Mazdas are extremely reliable. Don't waste your money on an extended warranty

If you had, you might still be looking for a vehicle, because nothing out there is perfect, especially in this price range. I suggest that you temper your expectations, and refrain from putting the cart in front of the horse. There's nothing wrong with being cautious, but keep in mind that time spent worrying about a potential issue is time lost enjoying a currently trouble-free car.
So true. I could tell you stories of friends and family members that bought other makes and models, and they all had their quirky issues and recalls. No brand is immune.

I too was surprised at what the parts guy told me at the dealership re: seat cushion. I'm not paying that, only to possibly have it fail again in another two years.
There was no CD in 2017. It first came out in 2018.
So...that's not even an installed price?

According to Consumer Reports recent survey (if you believe in it), Mazda is the 4th most reliable brand behind Toyota, Lexus and BMW. They were 2nd last year. I'm surprised to see BMW in 3rd place!
Usually I take anything Consumer Reports puts out with a massive helping of salt, but in this case I would go with a healthy sprinkling.
Mazda has been the most reliable for myself. I bought a used base model 2011 Mazda CX-7 this past May, 1 owner, had 152,000 kms and was always dealer serviced. It currently sits at 165,000 kms and the only thing I have had to replace was a bad O2 sensor. I have to do the brakes this month or next, but otherwise it has been a solid suv for my daily commute.
My wife hates it as it doesn’t feel like the CX5 and its wider width, along with the basic stereo.

Usually I take anything Consumer Reports puts out with a massive helping of salt, but in this case I would go with a healthy sprinkling.
Mazda has been the most reliable for myself. I bought a used base model 2011 Mazda CX-7 this past May, 1 owner, had 152,000 kms and was always dealer serviced. It currently sits at 165,000 kms and the only thing I have had to replace was a bad O2 sensor. I have to do the brakes this month or next, but otherwise it has been a solid suv for my daily commute.
My wife hates it as it doesn’t feel like the CX5 and its wider width, along with the basic stereo.

Was that the CX-7 with or without turbo? Aren't the turbo ones problematic? Almost purchased one back in 2007 but passed on it.

Was that the CX-7 with or without turbo? Aren't the turbo ones problematic? Almost purchased one back in 2007 but passed on it.
2.5 NA. I did my research and with the amount of problems the 2.3 turbo had, there was no way I was going with the turbo.
I’m happy with the 2.5. I was originally looking at a 2012 ford escape but I couldn’t find one that wasn’t rusted out. I wanted something different and I have been happy with the cx7 since there is no rust on the body.

Why not just replace the heater element? That wouldn't be expensive at all.
Doesn't work that way. The heater element is buried inside the seat cushion. It's all one piece.
They have to remove the seat bottom, pull back the leather cover, and replace the whole seat cushion. Then pull/stretch the leather cover back over the seat, and hope it done right.

They have to remove the seat bottom, pull back the leather cover, and replace the whole seat cushion. Then pull/stretch the leather cover back over the seat, and hope it done right.

That's how all seat warmers work: yes, you have to disassemble the seat bottom, and pull the cover off. Under that cover is the heating element. That's what I'm saying, instead of using the faulty Mazda elements, replace them with an aftermarket one.

Once you have the new elements in place, you pull the seat cover back over and you just need some hog rings to cinch it down.

People install heated seats all the time, it's all basically the same process, be it factory or aftermarket.

That's how all seat warmers work: yes, you have to disassemble the seat bottom, and pull the cover off. Under that cover is the heating element. That's what I'm saying, instead of using the faulty Mazda elements, replace them with an aftermarket one.

Once you have the new elements in place, you pull the seat cover back over and you just need some hog rings to cinch it down.

People install heated seats all the time, it's all basically the same process, be it factory or aftermarket.
I wasn't aware of these kits, thanks for posting.

Doesn't work that way. The heater element is buried inside the seat cushion. It's all one piece.
Yeah, just got burned with this at the dealer. "Not a covered part" . Paid a $89 diag fee and got a car wash. Woohoo! The title on my E/W contract says "total confidence".... lol. Guy at the dealer says it's $700 installed. A seat blanket is cheaper....

Yeah, just got burned with this at the dealer. "Not a covered part" . Paid a $89 diag fee and got a car wash. Woohoo! The title on my E/W contract says "total confidence".... lol. Guy at the dealer says it's $700 installed. A seat blanket is cheaper....
You have a Mazda factory extended service contract and it says in your contract that a heated seat element is not covered? I though a total confidence contract was an exclusionary warranty, meaning that it covers everything except what it explicitly listed as non covered components.

You have a Mazda factory extended service contract and it says in your contract that a heated seat element is not covered? I though a total confidence contract was an exclusionary warranty, meaning that it covers everything except what it explicitly listed as non covered components.
There's a few items on the exclusion list, one of them is upholstery. I'm guessing that's why. I went to Mazda to email them about it but the address isn't there due to "high volume". Looks like it's gonna be a phone call. I guess there's a lot of people emailing them congratulating them on a good quality product... :oops:

Back