Mazdaspeed Protege vs. Mazdaspeed Miata

Which do you prefer?

• Mazdaspeed Protege

Votes: 66 55.0%
  • Mazdaspeed Miata

Votes: 54 45.0%

• Total voters
They are two completely different cars. One's a Sports Car; one's a Sports Sedan. Fairly; they cannot be compared.
Right on.

Hopefully Mazda has worked out the bugs in the "Mazdaspeed" series and the MSM will not have the same downfalls as the MSP.

sad to say, but I'd think Mazda will take MUCH better care into putting out a great product for their ICONIC roadster than our Proteges :(

nmaino said:
Hopefully Mazda has worked out the bugs in the "Mazdaspeed" series and the MSM will not have the same downfalls as the MSP.
Well, having a factory-engineered and factory-installed turbo systems as opposed to designed by Callaway and installed at the port by flunkies will make for less variance between individual cars.

A little off topic...,.But; If Mazda doesn't really impress me in the next 3 years, my next car won't be a Mazda. I have 20,000 miles on my 'Speed, and I do love it. Make no mistake. All cars have their downfalls. I accept the one's my car has. With that said, however; I may be looking at another brand next time.

AGR said:
A little off topic...,.But; If Mazda doesn't really impress me in the next 3 years, my next car won't be a Mazda. I have 20,000 miles on my 'Speed, and I do love it. Make no mistake. All cars have their downfalls. I accept the one's my car has. With that said, however; I may be looking at another brand next time.
yes, but if you do stray, you'll be back. ;)

Mazdaspeedgirl said:
yes, but if you do stray, you'll be back. ;)
Just never know. I owned one of the original Mazda 626 Coupes back in 1980. Great Car! Plus; there have been probably 4 other Mazdas in my family since then.

Given the comparison, and equally equipped; I would likely choose the 350Z over RX-8. I was really surprised seeing $33,000.00 listed on a loaded RX-8. I really didn't think that car would exceed $30,000.00. Not to mention; I still have not decided if I 'really' even like the looks of the RX-8. The 350Z, I really like.

whatever floats your boat. :) I am not always keen on judging a car by the numbers, but more on the feel. IMO, the RX-8 feels much more nimble and tossible than the Z. That's a great and very valuable aspect of a car's behaviour to me. The Z just "feels" so heavy. (dunno)

I just know that if I were to buy another brand of vehicle (we were thinking of getting a Mini S) I would just go right back to Mazdas. They just have that unique drivability for me. :)

Mazdaspeedgirl said:
whatever floats your boat. :) I am not always keen on judging a car by the numbers, but more on the feel. IMO, the RX-8 feels much more nimble and tossible than the Z. That's a great and very valuable aspect of a car's behaviour to me. The Z just "feels" so heavy. (dunno)

I just know that if I were to buy another brand of vehicle (we were thinking of getting a Mini S) I would just go right back to Mazdas. They just have that unique drivability for me. :)
I am definitely considering the Mini Cooper S, myself. I have yet to drive either the new Z or the RX-8. The feel is always important, and I have heard many great things about the feel of the RX-8. Again,the look is sooooo weird on that car. We will see. Hell! I may buy the next generation Mustang GT!!!! (peep) That's unlikely. But; I love the look - although, the feel, I doubt, can even come close to my 'Speed. My 'Speed feels incredible! (thumb)

AGR said:
I have yet to drive either the new Z or the RX-8.
(omg) You HAVE to drive them before you compare. :D The Z is awesome, but you will see what I mean about the "heavy" feeling. And as far as the 8 goes, make SURE to revv it high. It's much like my miata, very high RPM hp (if you've never driven a rotary before), so keeping the revvs up is key. You won't feel a sudden rush of hp like the boosted MSP, but trust me, before you know it, you will be soaring beyond the speed limit. I LOVE it. :D

You can't go wrong with the Mini either, from what I have heard from owners. I have yet to test drive one as well.

