msp/mp5 what's the difference?

Big Ds mp5

:
2002 Mazda protege5
This may be a dumb question for some but I'd like to know what the difference is mazdaspeed protege5 and a reg protege5. Is there engine upgrades and better suspension. Oh and I've seen familia badges on some protege5s aswell what's that?

Pretty sure there was never a Mazdaspeed Protege5. There was a Mazdaspeed Protege. Basically a regular protege with a turbo bolted on in the factory. They didn't do that with the Protege5. The only difference between a regular Protege and a Protege5 is that one is a hatchback and one is a sedan.

"Familia" is what the Protege5 is called in Japan, iirc.

You're forgetting all the other awesome stuff the msp and mp3 got. But ya basically mp5 is short for Mazda protege 5. In other countries they're called famila and others 323. You can literally find all of this stuff on Wikipedia google it and learn more about your car than anyone on here besides pcb feels like typing. Or pm pcb and he would probably be willing to write a novel about them for you

Here Ya Go :

Protege1_zps6aa53177.jpg

Protege2_zpsdb4d4d98.jpg

Protege3_zps259e43d0.jpg

Protege4_zps67244c7f.jpg

Dont get fooled, the engine in the MSP and p5 are exactly the same
so you could slap on a turbo and call it a MSPro5 :)

So, I have an 02 P5 and found an 03 MSP that was t-boned. Should I be able to pull most of the parts off the MSP and use them in my P5 if they weren't affected by the accident? The main things I'm looking at are the struts/springs, seats, exhaust, and possibly the turbo. And steering rack, if I can get around to it (btw, how ridiculously difficult is it to get to those?).

Front seats, yea you can use. But the rears forget about it already tried and failed. The p5 rear seats are different

^True about the seats tweety. Didn't think about that for some reason. I thought there might've been a chance considering the rears in my P5 attach at the sides in the back.
As for the steering rack, it's been making a lot of clunking noises when I turn and doesn't return to center. I often have to hold the wheel with a fair grip so that it'll go straight or jerk the wheel dangerously to get it to straighten out. It's driving me nuts and I have a feeling it's thrown off my alignment, considering my tires are wearing out really quickly. Or that could just be from when my wheel bearings were shot. Not for sure either way.

I never knew a Protege came with the RF in places. Thats a Diesel version of the F2/F2T. Uses the Exact same mounts to bolt up too. That means sourcing a set of those RF mounts would make a F2T a bolt in swap. That could be alot of fun!

^True about the seats tweety. Didn't think about that for some reason. I thought there might've been a chance considering the rears in my P5 attach at the sides in the back.
As for the steering rack, it's been making a lot of clunking noises when I turn and doesn't return to center. I often have to hold the wheel with a fair grip so that it'll go straight or jerk the wheel dangerously to get it to straighten out. It's driving me nuts and I have a feeling it's thrown off my alignment, considering my tires are wearing out really quickly. Or that could just be from when my wheel bearings were shot. Not for sure either way.

Are you sure it's not a strut mount? Mine does the same thing the clunking is the spring popping in and out if seat

I hear the suspension clunking (my struts are shot too), but as I turn the wheel (even sitting in a parking lot idling) the resistance builds a little, then releases with a clunk. The resistance isn't strong at all, but just strong enough to notice. It clunks once or twice in each direction when turning the wheel (depending on if it's cold weather or just wet) and then won't always return to center, especially after a tight right turn. The shop told me it was making noise inside the steering box, but I will look at it again.

Latest posts

Back