MazdaSpeed CAI noise reduction

I've had my MS3 CAI installed for about 6 weeks now, and although I appreciate the power gains since its installation, the sound it makes from inside the cabin is driving me up the wall. Without sounding like a chick, I wouldn't mind it sounding so loud if it didn't sound so cheap! Is there anything i can do to make it sound better? I've actually thought of reinstalling the original intake? I'd really appreciate any suggestions you all may have to reduce or improve sound.

Cheers

improve sound? its a woosh and a blow off. cant get much different unless you get a new BOV.

get a huge turbo and rework the whole engine...?? thatll improve some sound. lol.

Last edited:
u bought the car and the intake, what did u expect it to sound like.. if u dont like the sound, which by the way this is the first complaint ive heard of someone not liking the whoooosh sound, then u shouldntve bought the intake. i scare people with my intake and BOV setup..(flame)

I read about another guy who didn't like the soudn and actually got rid of his intake. Put the stock box back ina dn get a K&N drop in if you don't like the way it sounds. Or try the other short ram intakes, Cobb Tuning, and one other one I can't remember from Corksport. They may be more quite.

short ram is soooooooooooo loud!!!! dont do it. i tried to complete my CAI at work and i didnt have the time so i threw the cone on the short pipe and it was craaaazy loud. lol. like, 747 loud.

Did you get a CEL for short piping?

If I ever install an aftermarket intake, I prefer a SRI. I hate cleaning filters. Gets dirty quick next to the tire. Especially when it rains. Had that problem with my honda.

Last edited:
mine is a SRI and i do have the CEL on. I will be cleaning the filter today and hopefully I can get the CEL off once it's nice and clean.

you could always put some dynamat inder the carpet against the firewall. i am sure it would help lessen the inside cabin noise from that

I've had my MS3 CAI installed for about 6 weeks now, and although I appreciate the power gains since its installation, the sound it makes from inside the cabin is driving me up the wall. Without sounding like a chick, I wouldn't mind it sounding so loud if it didn't sound so cheap! Is there anything i can do to make it sound better? I've actually thought of reinstalling the original intake? I'd really appreciate any suggestions you all may have to reduce or improve sound.

Cheers

The previous 2 posts were uncalled for. Attitudes make people a-holes, not the cars they drive.

Anyways, why do you think the sound of air sucking into the engine sounds "cheap"? Even though I LOVE that sound, I can see how a lot of people wouldn't. That is the one of reasons why manufacturers use air boxes instead of an open filter, to reduce intake noise. Like others have mentioned, if you don't like the sound I would put the stock intake on an drop in a higher flowing K&N filter. That way you'll gain a little HP but still regain the stock sound. Any free-flowing intake is going to make quite a bit of sound, especially on a turbo car since so much air is rushing in.

The previous 2 posts were uncalled for. Attitudes make people a-holes, not the cars they drive.

Anyways, why do you think the sound of air sucking into the engine sounds "cheap"? Even though I LOVE that sound, I can see how a lot of people wouldn't. That is the one of reasons why manufacturers use air boxes instead of an open filter, to reduce intake noise. Like others have mentioned, if you don't like the sound I would put the stock intake on an drop in a higher flowing K&N filter. That way you'll gain a little HP but still regain the stock sound. Any free-flowing intake is going to make quite a bit of sound, especially on a turbo car since so much air is rushing in.

Wow, you really are calling me out huh. Just so you know, I'm well that peoples cars don't equate to their character. I was just trying to make a point using some car forum common knowledge humor.

SRT-4 owners have a rep that not wholly undeserved. I was just playing to that. If me telling someone to chill out and not call a fellow forum member a "pussy" is uncalled for, then I guess I just don't meet your strick standards for fourm etiquette. (uhm) Just take the comment in the spirit of Mazda camaraderie it was intended.

I stand by my comment, lets keep it civil......unlike those SRT-4 guys (peep)

P.S: I'd trade in my P5 for and SRT-4 if my wife would let me! :)

she keeps talking about "fiscal responsibility" and "mortage payments" BAH!

Last edited:
Sorry but it was kinda hard to tell you were joking. No harm done. It just easy to miss the humor after reading threads like this one.

i agree about the sound not being liked by everyone. its kinda funny the people who like it...well...like it. (doi!) but i bet the people who hear it outside everyday are like...damn that s**** annoying.

the short ram didnt throw a CEL and neither did the whole CAI.

your best bet is what people are saying about the K&N. you could also cut another hole under your filter in the airbox and remove that awesome pipe that comes out of it for some more airflow. then your getting as much air possible out of the stock airbox. goodluck.

Thanks for the assistance and advice guys. I know I'm not the only one who may feel that way regarding the CAI, and that's why I posted-idiotic and rude comments not withstanding!

Cheers

If you opt to go back to stock I'd bet it would be easy to get $250+ for your used CAI so long as it's in good condition.

Back