Memorial Weekend - Gas Costs!

Hydrogen can be made right at the H2 stations using their existing water supply. The technology not only already exists, but is in use right now. Also, we need to stop burning to produce electricity and use solar power satellites. This was proposed 40 years ago, and could have been in place by the mid 80's if the oil and power companies didn't pay off the powers that be.

The stupidest part is that these companies would actually reap larger profits from clean fuel and energy, but are so short sighted they choose not to. The cost of 1 off shore oil rig would pay for the refit of one companies' gas stations to H2.

I know this has turned into a blame debate, but...

Wife just filled up the CX7. She put in 18.6 gallons at 3.799 (got a discount for buying food at SMITHS grocery store). That's 14.8 miles per gallon as she went 277.2 miles. $70.69 this week, but averaging around $68-$75 PER WEEK to drive the CX9. She fills up once every week as the kids go to school, groceries AND her job.

The CX9 right now is a $350 a month gas guzzler. Same as the CX7 if you use middle grade.

The post I made wasn't to find blame, because, well s***, blame doesn't change the price at the pump. The cost is here to stay, and when I bought these cars, gas was under $3.25 a gallon. Now it looks like it is heading well over $4.00 a gallon, making this car very expensive to operate.

Miami Beach Florida

100_0970.jpg

By christmas we will be paying over $5

I don't know if we will be at $5 here in Salt Lake as we have our own refineries here that help us keep the price down. But if the price per barrel continues as it is, I can assume at least $4.50 to $4.70 by Christmas.

I don't know if we will be at $5 here in Salt Lake as we have our own refineries here that help us keep the price down. But if the price per barrel continues as it is, I can assume at least $4.50 to $4.70 by Christmas.

One thing I've notice is the prices aren't consistence and I think some pumps are trying to get slick and charge a little bit more. I was in Orlando few days ago and regular was under $4 at a BP station. Now that I arrive in South Beach its over $4 at this BP. (notcool)

I know that places that are "out of the way" will always be higher. My dad lives in Gold Beach Oregon. Gas there is $4.25 a gallon. Gas on average has always been higher.

I remember traveling to Southern California (Corona) on business back in 2003. I took pictures of the outrageous gas prices over there - $2.79 a freaking gallon. I couldn't believe how high it was.

Now I wish it was $2.79.

Time to move out of the suburbs and closer to your job...oh wait rent and housing costs in the city are still to expensive to make this work...

err...

Time to move out of the suburbs and closer to your job...oh wait rent and housing costs in the city are still to expensive to make this work...

err...

I've had my house on the market since November of last year. I've dropped the price $100k now since then. The housing market sucks and is dropping while the cost of living is jumping exponentially with the gas prices. Hell, a jar of mayo has now hit $5 bucks here because of the gas prices.

It isn't just about the price of gas. It is about how the price of gas is affecting everything.

The way I see it, is if the price of gas jumps a dollar or so, and it effects you this much, you're doing something wrong with your life, and family.

The way I see it, is if the price of gas jumps a dollar or so, and it effects you this much, you're doing something wrong with your life, and family.

Ignorance is bliss, right? Who said that anyone was doing anything wrong with their life or family?

The cost of gas goes up. Our budgets have to accommodate the increase.

Retailers have to also accommodate the increase. They do it by increasing the cost on their goods.

Our budgets have to accommodate the increase in both areas.

Gas prices going up has an effect on everything and our lives and our family life must change with it. That is why people are traveling less, buying less goods, the cost of homes are dropping and the economy is tanking. Not to mention our brilliant president has us in an quagmire of a war that is draining billions of dollars a month.

Well, I guess I planned well enough that it doesn't effect me one way or another. (shrug)

If you are extended in your finances so far that this effects you, you have done some bad planning.

If you are extended in your finances so far that this effects you, you have done some bad planning.

I'd say yes and no. Without knowing someone's specific situation, you can't say someone has done bad planning; for example, my previous company had one day announced a round of substantial salary reductions, which meant that something had to give to keep the same standard of living, either be much lower 401k contributions, much less money in savings, or trading in for a fuel-efficient car for those that had to commute 45 minutes each way.

But then again, there are people that live beyond their means, and the gas prices might be the breaking point where everything crashes down around them.

I'd say yes and no. Without knowing someone's specific situation, you can't say someone has done bad planning; for example, my previous company had one day announced a round of substantial salary reductions, which meant that something had to give to keep the same standard of living, either be much lower 401k contributions, much less money in savings, or trading in for a fuel-efficient car for those that had to commute 45 minutes each way.

But then again, there are people that live beyond their means, and the gas prices might be the breaking point where everything crashes down around them.

I'd say there are far more people living beyond their means bitching, than people who are not choosing lifestyle spending over being financially secure.

Back