MS3 Warranty and Service / maintenance

Cryss

Excuse my ignorance but I was just wondering if you had a MS3 with a warranty or extended warranty did you need to get the car serviced at the dealer regularly to maintain the coverage? Or can you do the service on the vehicle yourself and still keep the extended warranty?

NO -- you do not need to visit the dealer for routine maintenance. You're running a risk with DIY, though. If you have a problem all you'll have is receipts showing you bought the stuff, but no proof you used it. Find a nearby shop you can trust and have them do the oil changes and routine stuff. That way you'll have proof the work was done.

NO -- you do not need to visit the dealer for routine maintenance. You're running a risk with DIY, though. If you have a problem all you'll have is receipts showing you bought the stuff, but no proof you used it. Find a nearby shop you can trust and have them do the oil changes and routine stuff. That way you'll have proof the work was done.

okay that makes sense, thanks! so any place like jiffylube blah blah with receipts would be good for small stuff

okay that makes sense, thanks! so any place like jiffylube blah blah with receipts would be good for small stuff

I would never use a Jiffy Boob type of shop. Find a good independent tech- not a franchise shop that doesn't require employees to have opposable thumbs.

I would never use a Jiffy Boob type of shop. Find a good independent tech- not a franchise shop that doesn't require employees to have opposable thumbs.

hahah yeah i feel you... i've only used jiffy lube maybe twice on my previous car (infiniti g20 sport). i always sketch leaving

Especially NOT Jiffy Lube! I do take mine to a quick-change place I've been using for years. Always the same crew and many of them are gear-heads. I do stand right at the car while they're working, though, so they get the message I'm kinda picky.

I'd DIY the oil changes, but then there's no record.

One thing I always did when I moved and was going to a new shop is take a sharpie and put a little mark or date on my oil filter. You'd be surprised how many shops don't actually change those.

the work required to mark the filter on this car is pointless, you might as well change the filter yourself while there lol

i do all of my own oil changes on my rides, always have. ever have someone cross-thread a filter housing for you, or strip an oil pan drain? or put a filter in, but no oil, or too much or too little. on no gasket on the filter? etc. etc.

i do it myself, especially on a car like this with a different, easily screwed up filter setup. there is no room for error in these cars. wrong oil, wrong amount, can be a bad thing.

the tundra, in a pinch, can go get a service change sometimes, if i'm out of town or something.

i keep the receipts, and the box top of each filter i've bought in the glove box... if that's not good enough for them, on a totally stock car, then enjoy the lawsuit.

Last edited:
Back