MS6 - Whiteline RSB & lowering springs - how to fix the clunk

tunersteve

Contributor
:
2011 Mustang GT
Just a heads up for those who have this combination (personally, Whiteline RSB with H&R springs), if you run the bar on the stiff (inner) setting, may experience some clunking on uneven surfaces. To give you a better idea, the ends of the RSB are actually making contact with the cup area of the lower control arm, causing the noise. I don't have a pic of the exact situation at the time, but I plan on posting one soon. There's not much clearance between those two components. The solution is to grind down the end of the bar about 1/4 to 3/8" at a 30* angle to avoid contact. The more extreme solution is to remove the softer setting from the bar, if you plan on running on the stiff setting all the time.

Here are a few pics of my bar before and after a little grinding on the corner to show the difference:

Stock vs. Whiteline (note the difference in endlink mounting position on the WL):
P7100068.jpg

WL without trimming (I didn't do much at all):
P7100065.jpg

WL with the corner trimmed:
P7100066.jpg

Here's a few spots you could trim it more to see what difference it makes:
RSBtrimmingoptions.jpg

Option 1: 30* (approx) cut to allow adjustment
Option 2: remove 'soft' setting from bar

With Option 2, you need to be careful to make sure that you don't remove too much material around the mounting point for the endlink. This area will be crucial for not compromising the bar and destroying the mounting tab. With that said, this should help eliminate clunking for those of you seeing it.

It's really hard to explain until you see it yourself. Once you install the bar, you'll know what I'm talking about.

I trimmed even more than that when I installed my whiteline bar and still get clunking from time to time. I thought about cutting off the softer hole completely, but wanted to try it out first. Now that I know I will run it on the stiffer setting (wish it could go stiffer still) I will probably just cut the softer setting off entirely.

Tony

Back