Failing exhaust muffler, any experiences?

:
2014 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech
As search on here about mufflers pretty much comes up with just folks wanting to change theirs out for performance gains. My question instead is has anyone had to replace their muffler because it was failing? Mine seems louder than it used to be, but it doesn't leak or anything, it's just a bit louder. Anyone?

As search on here about mufflers pretty much comes up with just folks wanting to change theirs out for performance gains. My question instead is has anyone had to replace their muffler because it was failing? Mine seems louder than it used to be, but it doesn't leak or anything, it's just a bit louder. Anyone?
I have a 2015 Mazda 6 with the same drivetrain as yours. I had a custom midpipe installed which deleted the second cat, and replaced the OEM resonator with a vibrant high-flow resonator. I have been very happy with the increase in sound. This setup works fantastic with the stock muffler and exhaust manifold.

I personally do not suggest replacing the factory muffler. It is designed for under-vehicle aerodynamics and does an excellent job with exhaust flow. I have 312,000KM+ on my vehicle. No exhaust leaks. Exhaust system in good shape.

If it's louder than it used to be, you may have developed some small holes, possibly from rust and corrosion. Best way to know for sure is to get it up in the air so you can take closer look.

Our Civic's muffler has been replaced twice so far, both times the weld failed at the muffler due to rust.

Back