Mazda Protege 5 Rear Strut Tower Bar

hedlesschkn

:
2002 Mazda Protege5
I have searched and searched but i cannot for the life of me find the old thread where someone had made or modified a rear strut tower bar to have a quick release. basically there was a quick release (same kind of idea as the tires on a mountain bike) so you can pull the bar out and take full advantage of folding the seats down and using the whole trunk. if anyone can find that for me or tell me that its a horrible idea regardless of whether or not someone on these forums already did it i would appreciate it.

also just for regular old strut tower braces iv seen the spec GT bars that everyone raves about. i'v seen some people talk about the cheapo ebay ones (always sketch me out but how important can it be if the car doesn't need one to being with?) and the cx-6 bar as shown below
DSCN0001_11.JPG

Which of those, or another that I didn't list, is the best to get. And are any even worth it (the msp and 3 people rave about them)

I have also read that your car needs an alignment after putting in or taking out a strut tower bar, any truth to that? (if so there goes that quick release idea!)

Last edited:
I have the same rear bar as in that pic for the mx-6. It will not have nearly enough force to change camber more than a hair so that would be absolutely not an issue. The quick realease from a bicycle should work fine but you will have to loosen the lock nuts on the bar and loosen the bar to remove the quick release bolts still so really not much easier than just unbolting it which takes all of 2mins.

not sure if you have seen a spec GT bar installed but it looks like the mx-6 bar still has the bolts accessible outside the plastic panel based on that pic. Would it be easy enough to get to the bolts, maybe put wing nuts on it? in all reality I dont know that i'd ever even undo it. I'v got subs taking up my entire "trunk" area right now and i just use the backseat for storage and make do with what i have. the plan was to build fiberglass enclosures for each side for the subs and do a false floor with windows for the amps, then i have some room to put the bar...

^^Yep, takes 2 mins to unbolt the GT Spec bar. Just keep the correct wrench and hex key in the car to unbolt/bolt at will.

now you guys say this bar is from a MX6... is it from 1st gen or 2nd? just asking because i want get a rear bar soon

I was just about to say "damn it guys, now your giving me options and i have to go do research and figure out which one is better blagh blagh" then i saw that the buy it now on that probe bar is 15 bucks with 18 dollar shipping... gtfo of here, for that price my decision is already made for me (the gtspec one is 150 online, maybe used its cheaper?)

yeah i did my own little ebay search and the megan racing one is only 60 bucks with shipping! I had no idea these things were such cheap money! now i just need to get my brother to help me with my subwoofer fiberglassing project so that i have space to cut the plastics and put this bar in.
https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

Dam if i would hav known that i would have kept mines haha... I had a front and rear bar in my probe and its the same as the mx6. O well i guess im goin to have to spend some more money

Hmm... We have one in the front from factory. Why not in the rear? Also, if not running speakers in the back(or having a tall false floor) what about a rear cage? 4 mount style.
GTS_283341168-350x350.jpg

(p5 GT-Spec)
Is that much different?

Last edited:
not gonna lie, the ebay one does flex a little when weight is put on it. but cant complain for $15 shipped. if you can afford it, i'd go with the gtspec one

I got corksport rear bar best bang for the buck strong one piece design and still got space in the back.

Back