MPG hit with new roof rails?

:
Former CX-5 Own
Does anyone happen to notice if there is any MPG hit with the roof rails installed, with and without the cross bars? How about increased wind noise?
How difficult is it to remove/reinstall the cross bars and how difficult is it to remove/reinstall the roof-rails, after the initial installation, if at all possible?

I don't need the rails for most of the year. Ideally, I'd like to remove them and install them only when needed, if possible. Alternatively, if not advisable, I'd like to know what is the MPG/noise impact if I choose to install and keep them installed year-round.

I haven't noticed any difference in mpgs with the rails and cross bars attached. I plan on keeping both attached. They are easily removed. However, the molding had to be cut in order to install the rails. Install instructions for both items can be found by searching on here and online.

Similar here, no noticeable MPG differences before and after my cross bars were installed. My CX 5 came with the roof rails already installed when I got it. The cross bars were easy to install and should come off easily also. I plan to keep them installed. No noticeable wind noises with the rails and cross bars. However, I do noticed wind noises with my other add-on accessory, the side window deflectors at highway speeds.

Similar here, no noticeable MPG differences before and after my cross bars were installed. My CX 5 came with the roof rails already installed when I got it. The cross bars were easy to install and should come off easily also. I plan to keep them installed. No noticeable wind noises with the rails and cross bars. However, I do noticed wind noises with my other add-on accessory, the side window deflectors at highway speeds.

Do you have the OEM side window deflectors or weathertech? I am thinking about getting the weathertech ones because they are cheaper + look better (IMO).

Oops, edited because I read in your signature that you have weathertech ones! *facepalm*

Last edited:
I don't have rails or crossbars on mine but I do on my Protege5. Mileage isn't effected but the wind noise is pretty bad. But that is a P5 though.

Second Day of Ownership and First Post...

Not to Jack this thread but, Did Your CX Come With The Cross Bars? Unless mine are hidden in the back, don't know that I have them.

On a Honda CR-V I put Rails on, they made some Wind Noise so I'd guess that MPG would be effected but it's probably very small.

CX wise, I really didn't want the Rails since I doubt that I'll ever use them.

I drive my Kia Sportage ALOT, and keep track of my mileage. By just taking off the cross bars ive made a consistent 1-2MPG gain and didnt do a single other thing. That is a different car though. The experience with the Sportage is actually what made me go with no rack of any kind on our brand new CX9.

In CR testing on I think an Accord they lost 5 mpg on the highway with a roof rack and no cargo on it attached. Stick your hand out the window next time you're doing 70 mph and that should tell you just how much resistance there is with even something as small as a human hand turned sideways.

In CR testing on I think an Accord they lost 5 mpg on the highway with a roof rack and no cargo on it attached. Stick your hand out the window next time you're doing 70 mph and that should tell you just how much resistance there is with even something as small as a human hand turned sideways.

I know my Yakima rack would case a loss of mileage but not so sure of the crossbars. I might pull them off next week as a test.

5MPG loss sounds way too high.. That roof rack must have been very un-aerodynamic.

Edmunds did a similar test and the MPG went form 27.2MPG to 27MPG by installing roof rails on a Buick Enclave.
http://www.edmunds.com/fuel-economy/we-test-the-tips-part-ii.html

btw..
The cross bars take only a few minutes and no tools to uninstall/reinstall.
Despite the easy installation I always keep mine on. The wind noise and fuel economy difference are negligible.

5MPG loss sounds way too high.. That roof rack must have been very un-aerodynamic.

Edmunds did a similar test and the MPG went form 27.2MPG to 27MPG by installing roof rails on a Buick Enclave.
http://www.edmunds.com/fuel-economy/we-test-the-tips-part-ii.html

btw..
The cross bars take only a few minutes and no tools to uninstall/reinstall.
Despite the easy installation I always keep mine on. The wind noise and fuel economy difference are negligible.

The Buick Enclave is an SUV where as the accord is a much more aerodynamic sedan. Because of these difference the effects of the racks on a sedan will have a greater effect than on an SUV; same goes for the CX5.

Below is the article I cut and paste from CR for your review.

