enjoyed how practical it was. I am looking to have less money in a car so a speed 3 was out of my price range. I do also enjoy regular 3s. The saab 9-5 Aero Wagon is a surprising fun car. Great interior and every option you could ever think of, even vented seats. they have a powerful turbocharged direct injected 2.3l that is a $160 reflash away from 270hp/300tq. They do weigh 3600lbs though. They are in my price range and can be found under $7k in good shape.

A couple of weeks ago I found a great p5 only a hundred miles away. It was a 03.5 model with 85k miles, original owner, maintenance records, everything. Well I waited too long to buy it and saw it on here a couple of days later- http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123827543-New-guy-from-Ohio

Well I saw on facebook a few days ago another great find. 2003 Midnight blue p5 with 86k miles. No rust, no accidents, great shape. Two owner, and it has some goodies that I like. It has a cool head unit that does Bluetooth and can stream pandora from my GS3 (I didn't know how advance low cost headunits have come, I have just had stock radios in my past few cars). It also has some bbs style wheels that have wider 215 section width tires. I got a good deal on it, got it for less than the red one I saw a couple of weeks ago.

I am excited to be a p5 owner and am excited to learn more about it. I have autocrossed plenty and have been to a track day. I plan to continue with the p5, but do not plan on mods. I may lower it. I am going to get bike racks too.

photo3_zps83218229.jpg

photo2_zpsd318cd51.jpg

photo1_zpsf0094827.jpg

ecab011c-409e-42c1-92bf-47903aa4d4f3_zps94e70d83.jpg

Last edited:
Nice!! Where'd you find that one? Looks very sharp. Makes me wonder if I shoulda waited :D
Even though I'm a sucker for red, I love that blue as well. Plus it already has tint, HU and wheels. Nice score!

Thanks guys! It was in Georgetown KY. I saw it on facebook a couple of days before he put it on Craigslist. it took a couple of days to negotiate on price, but I am happy with it.

My G35 is now on CL. I'll miss its power and RWD. It is a big change from 298hp to 130, but the p5 is still fun and much lighter. I hope to make it to an autocross or tow and maybe to Putnam Park in Indiana for a Track day.

The p5 just needs headlights and foglights adjusted a little. It seems to have a good idle, so maybe not the egr yet. I will have to change the timing belt this summer. I drive about 60-75 miles per day and will hit 100k miles sometime this year.

I have noticed how it is not very smooth throughout the powerband. around 3500 or so it picks up more then int he 5-5.5k range it either picks up or levels out, I'm not sure. It just wasn't all that smooth.

Congrats and welcome to the club! Yes, aftermarket h/u's with bluetooth and ipod functions can be had cheap these days...the higher priced units now offer touch screens and remind me of having a tablet in your dash.

Lexington, eh? I used to live off of Leesburg Road over by Masterson Station Park.

maybe buy a flashed mp3 ecu to help with the powerband?
PS clean looking protege5 you have there. love the look of it

Congrats and welcome to the club! Yes, aftermarket h/u's with bluetooth and ipod functions can be had cheap these days...the higher priced units now offer touch screens and remind me of having a tablet in your dash.

Lexington, eh? I used to live off of Leesburg Road over by Masterson Station Park.

I am very familiar with that area, I have friends and family there. I lived in lexington until a little over a year ago, my wife and I moved to Richmond (15 miles south of lexington). I work in lexington and am usually in Lexington 5-7 days per week.

nice and tidy

thanks!

maybe buy a flashed mp3 ecu to help with the powerband?
PS clean looking protege5 you have there. love the look of it

Thank you! I really like the car and am excited for the next opportunity to drive it. I think lowering it will make it look a lot better with the wheels the previous owner put on. I found a stack of service records in it yesterday which was a great find. The most I have ever found in cars ive bought before were old McDonalds fries and pocket change.

I've thought about the ecu, but I need to research it some more. I do not want to use premium. If it will smooth things out and stay on regular fuel then maybe. so far I have read it just advances timing.

Nice, it's beautiful there and of all the places I've lived that would be the one I'd be willing to go back to to live. Of course I lived there 20+ years ago so it may have changed just a bit. lol

Premium is the drawback to the ecu but a lot of the guys who have done the swap are very happy with the results. I don't have that worry as mine's an auto. :(

Back