Mazda Turbo reliability?

:
Bay Area, CA
:
CX50 PPT PMG/T
I have never owned a turbo car. I drove test a turbo CX-50. As for repairs, how long do turbos last on Mazdas before needing any repairs?

I don't recall anyone on this forum have reported issues with the turbo. Most common issue is the actual block cracking but I'm not sure if Mazda made any changes to the 2.5T in the cx-50. Generally speaking, modern turbo system can easily go 100k+. They are a lot more reliable than the old systems

As @Silly Wabbit suggested, I think the actual turbos seem to be very reliable. The engines that the turbos are mated to have had some concerns though. Some newer engines may burn some oil, while older ones may develop cracks in the cylinder head, leading to a coolant leak. It's important to keep in mind that the vast majority of these engines are perfectly fine, and only a few of them ever experience any issues. But it's definitely good to know about them, just in case.

2 channels. 1 for quicker boost at low rpm, then it opens to a higher flow channel. Think of it like your thumb on the water hose to build that pressure quickly.
Sorry, but not quite.

Twin scrolls means two channels in the exhaust manifold and turbine scroll such that the exhaust pulses from separate piston pairs are kept separate to stop them interfering with each other and so improve the power to the turbine.

Twinscroll-Turbos-07.jpg

Start at 1:10

Ahhh, well that's interesting. But that video says Mazda is using a 4-3-1 exhaust, which is then NOT dual-scroll!

After looking further, I saw this: Mazda’s Dynamic Pressure Turbo Explained. As it says in there:
"By separating the exhaust into three pathways, the turbocharger is hit with more evenly metered pulses, like a twin-scroll turbo."

So, again, it's not actually a twin/dual scroll.

Last edited:
So to clear up the confusion, the turbo in every Mazda 2.5T is a Dynamic Pressure Turbo, aside from the CX-50. On the CX-50, the turbo is a twin-scroll design. If you use the Mazda Build and Price tool, you'll see that only the CX-50's Turbo is described as a Twin-scroll Turbo, everything else is a DPT.

Why they made the change, I don't know.

So to clear up the confusion, the turbo in every Mazda 2.5T is a Dynamic Pressure Turbo, aside from the CX-50. On the CX-50, the turbo is a twin-scroll design. If you use the Mazda Build and Price tool, you'll see that only the CX-50's Turbo is described as a Twin-scroll Turbo, everything else is a DPT.

Why they made the change, I don't know.
Now THAT's really interesting. Since that's the newest model I assume all the future 2.5T engines will come like that. Maybe a cost reduction factor again (or reliability, or??)

I assume this is the marketing department getting it wrong, but it would be interesting if they would have changed the design.

I assume this is the marketing department getting it wrong, but it would be interesting if they would have changed the design.
Mazda uses a new turbo for the CX-50 that is a twin scroll that no longer uses the dynamic pressure system.

Attachments

• 275190049_10219986391922188_8791117824528963574_n.jpg
    275190049_10219986391922188_8791117824528963574_n.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 293
  • ac50un00000041.png
    ac50un00000041.png
    22.5 KB · Views: 280
Interesting, i see it still has the 4-3 exhaust scavenging set-up. It would be interesting to see how it feeds into the turbo. Also quite surprised the power delivery would be identical with the old and new set-up. I am surprised no one mentioned any differences yet.

Interesting, i see it still has the 4-3 exhaust scavenging set-up. It would be interesting to see how it feeds into the turbo. Also quite surprised the power delivery would be identical with the old and new set-up. I am surprised no one mentioned any differences yet.

I think those diagrams are of the dynamic pressure system, not twin scroll.

Ahh, OK, I stand corrected. Like youri I was confused by the 3 outlet manifold. Then I guess cyls 2 & 3 are merged upstream, and 1 & 2 merged in the turbo housing.

Well, the 2.5T in many 2021 models burn oil.
That’s pure BS. There were a very limited amount that had exhaust valve issues where they consumed oil.
The affected models built prior to June 30/22.
All were covered under warranty.
It had nothing to do with the turbo.

That’s pure BS. There were a very limited amount that had exhaust valve issues where they consumed oil.
The affected models built prior to June 30/22.
All were covered under warranty.
It had nothing to do with the turbo.

Sorry, I was talking about the whole engine and not just the turbo.

2021 Mazda3 (Japan built 2.5T) with VINS lower than JM1BP******403639 (produced before September 14, 2021) 2021 Mazda6 (2.5T) with VINS lower than JM1GL******618910 (produced before September 15, 2021)
2021 CX-30 (2.5T)
2021 CX-5 (2.5T) with VINS lower than JM3KF******472325 (produced before September 14, 2021)
2021 CX-9 (2.5T) with VINS lower than JM3TC******541071 (produced before September 14, 2021)

I have three Mazda's that fall within these VINS, a CX-9, a CX-5 and a Mazda 3 that is kept at my parents house.

And there are tons of people on the Facebook pages that have oil burning issues with 2021 Mazda 2.5T engines. Again, this is not the Turbo but the engine as a whole.

And if you think Mazda is openly reaching out to fix those vehicles or dealers will do it without pretending to know nothing about the issue, think again.

Looking at a 2021 cx-5 that also that fall within these VINS, what was your experience owning these Mazda's. Just trying to understand if all these Mazda's had the oil burning issue. My local dealer said they would not replace valve seal period.

Back