MS3 vs. SRT-4

ya, it's not even a question after heavy modding. our modding community is the freakin girl scouts compared to what the srt-4 neon has workin for it! (eek2)

Well to clarify, yes a car that only cost 20k! You can bring up the STI and the EVO but for a car that cost almost 18k less it competes and in many cases beats them. The altima, accord and watever else you listed are irrelevant. The srt-4 weighs 2800+ pounds and makes 230whp stock, you do the weight to horse power ratio and your looking at another car that cost minimum 2-4times as much to compete, and they respond to mods better than most cars on the market. also aside from the ej20 and 4g63, you name me a 4cycl motor that can put over 500-600whp to the ground stock motor? and also keep in mind, the more power the car creates the higher that weight to HP ratio gets. I'm not making an excuse for the ones that are dicks, but im saying they have their reasons. The car without a shadow of a doubt, negating the fact that its FWD, the car is a SERIOUS performer.

Well to clarify, yes a car that only cost 20k! You can bring up the STI and the EVO but for a car that cost almost 18k less it competes and in many cases beats them. The altima, accord and watever else you listed are irrelevant. The srt-4 weighs 2800+ pounds and makes 230whp stock, you do the weight to horse power ratio and your looking at another car that cost minimum 2-4times as much to compete, and they respond to mods better than most cars on the market. also aside from the ej20 and 4g63, you name me a 4cycl motor that can put over 500-600whp to the ground stock motor? and also keep in mind, the more power the car creates the higher that weight to HP ratio gets. I'm not making an excuse for the ones that are dicks, but im saying they have their reasons. The car without a shadow of a doubt, negating the fact that its FWD, the car is a SERIOUS performer.

How long are these BONE STOCK 500 - 600 whp engines lasting? Or do they even exist? And when I say bone stock, I mean no mods whatsoever to the engine.

I'd really like to read up on those bone stock 500-600 whp engines. A link or two would be really helpful. Not completely doubting, just really curious.

How long are these BONE STOCK 500 - 600 whp engines lasting? Or do they even exist? And when I say bone stock, I mean no mods whatsoever to the engine.

I'd really like to read up on those bone stock 500-600 whp engines. A link or two would be really helpful. Not completely doubting, just really curious.

LOL! are you serious? just take a leisurely trip over to s r t f o r u m s. and read thru some of the threads, im dont even have waste my time to find you a thread, 70-80% of SRT4's doing 500+whp is on stock motor minus the turbo and fuel upgrade. fyi, my old srt was doing 417whp in 05', the owner that i still keep in contact with has been doing 487 since two months of ownership, and he still has the car.

LOL! are you serious? just take a leisurely trip over to s r t f o r u m s. and read thru some of the threads, im dont even have waste my time to find you a thread, 70-80% of SRT4's doing 500+whp is on stock motor minus the turbo and fuel upgrade. fyi, my old srt was doing 417whp in 05', the owner that i still keep in contact with has been doing 487 since two months of ownership, and he still has the car.

Took your advice, headed over to the srtforums and hit the bigturbo thread and did some searches:

http://w w w.s r t f o r u m s.com/forums/f24/big-turbo-owners-feedback-195235/index17.html

http:// w w w.s r t f o r u m s.com/forums/f169/450-500-fwhp-396887/index2.html

What I found was most guys are in the 350-450whp range with a couple close to 500. The ones that are closer to 500 are contemplating built motors as a couple guys have screwed up their pistons. The thread is too big so I went through the first 20 pages or so. Quite a few guys were concerned about the motors ability to handle power in the 500 whp range and I really haven't seen a single 500-600 whp post on stock internals. Please help me out here. I'm sure somebody have done it. I'm just curious to know for how long.

400+ whp is quite a bit different to 500-600 whp. And because somebody hit 500+ it doesn't mean the motor will hold up over time. Seems like people are just throwing numbers around.

Now please don't get me wrong, I'm not saying in anyway the srt-4 iron block motor isn't strong. It obviously is if people are running 400+ hp with little issues. I'm just doubting the 500-600whp with no-issues thing.

Last edited:
After 500hp a few small bottom end changes need to be made, but nothing serious, most resorting to helping oil flow better (remove balance shaft, remove oil cooler, larger diameter oil pickup tube, etc)

After fixing up the oil issues 550 is about the "safe limit" I would take the car to. 600 is easily attainable, but I wouldn't recommend it.

After that head studs, head gasket, crank studs and a crank strap kit will get you to about 650 safely. Beyond that honestly the point is mute. I'm sure you can do more on the "stock bottom end" AKA Crank, Rods, Pistons. But Why the hell would you. If your that serious, you are going to spend the extra for crank/rods/pistons.

After 500hp a few small bottom end changes need to be made, but nothing serious, most resorting to helping oil flow better (remove balance shaft, remove oil cooler, larger diameter oil pickup tube, etc)

After fixing up the oil issues 550 is about the "safe limit" I would take the car to. 600 is easily attainable, but I wouldn't recommend it.