Mazdaspeedgirl said:
(omg) You HAVE to drive them before you compare. :D The Z is awesome, but you will see what I mean about the "heavy" feeling. And as far as the 8 goes, make SURE to revv it high. It's much like my miata, very high RPM hp (if you've never driven a rotary before), so keeping the revvs up is key. You won't feel a sudden rush of hp like the boosted MSP, but trust me, before you know it, you will be soaring beyond the speed limit. I LOVE it. :D

You can't go wrong with the Mini either, from what I have heard from owners. I have yet to test drive one as well.
Hey Diane! I know what you mean. (omg) YOU always must drive before a serious decision is made. Only a fool would make a $30,000 purchase without weighing everything. That goes for everything though. SHOP!!!!!!!!

350Z vs. RX-8

Especially in light of the fact that nearly every reviewer of the 350Z mentions that it's not a long-distance tourer...ie: any drive of over 2hrs in duration will leave you sore...the RX-8 on the other hand has been hailed by all as a car you can drive and drive and drive all day. Got a bigger trunk too.

The Mazdaspeed Miata is definitely a quicker more fun to drive car than the MSP. I have driven both and I must admit the the Mazdaspeed Miata is definitely a funner car. There a lot of MSP, MP3, and ES owners who may never have driven a convertable before and just the thought of not having the extra space is probably what keeps them away from the Miata. But, if you're like me and are a very simple person who does not have a lot of clutter, then you should most definitely consider the Miata. As far as price goes, I agree that you could buy a used S2000, 350Z, or even a slightly used RX-8 for the price of the Mazdaspeed Miata. But, I'm still willing to bet that the Mazdaspeed Miata would still edge out the competition with an additional few pounds of boost and large piping throughout. Why am I so convinced you may ask? Well, while living in Michigan a few years back a buddy of mine bought a White 1991 Miata with a Flyin Miata FM 1 Turbo kit with a simple J&S knock sensor. My only words to describe the experience are "holy shitcakes"! With the Michigan's 94 octane he would run as much as 12-16 psi. Apparenty, the previous owner had built the internals aswell. His greatest kills that I witnessed included a Ram Air 5.9L Firebird, a lot of Mustang GT's modified and stock, and a 1993 Covette. With the curb weight of 2250 on the base model M1 Miata and about 210-230whp you can't go wrong. Not to forget the fun factor of open air convertable. Hearing the turbo spool on the puppy would send chills down your spine. I dunno man, but from that day forward I had set my mind on getting an M1 Miata and now I finally have one. With the hard top of course.

At 6'4"; I don't think the Miata would be a very good daily driver for me.

If you fit in the Protege...you'll fit in the Miata (unless your height's in your legs). With the sunroof, I have no more or less headroom in our 2001 ES as I do in my 1991 Miata. I'm 6'3" and am roughly balanced in terms of leg versus torso lengths.

B.L. Zebop said:
If you fit in the Protege...you'll fit in the Miata (unless your height's in your legs). With the sunroof, I have no more or less headroom in our 2001 ES as I do in my 1991 Miata. I'm 6'3" and am roughly balanced in terms of leg versus torso lengths.
Oh; I can fit. I have driven Miatas before. But; with the top down. On a rainy day, it could be a pain in the ass. My legs are long. (36" inseam)

AGR said:
Oh; I can fit. I have driven Miatas before. But; with the top down. On a rainy day, it could be a pain in the ass. My legs are long. (36" inseam)

Oh yeah, if you are over 6'2 you will most likely have a hard time fitting into a Miata on a daily basis. I on the other hand am just below average height at 5'9 and pretty thin under 160 lbs.

msp, the miata is a tad small and only two seats could be a problem. Also its a tad expensive IMO i would rather get something used, or have the 4 doors of the pro.

night rider said:
msp, the miata is a tad small and only two seats could be a problem. Also its a tad expensive IMO i would rather get something used, or have the 4 doors of the pro.
What's up? I'm in Lubbock. :p What color is your ES?

(Go Longhorns!) ;)

Back