Memorial Weekend - Gas Costs!

Infymus

:
CX9, Mazda 3
Usually the wife, kids and I head out on a 2500 mile round trip every memorial day. This weekend, we're staying home - only postponing the trip to June 22nd.

Gas here in SLC for premium is now $4.00. Pop around you can get $3.89, or a few cents, but $4.00 is here to stay.

I have a 2007 CX7, which I have parked on the side of the house. That gas guzzler gets 14.6 MPG and would cost me $375 a month right now. So I drive my 2008 MX5 Miata instead, which I am averaging 27.5 MPG on - but come winter, I have to go back to the CX7 for a couple months till the lease is due.

Wife's car, the 2007 CX9 needs to be filled up once a week and is costing us about $60-$65 a week, averaging about 16 MPG. Last year, on our annual 2500 mile trip, we got 25 MPG, so our gas costs this June will be around $400-$450 to go those 2500 miles. Not bad, that beats four plane tickets.

This fall my lease will be up on my CX7 (thank God, what a freaking brick) and I will be dumping it for a Mazda 3 5 speed (non turbo) to combat the gas costs.

For the wife, her lease ends next March, and we need the bigger car - but gasoline is seriously eating into our budge. What used to be last year $300-$400 a month in gas costs is now $700-$800 a month. And big gas guzzlers like the CX9 are really hurting the pocket book. I have to make a big decision. Stay with the CX9 and pay the huge gas costs, or go back to a smaller car and save some money.

Gasoline, it's whats for dinner. $4.00 is here to stay. At $135 a barrel for crude, I predict by the end of the year, we will be at $170 or more. Next year, gas will be in the mid $4.00 dollar range. And to lease out a 2009 CX9 that only gets 16 MPG means a huge sacrifice to the family budget. Car companies had better start changing because we are starting to scale back.

Amenities and comfort? Yes, the CX9 has it. But with the lease payment AND the tremendous monthly gas payment, well, there is a chance we may be walking away.

Last edited:
SUVs are taking a beating right now, I believe Ford will be cutting back on production, so I guess they better stop producing crappy cars. The only "sensible" SUV right now is the Highlander Hybrid, which I believe gets a combined 24 mpg (basically 24 city, 24 hwy). Otherwise, a diesel would be nice, but diesel prices are also high, so you just can't win.

I'm not too impressed with the gas mileage on our CX-9, but it had everything we wanted, especially that 3rd row. Station wagons would be more economical, but no third row.

We're hanging on to our CX-9, I hope that oil speculators all get wiped out in a giant tidal wave and gas prices come back down to a semi-reasonable level.

If the price of gas goes up anymore, rappers are going to start drinking it. Maybe they already do, I don't watch American TV.

If the price of gas goes up anymore, rappers are going to start drinking it. Maybe they already do, I don't watch American TV.

Smart person... :D

The cost to fuel the 9 isn't ideal but it's better than what I used to drive. Trying to do anything with it right now would just be throwing money away for me in terms of lost value.
Things will settle back down eventually and prices stablize but I don't anticipate ever seeing sub $3.25/gal fuel again. If Mazda/Ford were smart they'd be looking for ways to reduce weight and be considering a light duty diesel engine alternative. They can talk EcoBoost all the want, but the real issue with the 9 is mass to get moving and diesel can simply do that more efficiently because of the torque characteristics.

Unfortunately there aren't any easy answers this time. The problem is going to be with us for a while and it will be painful.

Ted

Cheapest regular gas in my part of Chicago suburbs is $4.29 right now. It's pushing $5 in the city for premium!!!

I'm using a VERY gentle foot on the gas pedal and managing almost 21mpg with about 60% of my driving at 60mph (not 70mph anymore!).

Ford should have stolen the Land Rover V8 Diesel from the Range Rover before they sold it to the Indians. It would have been perfect:

- 3.7 litres
- 200kW (271PS) @ 4,000rpm
- 640Nm (472 lb/ft) @ 2,000rpm
- Urban L/100km (mpg) 14.5 (19.6)
- Extra urban L/100km (mpg) 9.2 (31.2)

Remember that Imperial gallons are slightly smaller. This means that MPG should be divided by 1.20 to get US equivalent

This is on a vehicle that weighs in at 2717 kgs.

Range Rover UK Web Page

You guys don't know how lucky you are, you are paying US$1.05 per liter.

Over here we are now paying A$1.50 or US$1.59 per Liter which would be the same as you paying US$6.00 per gal.

But to make it worse, we have been told we will pay A$2/L by xmas (US$8/gal):eek:

Its time to get the ole pushbike out from under the house.(sad2)

There is really only one solution, but as long as the oil companies have everyone scared or in their pocket, we will never see it...

Hydrogen Fuel Cel. PERIOD

I hear all kinds of justifications for the high gas prices, but the bottom line is net profit, and our oil companies, with price collusion, are killing us. I'm not against somebody making a profit, but the current profits are outrageous by any standards. Time to organize a nationwide protest - don't buy any gas for 2 weeks - call in sick for work if you need to.....

