My Class

el_Don

:
2002 Mazda Protege ES
I've been reading up and am getting interested in SCCA autocrossing. I looked at the sticky regarding the classification of the vehicle. My mods are in my sig, can someone with more experience tell me if I have the right classification? I think I'm in the STS class.

Thanks

I am pretty positive the short ram intake may place you out of sts the pulleys might be an issue as well....then again I am probably way wrong as its been a year or two since I have read the rule book and st classes are really wierd.

(It would be st class as I believe sts is now the old sts2 class)

If the factory steering wheel had an integrated airbag, your swap will put you in FSP.
Everything else appears ST legal.

If the factory steering wheel had an integrated airbag, your swap will put you in FSP.
Everything else appears ST legal.

What if the steering wheel is off an MP3 Protege? It retains the same airbag, would it still switch the class?

14.2.D. Alternate steering wheels are allowed except that steering wheels with an integral airbag may not be changed.

Taken literally, you can't touch your steering wheel in ST if you have an integrated airbag, regardless of what is replacing it.
I'd err on the side of a strict interpretation to avoid any issues later...

I edited the sticky for the new ST* names (and SM/SSM).

You would be fine running in ST locally. I doubt anyone would care about the steering wheel. I would talk to your competitors about it and make sure no one has a problem with it, otherwise you would be in FSP.

Latest posts

Back