Mazda Wix Filter #57002 - Issues!

:
2017 CX5 AWD Touring
Got a Wix #57002 oil filter for my 2017 CX-5. Filter has a production date of March 23, 2022 (Made in Mexico).

There is an issue with these filters. The white exterior paint is flaking off and it made its way into the filter. I tried blowing it out with shop air and there still was flakes inside the filter.

Not sure what to do except return it and get a Mazda OEM filter? I have been running Wix since they are recommended by Mazda for our engines and I have never had issues with it but these new production filters now have an issue.

Not sure how much damage paint flakes can make inside an engine but I would rather not find out.

Have you seen this on multiple wix filters or just one? Return it for a replacement?

It appears others are having the same issues and they are all recent. So it appears it was the latest production run.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...7002?msclkid=4359d21fcf0811ecb5e699ad6b38f246

Read the reviews
Okay, so I went ahead and read the reviews. Of the six, one is yours and one from a few days ago complain of paint flaking.

I did a quick Google search on the subject "wix filter paint flaking" and came up with 2 hits ... Your ^^ post here and your review on O'Reilly's site.

I'm not seeing this as a widespread problem. Maybe you're just on the leading edge of it. Have you returned the wix filter to O'Reilly's for a replacement?

Got a Wix #57002 oil filter for my 2017 CX-5. Filter has a production date of March 23, 2022 (Made in Mexico).

There is an issue with these filters. The white exterior paint is flaking off and it made its way into the filter. I tried blowing it out with shop air and there still was flakes inside the filter.

Not sure what to do except return it and get a Mazda OEM filter? I have been running Wix since they are recommended by Mazda for our engines and I have never had issues with it but these new production filters now have an issue.

Not sure how much damage paint flakes can make inside an engine but I would rather not find out.

why would one buy the wix filter when it appears to be more expensive than the oem filter?
And btw I doubt Mazda recommends Wix filters. Mazda recommends Mazda oem parts as far as I know.

and to your question, Yes return it.
if flakes get inside the oil passages (if they are not stopped by the filter or the oil pump system) then its a problem. oil valves can get stuck or other oil distribution issues can happen. And warranty repair is out.

Last edited:
Okay, so I went ahead and read the reviews. Of the six, one is yours and one from a few days ago complain of paint flaking.

I did a quick Google search on the subject "wix filter paint flaking" and came up with 2 hits ... Your ^^ post here and your review on O'Reilly's site.

I'm not seeing this as a widespread problem. Maybe you're just on the leading edge of it. Have you returned the wix filter to O'Reilly's for a replacement?

Taking it back tomorrow. I think it's an issue with the latest production run from Wix. Time will tell.

Might grab OEM if available at dealer, otherwise maybe the Mobil1 M1-108A

oem oil filters are much cheaper 7-8$.
all dealers have both in stock usually.
the value one and the taiwan made one

oem oil filters are much cheaper 7-8$.
all dealers have both in stock usually.
the value one and the taiwan made one
Yep, just picked up 4 Taiwanese Mazda filters last week, dealer had dozens, under $9. Also agree that Mazda doesn't "recommend" Wix filters.

Well my last source of OEM filters for cheap dried up, so I have a Wix filter on right now. No problems here.

Take it back, get an OEM. I also have never seen Mazda recommend a Wix before? I think folks here have recommended it only if you can't source an OEM filter as the only aftermarket filter specifically made to spec for the CX-5 (and whatever others Mazdas it fits).

OMG another oil filter that is going to get a decade long bad rap because of the 10's of thousands of oil filters they manufacture each year a couple have a paint adhesion issue reported by less than 6 people?

WIX is a good Oil Filter. I use them all the time. I have NEVER in 40 + years have had a WIX oil filter fail. This is not only mine but the countless dozens and dozens I have either sold or personally installed.
WIX oil filter meets all the MAZDA oem standards and in some of the models exceeds many manufacture specification.

My fellow forum members lets not yet again knock a product for what is apparently a very isolated incidence. Please!

Btw who installs an oil filter without looking down the cavity before spinning it up on the engine? I mean you all should be placing oil around the o-ring right? :LOL:

Taking it back tomorrow. I think it's an issue with the latest production run from Wix. Time will tell.

Might grab OEM if available at dealer, otherwise maybe the Mobil1 M1-108A
Have you considered simply exchanging it for another wix 57002, open up the box and take a look at it right there in the store to make sure everything is okay? Maybe even look at a couple to ease (or confirm) your concerns that Wix may have some production problem. Or maybe a box of wix 57002 filters fell down the stairs and two of twelve got banged up a little and the stockman tidy'd things up and put then back on the shelf, "the boss" non the wiser.

My point being, Wix is a know supplier of quality parts. I wouldn't loose any faith in them based on what you've described. If you go back to O'Reilly's and discover many more filters with the same problem and info starts popping up on the web of it then it might be a concern.

Also, I'm sure Wix would appreciate an email (or "tweet" or "insta" or however) from you directly describing your experience and displeasure with their product. I imagine they greatly value "brand image" and work hard to maintain high quality control standards and would want to know about problems in the field. You could update everyone with their response.

Back