Poll 2.5T Coolant Leak/Engine Replacement

Who is having coolant leak issues and have had their engines replaced?

• Yes

Votes: 46 39.0%
  • No

Votes: 72 61.0%

• Total voters
My experience with Medical Center Mazda was positive from start to finish. Out of the three dealers I contacted when buying, this was the only dealer that offered this warranty.

I've never had a zero percent car loan before. This was offered by all the dealers in December 2023.

Only covers powertrain.

From what I've experienced, this dealer has some of the least expensive part prices as well.

It's owned by a Japanese conglomerate company.

Only covers powertrain.
Well, I kinda see where the can do that without killing themselves. Mazda powertrains are *extremely* reliable. I'm on my 6th Mazda, and I've driven them the equivalent of to the moon 3 times. Over 750,000 miles over the time I've owned them. Other than minor oil leaks from the cam cover when they get 200,000 or so on them, each has been as reliable as a hammer.

Well, I kinda see where the can do that without killing themselves. Mazda powertrains are *extremely* reliable. I'm on my 6th Mazda, and I've driven them the equivalent of to the moon 3 times. Over 750,000 miles over the time I've owned them. Other than minor oil leaks from the cam cover when they get 200,000 or so on them, each has been as reliable as a hammer.
That's amazing. A friend drove her Mazda 280k without any issues either. She got in on the 0% financing as well.

It's comforting to have the power train warranty incase the head cracks down the road.

We are not changing our driving behaviors and enjoy it. This little turbo/2.5l has just enough power to make it a fun ride....

I'm going to say it. Those fake dealer lifetime powertrain warranties are not worth the paper they are printed on and their false promises are sales tactics. You will never get them to honor those things because they will come up with every excuse in the playbook and refuse coverage regardless if you did oil changes or not. Additionally, they require you to perform all of their bogus "recommended services" at the dealer at exhorbitant prices as a loophole to coverage. You say no or skip something that isn't even required or recommend in the owners manual for maintenance and you're done. Nothing is free and there is no way they are giving you something without getting something in return, and that is your money parting from your wallet when you bring the car in. They will find a million things that they say you should do. Its like a cell phone conpany giving you a "free" phone but only after credits to your account for 3 years at their rip off monthly prices and you are locked into a fake " contract" in order to avail your free phone.

I'm sorry to say that the only mostly trustworthy extended service plan is the oem Mazda plan.

The warranty provided is from the dealer is a Fidelity Warranty Services.

Here is the required maintenance, coverage and exclusions.

If a head cracks and takes out the engine and Mazda won't fix it, this is a fall back position. It might or might not pay. My quick Google search showed Fidelity Warranty Services paid for repairs. On a Benz engine, $52k repair bill, they paid $38k. Wow 52K to replace and engine?

This powertrain coverage had nothing to do with my buying decision. I'm skeptical if this will every need to be used or if it will pay for repairs. YET the it reads like it covers drivetrain repairs.

My guess, FWS is betting I sell the car in 3 too 4 years and Mazda makes a reliable drivetrain.

0319241630.jpg
0319241631.jpg

Last edited:
1) No dealer gives anything. The buyer pays for it one way or another.
2) Despite "warranty" in the company name not one of their products uses the word warranty, because these are not warranties. They are vehicle service contracts or vehicle protection plans, legally not warranties. Warranty law offers more protection for the consumer than contract law...these are contracts. https://www.fidelitywarrantyservices.com/#protection
3) If they find some flimsy reason to deny payment, what are you going to do? It would cost more to sue than you'd get back.

Medical Center Mazda is a good choice for discounted Mazda parts.

Out of curiosity, which particular model did you have the most mileage on?

Mazda can certainly build some decent stuff, but one power train from them is not always indicative of another power train from them.

I have a 2005 Mazda 3i with a manual a transmission, pretty much a bullet proof powertrain.. the mzr20 doesn't seem to have any major issues.. however, if you got a 2005 Mazda 3s with an automatic transmission, it is most likely rotting in a junk yard (The Mazda mzr23 was a "Frankenstein" motor, larger bore, but kept some elements the same from the mzr20, rather than completely scale the whole motor up like they should have... thus there were problems with the mzr23 down the road... the automatic transmission was a 4 speed supplied from Ford, and it was a pretty bad transmission as far as reliability went) .

On topic though, hopefully Mazda owns up to this coolant leak fiasco for the 2.5L Turbo... also hope they find the root cause of the issue and hammer it out. From what I gather we're seeing this issue in some 21+ models too?

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, which particular model did you have the most mileage on?
I only had 30,000 on my 92 Mazda 323 SE when it got stolen.
Replaced that one with my 93 Protege LX that had 90,000 when it saved my family from death.
Had 200,000 on my 93 B3000 when I got t-boned in the driver's door. Even though it was completely totaled and wrecked, I drove it to it's final resting spot.
My 04 Mazda3S had 230,000 on it when I sold it, and other than using a quart of oil between changes, it was solid as a rock
My 12 Mazda5 has 160,000 on it now, with no major issues at all
My 13 CX-5 has 115,000 on it, and again, no problems.

That's 825,000 miles and counting of mostly trouble free Mazda ownership. And this is my Protege. It's why I'll always have a Mazda in the stable.

Attachments

• protege.jpg
    protege.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 15
I only had 30,000 on my 92 Mazda 323 SE when it got stolen.
Replaced that one with my 93 Protege LX that had 90,000 when it saved my family from death.
Had 200,000 on my 93 B3000 when I got t-boned in the driver's door. Even though it was completely totaled and wrecked, I drove it to it's final resting spot.
My 04 Mazda3S had 230,000 on it when I sold it, and other than using a quart of oil between changes, it was solid as a rock
My 12 Mazda5 has 160,000 on it now, with no major issues at all
My 13 CX-5 has 115,000 on it, and again, no problems.

That's 825,000 miles and counting of mostly trouble free Mazda ownership. And this is my Protege. It's why I'll always have a Mazda in the stable.

Wow! That is some wreck, glad you and your family made it out ok to tell the story! I can see why Mazda has a special place in your heart.

Nice on the Mazda3S, you must've taken really good care of it. The 12' Mazda had one of the most robust drive train combinations in Mazda's arsenal, an MZR25 with a 5speed Aisin transmission.

Wow! That is some wreck, glad you and your family made it out ok to tell the story! I can see why Mazda has a special place in your heart.

Nice on the Mazda3S, you must've taken really good care of it. The 12' Mazda had one of the most robust drive train combinations in Mazda's arsenal, an MZR25 with a 5speed Aisin transmission.
I am meticulous in my maintenance on my vehicles. Cars are expensive, so I take care of them.

Back