Meet Big Red

:
2014 Mazda3 Sport GS
Since I have had my 2014 Mazda3 Sport GS for about 18 months now, I guess it's about time I post about it on here. In the past 18 months I have driven 42,000Kms (That's about 26,000 miles for you Americans). It has been a good car so far, with only a few minor complaints. The mileage over the last 3 months has been 7.7L/100km (34mpg) with the roof rack & either the bike rack or ski box on, which is pretty decent considering the extra drag they create. The road noise is a little on the high side as well, but my studded tires and roof rack add to that, prior to installing those it wasn't too bad. I have not needed any repairs except for minor body work from a hit & run (popped out a large dent and buffed out some paint scratches).

As far as mods go, haven't really done anything yet. Installed the roof rack, Installed a satellite radio and a dash cam beside the rear-view mirror, and installed a cell-booster and mounted the internal antenna in the headliner just behind the sun-glass holder which improves the signal in the low reception areas quite a bit. Today I also installed some brighter headlight bulbs in the hi-beams some Sylvania ZXE bulbs, gonna put the low beams in tomorrow.

My to-do list includes:
Installing LED fog lights (currently have no fog lights)
and some high power LED driving lights designed to turn on with my hi-beams.
CAI or Short Ram Intake
Hood Struts
Underhood lighting
Upgrading all interior lights to LEDs
Possibly an exhaust upgrade but I'm not sure, there's already enough noise from other things right now

First day home!

Thats my 3 in the summer ready for a bike trip.

And there she is lookin a little dirty waiting to head out to the Rockies for a ski trip on Sunday

Good stuff, really like the new 3 hatches. And my P5 doesn't get that milage when its empty on summer tires and no roof racks at all...

From what I have read, the racks wreak havoc on your milage and should be the first thing you remove to improve mileage, unless you want to use them of course :)

Yeah, I went from a 2002 P5 base model manual transmission to a Subaru Crosstrek, then when I saw the New 3s I had to have one so went back to Mazda.

Weird, I got very similar mileage with my manual P5 with a roof rack as I got on my 3. If I babied my P5 I sometimes got 6.0L/100km with only the roof rack, no bike or ski box attachments.

Nice lookin' ride! (thumb)

I gotta ask, what are those 4 things on the roof of your garage? (scratch)

Nice lookin' ride! (thumb)

I gotta ask, what are those 4 things on the roof of your garage? (scratch)

Its a metal roof, they are spikes designed to keep the snow & ice from falling off and when is does slide off they are supposed to breakup the snow & ice to keep it from falling off in one big sheet

Its a metal roof, they are spikes designed to keep the snow & ice from falling off and when is does slide off they are supposed to breakup the snow & ice to keep it from falling off in one big sheet

Very interesting. It does make sense as I've seen that happen before as the sun warmed up an icy metal roof many years ago.

Of course, where I live that would probably never happen. :D

That's pretty awesome. I've never seen that on a house before.

Back