Moved From 2017 Signature to 2018 Signature In 4 Months

Mazda and other brands that just heat the sides are basically telling you the "proper" place to hold the wheel.

Given how safety conscious Mazda is, I would not be surprised if this were the truth.

I still wish i had just gone with a cx-5. It looks better, gets better mpg's, and since the rear row on my cx9 is useless- would have been a better choice.

Non-logical, if your hangup was the money. Logical, if you got what you wanted and the money was less of an issue for you.

It looks like more homework on your part is necessary on the CX-9. It apparently does more than you are fully aware of in the Canyons:

Tell the MX5 Autocross driver that G-Vectoring doesn't matter to the 2018 CX-9. I had to back-off the MX5 several times and give it room to breathe. The driver of the MX5 routinely runs autocross and has HPDT and HPD experience under their belt, as do I. The camera's telemetry output indicates what the video alone can't show. These turns were taken at speeds typically not addressed by the masses. The MX5 handled it well. What surprised the MX5 driver was the fact that that CX-9 could handle them seemingly just as well. However, I did make it look somewhat easy.

DISCLAIMER: I don't recommend the average CX-9 driver try this at home.

The pace looks ok in that video. You need to post one without traffic.

The pace looks ok in that video. You need to post one without traffic.

Speeds probably won't change that much, even if I did. Stock Falkens, stock front and rear bars, stock end links. Can only go so far with that set-up. I'm looking forward to a good anti-sway set-up whenever someone designs it, along with a good summer tire. Would like to study an adjustable coil-over set-up, but getting the spring rating ratios right will be important given all of Mazda's driving dynamics work already baked-in. I think doing front and rear bars first, would be the first step. I'd really have to study the adjustable coil-over approach a lot before making that mod as the front to back weight distribution really does matter relative to the spring rating.

She (the MX5 driver) was really good. She ate up all the long radius turns and would pull away nicely, well under control. However, the short radius turns is where I could tell she lacked some experience setting up entries (blowing exits) and that's where I made up ground. She was very young and very talented.

Mazda makes a nice balanced handling car but the component quality is not upto par for aggressive driving so beware. I have seen many reviewers/reports online report issues with brakes, rotors and cracked components upon aggressive driving at track and street.

My own 14 Mazda6 has warped the rear rotors just commuting in 30k miles and Mazda won't own up even though there is a recall for rear calipers for dragging issues. bad stock components to say the least.

Mazda makes a nice balanced handling car but the component quality is not upto par for aggressive driving so beware. I have seen many reviewers/reports online report issues with brakes, rotors and cracked components upon aggressive driving at track and street.

My own 14 Mazda6 has warped the rear rotors just commuting in 30k miles and Mazda won't own up even though there is a recall for rear calipers for dragging issues. bad stock components to say the least.

Probably right for the CX and Car models. Don't know if that applies for the MX models, however (I've never inspected one up close).

I was just under the car doing a chrome kit installation on both bumpers lately. Having it up on the lift, I inspected just about everything I could involving the suspension, driveline, axles, brakes, tires, wheels, etc. Everything looked looked down and in order - she's still fairly new, though.

I realize that most owners aren't going to drive their CX-9 the way I do. I do it because it can be done and its an SUV - which makes it more fun because your not supposed to be able to drive it that way unless its an X5 M, SQ5, Cayenne, or a "race inspired" Grand Cherokee SRT. I do it because Mazda engineers beg me to. They made it so responsive for an "SUV" that you almost have to drive it hard, just to see what it can do. Kind of funny that way. It is absolutely hilarious to throw it into a turn, ease into the throttle and feel the lateral-g building while balancing around the weight shift. You come out of the turn smiling thinking - gee, that was too easy. You then go in a little harder and a little steeper next time searching for the limit. Each time, the CX-9 seems to find a new limit. It is absolutely hilarious and that's what makes it so darn fun - cause - its just an "SUV" and not supposed to be that searchable.

The discovery of the performance limits of the CX-9 is worth the price of admission all by itself, IMO. Going out to have some more fun in the morning. Guys who say you can't have fun in the Canyons in a CX-9 have no idea what they are talking about. And, you get a "luxurious" ride on the way back home to boot.

Its no Cayenne Turbo. But, it is fun to be able to almost drive like one. ;)

Back