"Tests show bike racks can ruin your mileage
Consumer Reports News: July 04, 2013 08:08 AM

We're in the thick of summer travel season and vacationers are packing up their cars for getaways. Bringing bikes on vacation is a great way to get exercise and save gas touring your destination. But, our tests show that taking bikes with you will exact a fuel economy toll.

To find out how much fuel economy is actually lost with a bike rack, we tested various setups on a 2013 Honda Accord. We ran our traditional highway fuel tests with no rack, an empty rack, empty rack with wind deflector, and a rack with two bikes and deflector. The results were dramatic.

To test fuel economy, we use a precise fuel-flow measuring device spliced into the fuel line, then run two separate circuits. One is on a public highway at a steady 65 mph. That circuit is run in both directions to counteract any wind effect. A second is a stop-and-go simulated city-driving test done at our track. CR's overall fuel-economy numbers are derived from those fuel consumption tests.

The Accord LX four-cylinder used for this testing is exceptionally fuel efficient, earning 30 mpg overall--good enough to rival many small cars.

As we cruised at 65 mph in the Accord with a pair of bicycles on a roof rack plus wind deflector, our highway fuel economy plummeted by more than a third, from a miserly 42 mpg to a miserable 27 mpg. The rack alone wasted 5 mpg. Keep in mind that a car filled with people and cargo will also have an effect on fuel economy, so pack as efficiently as you can.

Going across town, this may not be a concern. But if you're planning a multi-state family road trip this summer, a mounted bike would have a real impact on your fuel costs. Plus, it may create some annoying wind noise.

2013 Honda Accord (4-cyl.) MPG @ 65 mph
No rack 42 mpg
Empty rack 37 mpg
Empty rack and wind deflector 35 mpg
Rack with two bikes and deflector 27 mpg
There are plenty of other bike rack options besides a roof rack. See our tips for choosing the right one for you.

Also, check out our guide to summer road trips for advice on preparing for your next driving vacation, including what gear to bring, how to prep your car for the ride, and how to get the best gas mileage."

I find it a little much that people are worried about racks and hitches possibly causing MPG hits. A loaded bike hitch mount and/or roof rack with enclosure might make a difference but I doubt it. We had the back storage area full, as in zero room left plus 2 adults, 2 kids and 2 bikes on a 1600KM road trip. This was through the BC interior region including the Rockies. The CX-5 got 7.5L per 100KM.

Last edited:
With the roof rails and cross bars on, I've been getting about 25 mpg, mixed highway and surface streets. I'm only getting about 27mpg straight highway. I only have 4000 miles on the car. I'm hoping the highway milage increases to the advertised 32mpg as the engine continues to break in.

With the roof rails and cross bars on, I've been getting about 25 mpg, mixed highway and surface streets. I'm only getting about 27mpg straight highway. I only have 4000 miles on the car. I'm hoping the highway milage increases to the advertised 32mpg as the engine continues to break in.

I get 27MPG fairly easily. I have a feeling if I was on totally flat terrain with cruise control that 30-31 MPG should be attainable. Last weekend I had a nightmare drive to my cottage over a mountain pass. Slow stop and go on the way over and alright coming back at 70-80MPH. I still got 27 MPG. I am impressed with mileage on this vehicle for what I can do with it and also have AWD.

I get 27MPG fairly easily. I have a feeling if I was on totally flat terrain with cruise control that 30-31 MPG should be attainable. Last weekend I had a nightmare drive to my cottage over a mountain pass. Slow stop and go on the way over and alright coming back at 70-80MPH. I still got 27 MPG. I am impressed with mileage on this vehicle for what I can do with it and also have AWD.

That's what I figured the 32mpg comes from, downhill, empty, and with the wind. Haha.

I'm FWD and it was on the mostly flat interstate 10 from LA to Phoenix. Car had 4 passengers and a small amount of luggage. I'm very happy with the car too.

Also, I don't notice any noise with the cross bars installed. I left them in their "use" position. I'm too lazy to set them to the back most position, as per the instructions.

Also, I don't notice any noise with the cross bars installed. I left them in their "use" position. I'm too lazy to set them to the back most position, as per the instructions.

I pulled my bars off for a week just as a curiosity. I did have them in the non-use position before removal. Not sure if it matters for fuel but either Chevron or Costco 87 octane. Hopefully the Costco gas doesn't come back to haunt me in future years.

Back