Mazda5 exhaust compared to Mazda3 exhaust?

njaremka

Wiggity-Wack-O-Tack
Contributor
:
2012 Mini R55
Might be a long shot, but I figured I would ask...

Does anyone have a picture showing a comparison between the Mazda5 OEM exhaust and either a Mazda3 or Mazdaspeed3 system?

Umm, I can tell you that the ms3 exhaust is significantly different...

The ms3 downpipe off the turbo mates to a separate midpipe, then to the cat-back in the ms3. In the mz5, the manifold, "downpipe", and midpipe are all one piece.

The joints between sections are not in the same places on the ms3 a day mz5. I had to make a custom midpipe to join my ms3 dp to mz5 cat-back; a ms3 midpipe (aka test pipe) did not fit.

Last edited:
i know they are different, but i'd like to at least see the two compared to each other to see where the major differences are.

uFTUTew.png

I'll try to get you some pics of a gen1 mz3 exhaust, it may take me a day or two. I can tell you that gen2 mz3 is actually closer before the rear axle to the mz5. Gen1 mz3 has the muffler beside the fuel tank where mz5 is at the outlet. No joint in the gen1 whereas gen2 and mz5 have a joint just before the rear axle.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the assistance. I have to replace at least my Mazda5 mid-pipe, and I'm trying to investigate the least expensive way of getting it done.

Least expensive way? A mom-an-pop muffler shop will cut out the rusty section and weld in a replacement pipe in 20 minutes, for like $30. (plan to repeat every 3 years though, with this solution.)

Or did you mean least-expensive-NON-cut-and-weld method?

I think sac02 is correct that the cheapest route is to have it repaired vs. replaced.

We plan on keeping the car for another 5 years, if we can. I've had exhausts replaced by the "cut-n-weld" method before, and would find myself lucky if that repair lasted more than a year or so. I'd like to get the whole thing replaced, engine to bumper, but we will have to do some additional suspension work on the car in the next year or so, also. If i can use some Mazda3 parts, even better, since they are much more plentiful.

Least expensive way? A mom-an-pop muffler shop will cut out the rusty section and weld in a replacement pipe in 20 minutes, for like $30. (plan to repeat every 3 years though, with this solution.)

Or did you mean least-expensive-NON-cut-and-weld method?
Having used a shop like this before, the work can be extremely poor and the welds look horrible. Of course, ymmv. I had mine fixed on an old car, and upon inspection, I saw that there was a leak, and had to go back to get it fixed.

Sent from my LG G Pad 8.3

I don't think you're going to have much luck using mz3 parts without some cutting and welding. Walker Exhaust makes a replacement midpipe for our 5's. I would check their website.

Having used a shop like this before, the work can be extremely poor and the welds look horrible.

I agree completely. I was just supplying the correct answer when the request was simply "cheapest way possible". OP hadn't said yet what his quality expectations were yet. :p

And the mom-n-pop solution is very much YMMV, some are good but many are absolute trash and do poor work.

I agree completely. I was just supplying the correct answer when the request was simply "cheapest way possible". OP hadn't said yet what his quality expectations were yet. :p

And the mom-n-pop solution is very much YMMV, some are good but many are absolute trash and do poor work.

Do you have any pics of the MS3 gen 2 exhaust on your car from the back? I want to see how that looks, before putting my MS3 exhaust on the 5.

Los Angeles is admittedly the world capital of customizing. There are TONS of excellent mom and pop exhaust shop. Been using them for over 15 years.

Go back and look, I never said "Cheapest" - I said "Least Expensive". In my mind, there is a BIG difference between those two phrases. "Least Expensive" still implies quality. "Cheapest", well...

I would go with a Mazdaspeed3 exhaust, if I could confirm it will sort-of "bolt" on. The difference between Mazda5 and Mazdaspeed3 is only 4.7", all of it between the axles.

Where's that "roll eyes" emoticon?...

I guess we can argue semantics, in which case I would counter with, "If thats what you meant, you should have said 'inexpensive' instead of 'least expensive' because they are different."

Or we can agree that tone is hard to convey via the internet, I'm being a pedantic price, and move on to help with the exhaust question.

So remind me, which specific part of your exhaust is leaking? You said "midpipe" - does that mean the section that contains the secondary cat, and is the long piece in the system? because in my recent history I've been dealing with ms3 parts for my setup, and in that system, "midpipe" means the very short piece that only contains the secondary cat.

Where is it rusted through? If it is rusted in the middle of a straight plan pipe, the muffler shop cut-n-weld idea isn't that bad. If you've got a hole in the cat or resonator, then a new section makes more sense.

Looking at the diagrams, the first and second gen 5 share mounting points, but not the 3. You have to add brackets to use a mz3 part, it appears.

The Gen1 speed exhaust takes as much modification to fit the 5 as the gen1 mz3. But those are relatively minor. Some sections have to be lengthened and the correct flanges welded onto the leading end to bolt up to the mz5 manifold.If you can get your hands on a complete gen1 speed 3 exhaust I say go for it. But you would still have to have someone splice/welded sections in which goes back to your longevity dilemma.

Back