Mazdaspeed3 seats in a Mazda5?

Crazy though alert. The new Mz3/MS3 (soon to be) seats are quite the looker too and they come in beige (<-no one cares but me) :D

And the arm rest delete can be overcome by simply sourcing a center arm rest cover from a mid-size car and mount that over the existing space (CX5/7/9 Mz6?). I though about this prior and theres ample space for a wide margin of arm rest covers to be fitted.

The '14 seats not only look good but are quite comfortable and are bolstered well. I really like what Mazda is doing with their latest interiors ('13-'15). During the planning stage of the seat change I thought of adding a center armrest but so far I have not missed it. The large bolster on the speed3 seat would almost be in the way. After changing the seats it makes it a much different driving experience. I tend to keep both hands on the steering wheel most of the time now, which is a good thing.

Last edited:
I had a chance to compare a second gen Speed 3 seat to a second gen 3 GT today and found that the seats are identical except for cosmetics. So this broadens the range of seats available for a conversion into a mz5. Personally I like the first gen Speed 3 seats better, more bolstering, but the second gen may be better on long drives due to softer padding. Pics:
G__Vel1uOgMO4d9kcwDUv1WiKZf_JZoVPw-NtWw4Rjs=w286-h162-p-no
KXvW0kYM1xpMIS-fA7Yi2rx0ULxtQDVXedJcQ0Mh8Mo=w286-h162-p-no

good find! It looks to me like the seat bolstering is identical. Truth be told, i hate the red Dr. Suess polka dots on my seats. Straight black leather would be nice but then the racy red stitching is gone and i'd have to do something about seat heaters. I may hate polka dots but i like that cloth doesn't get effected by the climate at all like leather does. Decisions, decisions...It is warming up though so I fully intend to try swap this with my 2nd gen seats

I'll be interested to see your result MR6, but after inspecting the seat track more thoroughly, the mz3/speed3 seat track bolts to the exhaust tunnel on the inner rear foot, at least on gen 1 (I'm unsure about gen2). The mz5 bolts straight to the floor on all four feet. Before you unbolt anything I would take a look at those inner rear feet. Let us know!

ahaaaa, will do. I planned on washing the van tonight anyway.

I'll be interested to see your result MR6, but after inspecting the seat track more thoroughly, the mz3/speed3 seat track bolts to the exhaust tunnel on the inner rear foot, at least on gen 1 (I'm unsure about gen2). The mz5 bolts straight to the floor on all four feet. Before you unbolt anything I would take a look at those inner rear feet. Let us know!

Planned on having a look but wound up working on my brakes again. I'll be under her again this weekend. I'll take moment to poke around the seats and take pics of both the 5 and the 3.

Curious if anyone has put gen2 speed3 seats into a gen2 mazda5….. I found a set of seats for sale and interested in the swap to sit lower/get more legroom

Back