After that head studs, head gasket, crank studs and a crank strap kit will get you to about 650 safely. Beyond that honestly the point is mute. I'm sure you can do more on the "stock bottom end" AKA Crank, Rods, Pistons. But Why the hell would you. If your that serious, you are going to spend the extra for crank/rods/pistons.

Thanks (drive) as i was saying, its easliy done and holds up very well.

Thanks (drive) as i was saying, its easliy done and holds up very well.

But it's NOT stock anymore and totmacher's comment is only ONE opinion out of many I've read on that site. Some seem to think the pistons and rings don't hold up after 500 whp as well. So IMO, his comment doesn't prove anything. You asked me to look and I looked.

Last edited:
No, the mighty srt 4 won't last long with 500whp. 400whp it will be cool, but not for years or anything.

Nice try, evo rs costs 25k all over the place. evo rs will destroy an srt for less money, cams, tbe, meth injection and they run 11's, all day every day. evo rs is the king of cheap speed and will continue to be so for a long time (evo IX that is).

4g63 power! Ya those cars are really bad ass... They mod sooo easy. I would get one if they had cruise control and a few more creature comforts.

Who ******* cares about cost? When I go out and race, I don't skip lining up against someone and say "Hey, I'mnot ognna race you, your car cost more." Thats as bad as the BMW guys I know that say "so what if you beat me, I'm still going home in a BMW."

that was not my point...my point was what car at that price did what that car was able to do? plain and simple there were none and there are still very few cars in the price range that are capable of the performance. I mean really i could list off alot cars that would beat it to but that's apples to oranges really..a ferrai should be it right? do you see my point? $ for $ it was a performace bargin in 2003.

Agree'd guys on SRT forums are arrogant/slapdicks/douchebags honestly they give people like me a bad name. MS3 14.0 1/4 mi, SRT does 13.9 1/4 mi (not sure if MS3 is capable of better stock time correct me if i'm wrong). Seems like a lot of people on here went from an SRT to MS3 and im contemplating on making the switch myself. I have an '04 SRT4 w/ some goodies, do any of you former SRT4 guys have any regrets or suggestions?

there are some old videos of ms3 doing stock runs hitting 13.8,13.9 in australia or some s***, its on youtube. driver did 13.5? but he had slicks on stock setup.

Agree'd guys on SRT forums are arrogant/slapdicks/douchebags honestly they give people like me a bad name. MS3 14.0 1/4 mi, SRT does 13.9 1/4 mi (not sure if MS3 is capable of better stock time correct me if i'm wrong). Seems like a lot of people on here went from an SRT to MS3 and im contemplating on making the switch myself. I have an '04 SRT4 w/ some goodies, do any of you former SRT4 guys have any regrets or suggestions?

Yeah - I miss the MEANNESS of the SRT-4 I had last year. It responded like a freaking monster. I miss the mean growl of the SRT-4 exhaust. It was cool to know that I could outrun almost anything around me. I miss the chirping tires all the way through the gears. I especially miss the factory available stage kits.

But - all in all, seriously - I wouldn't trade my MS3 for a brand new Neon SRT-4 (if one were available). The Mazda feels more stable. The interior doesn't make me apologize to people. The picnic-basket-handle spoiler sucked and made me feel like I was a juvenile. After people found out about the SRT-4, people were always wanting to race on the streets - not my thing.

A local Neon SRT owner E mailed me this link. I am surprised it is not getting that vicious, good job.

My .02 cents, worry more about what you want out of your car and less about other peoples cars. Unless your main concern is beating an SRT4.
Racing is fun but if you are going to get serious about it and rank cars we should remember the reason the racing sanctioning groups have rules and classes.

Personaly I am OK with the Neon's, I have had an affinity for Dodge/Plymouth since my first 2 cars (70 Cudas) and current 70 Challenger. Good for Dodge for knocking out a car that can throw down 300-400 HP in an easily affordable and streetable package.

As for the rivalry, maintain respectability and try to keep it friendly. No car is immune from douchebag owners who spend more time trash talking than learning about and modding their car.
If only there was a personality test before logging on to the web.

A local Neon SRT owner E mailed me this link. I am surprised it is not getting that vicious, good job.

My .02 cents, worry more about what you want out of your car and less about other peoples cars. Unless your main concern is beating an SRT4.
Racing is fun but if you are going to get serious about it and rank cars we should remember the reason the racing sanctioning groups have rules and classes.

Personaly I am OK with the Neon's, I have had an affinity for Dodge/Plymouth since my first 2 cars (70 Cudas) and current 70 Challenger. Good for Dodge for knocking out a car that can throw down 300-400 HP in an easily affordable and streetable package.

As for the rivalry, maintain respectability and try to keep it friendly. No car is immune from douchebag owners who spend more time trash talking than learning about and modding their car.
If only there was a personality test before logging on to the web.

Amen(cabpatch)

Back