Miata Tire Vibration

Skyharbor

I have a 99 Miata with a nagging vibration very noticeable between 64-70mph. Lived with it until time came to get new tires, hoping that the new tires and balance would solve the problem, but no such luck. I still get a noticeable vibration on all road surfaces between about 64-70mph. Lower and higher it smooths out.

Today coming back from PA..it was there again, so did some tests, and took the car out of gear during the vibration to see if it was in the transmission (manual) but no change other than losing speed.

I don't really notice it in the steering wheel, but just an overall noticeable vibration until I move up over 70mph or drop below about 63 or so. Any ideas? The only common denominator is the before I got the new tires and after, the balance was done by the same shop. Does a Miata need anything special during wheel balancing that this guy may not have?

I've had this in the 01. An alignment and new tires fixed it's issue. My steering wheel would go off-the-wall shaking though.

Miatas are very sensitive to wheel balance. A few things to look at, but may not always be the case:

do you have locking lug nuts? I've seen them cause an out of balance tire because they are usually a good ounce heavier than regular lug nuts.

Do you have aftermarket wheels? if so, are they hubcentric, or do you have the hub rings for them?

Were the wheels static balanced? if so then go to a shop that uses equipment from the 20th century for a dynamic balance.

Try to rotate the wheels front to back. if you can feel the shaking in the steering wheel now, then you can at least isolate the shake to those wheels in the front.

Thanks for the tips. Not sure if it was static or dynamic balance, but both wheel balances were done in the same "speed" shop. Will check.

Yes I do have locklugs...hmmm could be a problem.

Original wheels, but Falken tires...aftermarket, but the vibration is the same as with the old tires. Have not had an alignment, thought that only affected the steering, and this car tracks straight ahead and old tires did not have abnormal wear to indicate toe or camber probs.

My steering wheel never really vibrates, just the whole car, not violently, but enough that it is not smooth.

Should I bite the bullet and return to Mazda dealer?

Back