MPG's

Is anyone here using an FCD ( Fuel Consumption Display ) to maximize gas mileage ? I know the Hypermilers are fond of these.

My wife got me an ultragauge for Christmas. I've seen a 1.5mpg increase in my full tank mpg average since December; I've also seen a full 4-5mpg increase over this time last year.

Ah, cool mazda 2. I am also interested in the Ultragauge.

I got 33.6 on my first tank, I did roughly 60/40 city/hwy. I drove in a rather... uhh.... * spirited * fashion :)

I am on my second tank now and I have decided to try some hypermiler techniques on this tank, nothing extreme, just safe simple stuff.

I will report back after my next fill.

I just finished my 2nd tank. I got 40.8 mpg. It was about 50/50 city/hwy.

I had to stay pretty focused on the few hypermiler techniques I know to get that though.

Still, that would save me about $ 50 a month, I do a lot of driving with my job.

so far my average is 8 liters per 100kilometers as the car reads which is equivilent to 30mpg around town which means lots of hills and long warm ups do to weather,and the trip meter says 675kilometers/420miles per tank with 1100kilometers/685miles on the car should get better once fully broken in..we traded in our 2008 equinox AWD which was getting 16liters per 100k/15miles per gallon which is unacceptable with todays economy.

I did a 300 mile round trip from my area in Chino, CA to Chula Vista, CA going the hilly way down the 15 freeway on the way back, back up the 5 freeway to the 405 the whole time doing 85-95 while on the 15 and then 70-80 on the 5 coming back hitting medium traffic and averaged 34.6 mpg according to my fuelly...i was quite impressed.

most of the time now i hit 32 mpg while driving hard through the city and on the freeway, and do about 34-35mpg when completely relaxing while driving not in a hurry. Otherwise im around 33 mpg like my fuelly says i thnk

Great stuff guys, thanks for your input :)

Shaowq,

That's amazing mpg's for those kinda highway speeds.

Last edited:
Somehow with a little bit of luck and slightly warmer weather my MPG spiked to an alltime high of 37 MPG. (6.3 ish L/100KM)

Was definitely surprised when I worked it out on my phone.

3rd Tank:

39.3 mpg 60/40 hwy/city

I did a little hypermiling on the first half of the tank, after that I decided to have fun, hypermiling can get a bit tedious as much as I drive.

I also decided to turn off the TCS for the last 1/2 of the tank, the car seems more spirited to me with it off, and I think it might help some with mpg.

I was kind of surprised at the numbers, I thought I would get less.

Last edited:
31 mpg 40/60 highway/city use and autocross/spirited drives. 70 fill ups in past 14,000 miles.

4th Tank :

39.4 mpg 60/40 Hwy/City

No hypermiling, but I did turn off the TCS for the entire tank.

I am beginning to wonder if the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th tank mpg's are higher because of the gas I am using.

The Dealer supplied the First tank " free " and I am wondering if they filled the tank with cheap gas.

I have been filling the tank with Chevron ( with Techron ) which is a quality gas ( I think that means quality additives )

Anyway, I have read that quality gas can make a significant difference when it comes to mpg's.

Food for thought anyway.

MPG Stylin'

No Fuelly, my fingers work and I did pass 4th grade Math. 40% hwy, 60% Cty. No Mix-U-stop or other snake oils. Tire pressures as per factory. Last 4 months on Michelin X-Ice2 winters at 4 psi over factory. No tricks. Sometimes with 1-3 passengers and sometimes with cargo, anything from camping gear for 3 to Sheetrock and tiles.

Excel plot with one standard deviation so you can see my range. Life-to-date is 31 MPG.

Quite happy.

Some of those 21 days were autocrossing or CrossBronxing.:D

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 99
Damn, I feel so bad with my 27 mpg average. full city and alot of traffic, plus agressive drive.

I shift at 3-6,000 depending on situation. On the highway I am pretty relaxed (save aggression for track) and usually cruise between middle and right lane. My car is base Sport with 5 Speed. If I had the Automatic I would shift it manually and take full advantage of the hold button.(drinks)

I shift at 3-6,000 depending on situation. On the highway I am pretty relaxed (save aggression for track) and usually cruise between middle and right lane. My car is base Sport with 5 Speed. If I had the Automatic I would shift it manually and take full advantage of the hold button.(drinks)

my mazda is manual too(5 speed), sport version, without cruise, only agressive drive in short distances, highway driving is relaxed too, 29 mpg average (of total of fills), hopping that changing wheels to (11.8 lbs) will affect mpg possitive in some way.

I was having fun & revving it high this week, and was hoping I'd get 34 mpg which is low for me.
Filled up today & still got 37.9.

That's all from commuting to work, so I was stuck in quite a bit of traffic for
a majority of the drive.

I have no idea why the EPA ratings are so low on this car or how some testers get below 30 mpg's with the manual transmission.
I'd have to drive the living hell out of this car to get below 30 mpg's.

im only on 3rd fill up, about 60-70% city driving and averaging what my fuelly says, i know im still breaking in motor so hoping it improves to what u guys are getting :) , i know with mostly city driving it will be a little lower but hopeing i get closer to like 32-33 i might be wishing to much , but enjoying my 2 very much :)

i have the sport with manual tran

*after reading more into this thread it seems like i might get a little better maybe as the engine breaks in , a bit of usefull info in here!

Last edited:
I wonder why there is such a variation among people that have the same car with the manual transmission.

It doesn't seem like we would drive that differently as I don't do anything special except my tires are over-inflated,
40 front, 38 rear, and I'm really into looking ahead & coasting & trying to time the lights just right so I never have to stop.
It's like a game.

Last week I was running 1st & 2nd gear up between 3-4,000 rpm, sometimes higher, & then I'd be at speed & would just make my way into 4th or 5th gear.

Even when the car was brand new I got 34 & I drove it really, really, really, really bad. I couldn't get used to the clutch. I'm surprised it still runs.
But anyway maybe try to concentrate on coasting more. Maybe that's the secret.

I just hit my best whole-tank MPG yet, 40.3. 262 miles on 6.5 gallons. The fuel economy computer in the car thinks this tank was 41.5mpg.

Variance between each driver, their habits, and environment could/should be huge. Imaging someone driving up Pikes Peak every day. As opposed to someone driving 50 MPH with little to no traffic.

Latest posts

Back