Mazda Moly Oil in 5W-30: Does It Even Exist?

Yup. They’re giving me 2 free oil changes and threw in one for my wife. They’re lead tech was misinformed. The parts manager corrected everyone. I’m not pleased, but their response to the situation was adequate.

I’m curious what they do for every other 2.5T they do oil changes on. They probably use the GF4 oil they’re taking out of my car.
Just think how many other vehicles they've done this to and put wrong oil into over the years??? That's why I don't use the dealerships. Hope the dealership out here didn't put the wrong stuff in my cpo with the prior owner. 😨

Last edited:
Just think how many other vehicles they've done this to and put wrong oil into over the years??? That's why I don't use the dealerships. Hope the dealership out here didn't put the wrong stuff in my cpo with the prior owner. 😨
if you look in the manual, this is exactly the type of oil called for (5W-30, min SM/GF4 spec). Mazda has never called for any full synthetic oil for any of their engines

if you look in the manual, this is exactly the type of oil called for (5W-30, min SM/GF4 spec) now Mazda has never called for any full synthetic oil for any of their engines.
Yes, synthetic is not specified in the case of the 2020 manual, turbo or otherwise. It's not even mentioned as an option. In fact, the word "synthetic" does not appear once in that manual. The 2020 manual recommends Mazda branded oils and no others. Take that with a tablespoon of salt. It doesn't even mention a minimum GF spec.

If you specify synthetic and don't get it, that's a problem.

If you don't specify synthetic it's a good bet you won't get it.

If a dealer doesn't know which Mazda oil is synthetic and which isn't, that's a problem. It's kind of a dead giveaway if the word "synthetic" does not appear on the bottle's front label. The dealer I had do my one oil change so far didn't have a problem with getting synthetic in the vehicle even if it was their default Peak brand oil, a bulk oil I'm guessing. Better if it was bulk I suppose since it's more likely to be GF6 rather than some old bottle off the shelf. Last time I checked Mazda oil hadn't gotten past GF5.

Last edited by a moderator:
Confirmed with parts manager. It is not full synthetic. I am heading back to the dealership now.
So 0000-78-5W30-BK which replaces 0000-77-5W30-BK (Bulk) is still not full synthetic? But the MSRP $20.85 for quantity 1 (quart?) seems to be indicating this oil is expensive.

They are replacing the filter again and putting in proper fully synthetic oil. Annoying but they will fix it.
So you got genuine Ford 5W-30 GF-6 full synthetic oil again?

So 0000-78-5W30-BK which replaces 0000-77-5W30-BK (Bulk) is still not full synthetic? But the MSRP $20.85 for quantity 1 (quart?) seems to be indicating this oil is expensive.
Could be. Nobody selling -78- seems to have a picture of the bottle. One site I saw quoted as low as $15/quart. Even that's ridiculous--they better be putting gold flakes in it. ;)

Could be. Nobody selling -78- seems to have a picture of the bottle. One site I saw quoted as low as $15/quart. Even that's ridiculous--they better be putting gold flakes in it. ;)
1 litre/quart goldschlager -- $ 26
1 quart Mazda oil -- $ 15
1 quart Castrol Edge -- $ 8.28
1 quart Castrol Edge ( bought as 5 quart jug @ $20) -- $4.00
1 litre/quart Fiji -- $ 2.69
1 quart milk -- $ 1.58
1 quart gasoline -- $ 0.87

and people still complain about gasoline prices...for as much power as in every single drop of gas.

Last edited:
I just got this from RockAuto and did the oil change on my 2017 CX-5 (52k miles). I run the 0W-20 during the fall-spring but will run the 5W-30 during the summer due to high temps.

Does this oil have the high Moly content like the Mazda branded oil?

5w-30.jpg

No, as far as I know. Thats the base generic Idemitsu but its ok oil. And Mazda Moly 0w20 is kind of unique but not the only oil type for the CX5. The Zepro Idemitsu is the higher line but no longer sold for whatever reason.

Last edited:
Back