More ethanol ????

tstex

Corn is now at a 2 yr high with the EPA approving another 5% up to now 15% enthanol in our fuel.

Does any of our chemists have an idea of what this will do to our fuel systems...I would not allow a full tank of 15% ethanol to stay in any tank for any extended periods of time.

Regards,
tstex

I just bought a 2011 Audi Q7, so spent time reading the owner's manual. It clearly states do not exceed a 10% ethanol fuel mix.

From CX-9 owner's manual:

Your vehicle can only use oxygenated fuels containing no more than 10% ethanol by volume. Damage to your vehicle may occur when ethanol exceeds this recommendation, or if the gasoline contains any methanol. Stop using gasohol of any kind if your vehicle engine is performing poorly.

Audi's are notorious for misfire sensitivity. The vapor characteristics of high % ethanol blends just make it worse - especially when it gets cold. I live in the Midwest and absolutely hate ethanol. For every percentage point that ethanol is blended in, my mileage decreases by the same percentage. So with 15% ethanol blend, my mileage will be 15% less than with non-ethanol fuel. No matter what car you have, the higher ethanol content may affect cold starting, idling and will definitely have an impact on your mileage.

Back