Mazda CX-9 Incentives and buying a CX-9

Scott P

:
2006 MazdaSpeed 6
The wifey wants to add another Mazda to the family, namely a CX-9 GT FWD. The current financing incentives are set to expire at the end of the month. Does anyone think Mazda will continue them into next month?

Right now, the lowest offer I've received is $32,426 for a GT with the towing package. That's about $300 above invoice. We are S-Plan, but I haven't mentioned that yet. I was hoping to shoot for or below invoice on the truck.

Anyone know anything about pricing or incentives?

It's interesting reading about Americans buying cars. How on Earth would you know the dealer invoice price? That is a closely guarded secret here in Australia.

And even if you did know the real dealer invoice price why would you expect them to sell it to you for less than that? As much as we like to screw car dealers they are in business to make money, not lose it.

it's an 'official' invoice, but I dont know where the number comes from because it's not even close to what dealers actually pay. Im sure the dealers and car buying services made it up to look like you are getting a good deal

I was also under S-Plan, and got the car for invoice minus $500. I think there's a "secret" dealer cash-back going on right now (also called Marketing Support), so they can play around with the amount that they choose to give back to you.

My S-Plan price from one dealer is $30,567 on an MSRP of $32,775 for a GT with towing package. The lowest offer I've gotten otherwise is $32,426.

It's interesting reading about Americans buying cars. How on Earth would you know the dealer invoice price? That is a closely guarded secret here in Australia.

And even if you did know the real dealer invoice price why would you expect them to sell it to you for less than that? As much as we like to screw car dealers they are in business to make money, not lose it.

Look at Edmunds.com or any other car buying site and they will show the invoice price. With all the hidden manufacturer to dealer incentives (volume, marketing, end of year, etc) they can sell the car at or well below 'invoice' and still make money.

Look at Edmunds.com or any other car buying site and they will show the invoice price. With all the hidden manufacturer to dealer incentives (volume, marketing, end of year, etc) they can sell the car at or well below 'invoice' and still make money.

Yeah, those guys make a lot of money no doubt!! (birthday)

I dont think the deals are going to go away. With the current state of the economy + fuel I can only imagine deals are going to get better on larger CUV/SUVs

I'm down to invoice plus the 1.9% financing. I was hoping for more, but I'm not having much luck.

Scott:
Read the CX-9 buying experience forum.
You will see people are getting at least $1000 below INVOICE on CX-9.
Dealers can go below invoice (official) for several reasons
- holdback (2-3% of MSRP) -> $600-700
- incentive from Mazda ($1500 now)
- sales volume discount (extra $$$$ off once a dealer reach certain sales target)
As you can see, even at $1500 OFF INVOICE, they still make money.

So, keep shopping. Don't settle with invoice. S-Plan may not get you a better deal
once the market price is below invoice (as far as I know).

In Feb/2008, I got $500 below invoice in SF BayArea. One dealer offered me $700 off, but they gave me lower trade-in (later said willing to match....). I recommend you to go edmunds.com's CX-9 forum, and ask people for fair market price in Huston area.

We just picked up our '08 CX-9 tonight. We negotiated last night and got it down to $1,500 under invoice. After pitting two dealerships against each other, we ended up getting it for $2000 under invoice. Car sales in the U.S. are slow right now, so it is to the buyer's advantage.

CX-9 Buyer need help

Hi, I am looking to get a new CX-9 and had a few questions and will really appreciate if I can get some answers.

First, how do you get dealers to get to invoice and below invoice. I mean do you start lower than invoice and negotiate it up or try to get quotes from different dealers? I can get invoice and incentive information from edmunds.com but I need some input how to get them to invoice and below. I live in midwest, minneapolis area, and anyone have any experience in buying here. SF bay area is a bigger market with competition so probably buyer has more leverage there.

Sorry for my ignorance, but what is S-plan?

Any idea about 2009 models? Is there any changes?

Should I look for 2008 ones or get 2009. I need to get one in June/July and am planning to lease. I am thinking about ordering as I think I need to be specific which things are important for me and not buy what dealer has on lot. So keeping that in mind please advise.

