Mazda navigation inaccuracy

:
2016.5 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech
I've been keeping the maps from Mazda up to date. Even though I actually use Google maps. Thought it might be helpful to have a backup. Recently I was around 8,000 ft and coming down in elevation. This thing was so inaccurate it wasn't even funny. And I was driving on a road that's been around for A very very long time. Anyone else seen this?

WHAT was inaccurate though? The GPS where it was showing you on the map? Or directions?

GPS accuracy is a complex subject. My CX-5's GPS is accurate enough to place my car in the correct lane every time I've watched it.

How are you 'using google maps'?

I've been keeping the maps from Mazda up to date. Even though I actually use Google maps. Thought it might be helpful to have a backup. Recently I was around 8,000 ft and coming down in elevation. This thing was so inaccurate it wasn't even funny. And I was driving on a road that's been around for A very very long time. Anyone else seen this?
Commercial GPS accuracy is about 10m radius.
If your NAVI put you farer than 100m from where you were, you have got some sort of interference in your vehicle or it's malfunctioning. From other electronic devices like dash cam, etc.

At high elevation, the accuracy decreases a little. But it should still suffice for normal travel.

Software algorithm puts you on the road it thinks you could be on.... this is done based on previous locations, speed and traveling direction. (extrapolation)

Your elevation has a lot to do with it. From google:
GPS is highly accurate in the horizontal plane, but very poor in the vertical. This is due to the angle between the line of site to the various GPS satellites, and the ground. Small errors result in big differences in height, but not big differences in location on the earth (Lower elevations).
The higher you go, the more inaccurate it gets.

Back