MX-30 Canadian introduction

Has anybody done a cost analysis of the hydro monthly bill increases that will assuredly occur when charging these things at home? How does the increased electricity bill on one of these vehicles compare to monthly gas usage on a similar sized IC engined vehicle?
What about insurance costs? Again, I have no idea. Are EV's more expensive to insure?
Then there's the initial purchase costs. Which is cheaper?
Lots to think about.
Just curious. Cheers.

You bring interesting questions for which I have only a few answers...Price of electricity depends where you live; some areas will charge more during peak periods. Also public charging stations typically will cost you more than at home (they are there to make money). Generally speaking, an EV will cost less to run than a gas powered equivalent. As for insurance, I didn't check but with recent cases of fire on Bolt, Kona, etc. who knows?

Initial cost is more but eventually they say as battery prices come down, an EV will be the same price as a gas equivalent.

People buy EV for various reasons; to save on fuel, save on maintenance (no oil change, brakes last longer), reduce carbon footprint, be trendy, instant torque, low noise, quick heating of cabin (heat pump+electric elements and preheating when charging). The Tesla Model 3 is one of the best selling cars in Canada (of course not including SUV's and trucks) and they don't give them away! I see a few just walking from my home.

I don't know if I'll ever have an EV before I die, but I'm always following what's new!

Has anybody done a cost analysis of the hydro monthly bill increases that will assuredly occur when charging these things at home? How does the increased electricity bill on one of these vehicles compare to monthly gas usage on a similar sized IC engine vehicle?
If you can come up with an estimate of your cost per KWh the math is pretty simple.

My cost per KWh is $0.15 US all-in except for the basic service charge independent of usage. My provider does not break it down by time of day so that's day-night blended.

The MX-30 battery is 35.5 KWh. From what I've read the battery range can be as low as 75 miles in cold weather highway driving and as high as 150 miles in warm weather city driving. So, lets split the difference at 112.5 miles.

35.5 KWh battery * 0.15 per KW = $5.33 US to go 112.5 miles in my example. In these parts, a good regular gas (Exxon in my case), runs about $3.25 / gallon currently. That's about a 70 mpg equivalence. Regardless, the savings may be quite substantial.

My cost per mile driven example is high compared to what Consumer Reports typically comes up with for EVs, around a 100 mpg equivalence, give or take. I believe they use a lower national average of 0.13 per KWh and maybe other variables. Time will tell what the EPA rating and CR estimate in the US turns out to be.

Then you have to factor lower maintenance costs with an EV, at least until the battery gives up the ghost, no doubt an expensive replacement item. I didn't see Mazda's Canadian warranty on the batter, but the UK warranty for 8 years / 100,000 miles is not terribly reassuring.

I think the small battery with limited range and the 140+ HP going 0-60 in around 10 seconds might be a show stopper for some. As just a daily commuter to recharge at night, evidently Mazda's target audience, it would be just fine by my lights. Forget road trips, obviously.

Last edited by a moderator:
I swore I would never buy another VW after owning a 1976 Rabbit and a 2004.5 Passat wagon 1.8T 4Motion that gave me nothing but trouble, but I must admit that their new ID 4 Pro AWD checks most of the boxes I'm looking for in a EV. It's the cheapest AWD EV for now yet with about 300HP! Not Tesla Y or Mustang Mach E territory but more in line with upcoming Nissan Ariya, Kia EV6 and Hyundai Ioniq 5. Can't wait to see something similar from Mazda!

Back