I heard some bad reviews about seats not being comfortable and seam a problem? Any experience?

thanks

Last edited:
Hi, I am looking to get a new CX-9 and had a few questions and will really appreciate if I can get some answers.

First, how do you get dealers to get to invoice and below invoice. I mean do you start lower than invoice and negotiate it up or try to get quotes from different dealers? I can get invoice and incentive information from edmunds.com but I need some input how to get them to invoice and below. I live in midwest, minneapolis area, and anyone have any experience in buying here. SF bay area is a bigger market with competition so probably buyer has more leverage there.

I used the Mazda website to send inquiry to the dealer's internet department. I then compared the offers and then played them a bit against each other to get the price down. It doesn't take much.

Sorry for my ignorance, but what is S-plan?

S-Plan/X-Plan is the the "supplier discount" that many companies have with Ford/Mazda. You have to check with your employer to so if you qualify. You simply can't get just use a friend's supplier code.

Any idea about 2009 models? Is there any changes?

I don't know of any changes. Most likely, they will be minor and related to color options.

Should I look for 2008 ones or get 2009. I need to get one in June/July and am planning to lease. I am thinking about ordering as I think I need to be specific which things are important for me and not buy what dealer has on lot. So keeping that in mind please advise.

I don't know when they stop taking orders. If you are that specific and can't find anything on a dealer's lot, then you should call a dealer to see if the vehicle can be ordered.

I heard some bad reviews about seats not being comfortable and seam a problem? Any experience?

I've seen one bad review about that. To me, one bad review does not indicate a problem. They feel comfortable to me, but I'm just mildly overweight at 5'11", 200 lbs.

Thanks a lot for your help. Has any one any idea what is happening in minneapolis area market.

Looks like in Houston and SF Bay area it is easy to go below invoice by 1-2 grand but it would be better to know about local market.

Also if I want to say buy from your dealer in houston area or SF bay area how much it will charge extra to deliver it in minneapolis?

jediwebdude: where are you located and which dealerships you shopped from?

Thanks

Last edited:
Have you tried contacting a dealer in Minny? I would think that would be a good start. Go through the internet department. It's a big enough city to have several dealerships around to compete.

Thanks. There are four dealerships in area per edmunds.com. By internet dept. you mean asking for a quote through edmunds free quote or mazda dealer contact? right?

Yes, just like l mentioned in my previous post. I go through the dealer links on Mazda USA. The Mazda USA site will list more dealers than Edmunds.

I bought my car earlier under S-Plan. I would not even bring up S-Plan at this point to the dealer. The current incentives are better than S-Plan.

ZoomFive

Should I look for 2008 ones or get 2009. I need to get one in June/July and am planning to lease. I am thinking about ordering as I think I need to be specific which things are important for me and not buy what dealer has on lot. So keeping that in mind please advise.[/QUOTE said:
You are officially looking at an '09 if you order one today, the cutoff for the '08
is come and gone. I understand '09 production commences July, 08.

With that said, your best shot at an '08 equipped the way you want it is to start looking soon before pickings get slim. Otherwise order an '09 the way you like, but you are looking at a September delivery at the earliest.

By the way, the only difference in '09 I am aware of is they are dropping galaxy gray mica (and one other gray tone I don't recall the name of).. Galaxy gray will be replaced with "aluminum metallic", a much lighter and more purplish shade of gray.
Also, the '09 Grand Touring will come standard with "tow prep" package,
which includes everything in the tow package except the hitch and harness
connection. The hitch and harness is offered as a factory accessory on the GT. All other models require the total tow harness package (i.e. no tow prep standard). That's all I know based on the information I gathered before buying an '08 GT with the works two weeks ago.

All in all, a superb vehicle, and I don't throw praise around lightly.

Oh yeah, If you order an '09 right now, you'll have to deal off the invoice off a comparable '08, pay the difference if the '09 comes in higher in price.
I got nearly $2,800 under invoice on the '08 in stock, and the best I could do on a factory order '09 was $900 under invoice.

Back