Time to organize a nationwide protest - don't buy any gas for 2 weeks - call in sick for work if you need to.....

that's idiotic. if you want to make a difference, change your lifestyle - use mass transit, buy an electric car, bike to work, or work from home. I fill up about once a month.

Last edited:
You guys don't know how lucky you are, you are paying US$1.05 per liter.

Over here we are now paying A$1.50 or US$1.59 per Liter which would be the same as you paying US$6.00 per gal.

In my part of the world, a 3rd-world country, Regular Unleaded goes for 1.17 US$ per liter... or an equivalent of 4.42 US$ per gallon.

add the 3rd-world traffic jams, flooded streets,etc (bang) makes our CX-9 only go out at night and the weekend.

Is there anyone else here in addition to me that just really doesn't care, and is tired of hearing about the high gas prices every 15 minutes throughout the day? Since there's nothing I can do about it, and I will drive what I want, I just don't worry about it!

I went from a RX8 to this CX9, and the 9 gets better MPG. If you don't drive much the 9 rocks. We can always get a compact car for work/trips.

There is really only one solution, but as long as the oil companies have everyone scared or in their pocket, we will never see it...

Hydrogen Fuel Cel. PERIOD

Not to debate, but there's no one single answer, IMHO.

To make hydrogen you need to crack water, which takes power. In the USA a lot of power stations burn oil.

The way out of this fuel cost mess will be a blend of technologies. And it will be technology that solves the problem. Not drilling for more oil (look at a map of the US, we've drilled it up the wazoo (OK, unpleasant imagery there :)). Bottom line is: the answer is not more oil.

The folks in other nations, paying $8+ gallon: Well, that sucks but the differential is mostly taxes. The UK is the worst, IMHO, they are a net oil exporter with the North Sea fields. But their oil is better for things other than fuel, so they export that and import fuel.

My "prediction:" now that the consumers in the US are whining a lot (and I am one of them) the auto manufacturers will innovate to stay in business. There will be some rough times but a transition to a blend of technologies will happen. EV, Hydrogen and bio-fuels will all play a part.

My solution? Moving to a new house in a month. The bus stop two blocks down and goes directly to my office, bus pass provided by my employer. Wife drives a hybrid (48MPG, measured). CX9 parked except for family outings and Home Depot runs.

My $.02. YMMV, IMHO.

I hear all kinds of justifications for the high gas prices, but the bottom line is net profit, and our oil companies, with price collusion, are killing us. I'm not against somebody making a profit, but the current profits are outrageous by any standards. Time to organize a nationwide protest - don't buy any gas for 2 weeks - call in sick for work if you need to.....

Profit margin for "Big Oil" is about 7%-10%, less than Google or Microsoft. Their massive piles of cash are due to the volume of business they do.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/ks?s=msft
http://finance.yahoo.com/q/ks?s=goog
http://finance.yahoo.com/q/ks?s=xom
http://finance.yahoo.com/q/ks?s=bp

I do think fuel prices would be a bit more stable if the cost of the stuff in the tank was tied to the price of the oil used to make it in some manner. I think what really pisses people off is seeing the price of gas go up from one day to the next, knowing that the contents of the tank at the station have not changed or been topped off. That is counter-intuitive.

Is there anyone else here in addition to me that just really doesn't care, and is tired of hearing about the high gas prices every 15 minutes throughout the day? Since there's nothing I can do about it, and I will drive what I want, I just don't worry about it!

I do care in the sense that I want to minimize my consumption and therefore the cost to me. But your point is well taken.

Complaining about it isn't going to change anything and if one needs to drive somewhere the fuel is going to cost what it's going to cost.

The reasons for this sudden run up are suspect but if one understands anything about how petroleum is sold and distributed then you also know that blaming the oil companies is misplaced. The cost is being driven as much by a weak dollar and the commodities markets as anything.

This is likely the petroleum equivalent of the housing market bubble. An artificial run up of value by a certain segment of the market looking to make a fast buck. When the bubble bursts, as it likely will, the effect will not be good.

I definitely hope none of my investments are going into the hedge funds buying those petroleum futures and contributing to the run up.

Alternative wise, we may eventually get to hydrogen fuel cells but that's still a ways off. Until an efficient method is found to extract hydrogen and the establishment of a distribution infrastructure for it, it won't work as an alternative.

However, some recent breakthroughs in biodiesel generation will likely make it the next commercially viable alternative simply because it can be sold through the existing infrastructure.

The biggest problem is that this run up is becoming a market psychology issue and if the US government wants to avoid a big economic meltdown here they really should freeze fuel prices and commodity trading for a few months. That won't help the problem as such, but it would help calm down the rising market frenzy.

Ted

electricity can be made from coal, and US has lots of coal. Hydro is the way to go. and let's not forget about oil shale, we have almost unlimited amounts of the crap.

As dear as OUR fuel is, I really can't complain too much as my CX9 only gets driven on Sundays, I work the other 6 days and have a company supplied ute with a fuel card.
My biggest gripe is my Ski boat which loves to drink, soon I will be just taking it off the trailer, idling out 200 meters and dropping the anchor, and then saying "were here!" LOL.

Back