Moonroof - WTH ... it does not self close?

Every airplane has a checklist for each stage of flight. For me in my car it's mental.

I've left my roof open a few times on accident, however only in the "vent/up" position. Wide open is too obvious to miss. Ironically the only time I ever had the roof open (on vent) during a rain event was when I intentionally left it on vent and it started raining after lol. At least 3 times that's happened

Bagger : Excellent, thanks!! Is there a place I get wiring diagrams? I would also like to look at rain sensing closure....

Last edited:
Oddly enough a BMW I was driving the other day started to open all the windows by itself and the doors unlocked. It freaked me out as I was doing 40 mph. It has the auto shut feature so I wonder if something glitched?

Bagger : Excellent, thanks!! Is there a place I get wiring diagrams? I would also like to look at rain sensing closure....

.this is not a rain sensor it,s a autoclose module when ignition is off. here are the file
motor plug color.png sunroof schema.png sunroof switch.png sunroof switch color.png

Last edited:
I deal ok with a manual sunroof close only because on two occasions I failed to latch the removable roof on my Vette and I guess everyone can guess how that went. :) So, given my disability I do use a rather LARGE note on the dash now.

I deal ok with a manual sunroof close only because on two occasions I failed to latch the removable roof on my Vette and I guess everyone can guess how that went. :) So, given my disability I do use a rather LARGE note on the dash now.

As Chris succinctly put it: Pilot's checklist!

When I was a teenager, my father was always telling me to close the refrigerator door, turn off the lights and close the back door. Now that I am a mature adult, I now must tell my kids to turn off this and that. No sympathy for those adults who are always forgetting to close a sunroof, car door, rear hatch or something. ed

I don't need your sympathy and did not ask for one. Your kids are great and so are you, happy now? Arm-chair critics are dime a dozen.

Is there a way to not make it auto close but rather to make the switch have an "automatic" feature such as the driver side window? Like and extra bump so that it closes on its own and don't have to hold it? It would be nice for the passenger side window too actually...

I left one of my rear windows about 6" open earlier this week and took in some water. I kicked myself for leaving it open and for procrastinating on applying Scotchguard. I never once thought I wanted any automated solution to protect me from myself. I spent a bit of time cleaning it up, hopefully that will help remind me not to repeat the mistake.

The 01 Audi Allroad in Europe would close all windows and the sunroof when it was locked. In the US it would do this if locked with the key it could be changed in software many did. It was one of the many nice but not important features of the car. The one feature I actually miss is the heated steering wheel.

The 01 Audi Allroad in Europe would close all windows and the sunroof when it was locked. In the US it would do this if locked with the key it could be changed in software many did. It was one of the many nice but not important features of the car. The one feature I actually miss is the heated steering wheel.
Beware: When I lamented the lack of heated steering wheel, folks here told me to wear gloves and use that box called GLOVE compartment................. along with some other comments

Is there a way to not make it auto close but rather to make the switch have an "automatic" feature such as the driver side window? Like and extra bump so that it closes on its own and don't have to hold it? It would be nice for the passenger side window too actually...

Maybe, but probably not. Automatic windows and roofs have to have additional sensors to detect obstacles (like a head, or hand...) and stop closing when they encounter them. The cost per unit is probably small, but adds up if you're making thousands of vehicles. These systems are also problem prone, resulting in dealer visits that further increase the cost. You're more likely to see such things on more expensive brands, or hyundai/kia where they tend to load up their cars with gadgets but skimp on the mechanicals.

Maybe, but probably not. Automatic windows and roofs have to have additional sensors to detect obstacles (like a head, or hand...) and stop closing when they encounter them. The cost per unit is probably small, but adds up if you're making thousands of vehicles. These systems are also problem prone, resulting in dealer visits that further increase the cost. You're more likely to see such things on more expensive brands, or hyundai/kia where they tend to load up their cars with gadgets but skimp on the mechanicals.

Darn, I would have loved to do that. I don't have a problem closing my sunroof before turning the car off, but being able have my hands free while letting it close would be very nice. Would love to hear if someone figures out a way to do this but for now I will focus on a couple other projects

Back