Mazda OS version firmware mystery...Help!

Hi all, I'm new here. I picked up my MX-5 (2019 Mazda MX-5 2.0 [184] GT Sport Nav+) last week, so I'm very new to this.

My question arises from upgrading my maps from 2017 to Dec 2022, using Mazda toolbox.

In the process of taking the SD card out and in the car, I somehow managed to downgrade my firmware from OS Version 70.xx to OS Version 59.00.545 EU N.

I've no idea how this happened or what the consequences of it are.

How do I get this back and, at the same time, ensure I have the most up to date OS in my car?

Can anyone advise me of the steps I need to take to restore, please?

Are you SURE that the firmware was downgraded? I've never heard of this happening and to tell you the truth, I don't believe that it's even possible as you described it.

I've seen many posts about folks wanting to downgrade their firmware (most wanted to downgrade so that they can use the hack that allows the touchscreen to operate while the car is in motion), but I believe that no one has been able to do it.

Even if it were possible, the files that are needed wouldn't be available on the SD card that contains the nav software.

How did you obtain the newer map software? Since your MX is a 2019 the map updates would have to be paid for as your 'free' period of updates would have expired.

I have two Mazdas and both are using the original firmware with no issues.

Last edited:
Hi, thanks for your response.
Yes, I'm 99% sure it said OS 70.XX - or else I wouldn't have known that was a version of firmware available. I thought I had taken a picture, but I hadn't captured it properly - I normally do this with new cars, so I know the firmware numbers and check for any upgrades.

I put the SC card that came with the Mazda my PC using the Mazda toolkit software and it told me no upgrades had been available and that I was using the 2017 version of maps. It only gave me the option to but Dec 2022 upgrade, for which I have now paid £100.

When does the free map period expire? If I've paid and they should still be available to me, I need to contact them.

So, yes I'm as still as sure as I can be that the OS downgraded when I upgraded my maps :(

When a Mazda is purchased, and it has Nav included, you have a three year period of map updates available to you. When that period is over, you must purchase either another three years, a single update, or nothing at all and just use the maps as is.

I don't know what else to tell you. As far as I can tell you're the first person to every have their firmware downgraded, either by magic or mishap.

Back