Mazda CX-50 Build page is now live

I wish they offered smaller wheels/taller sidewall tires on turbo models, they all come with 20's and 45 sidewall tires. For crappy roads around me that's not ideal,

Interestingly, there are different OEM hitches for non- and then Turbo models, and the Turbo version upgrades to a 7 pin wiring harness vs the non being 4 pin. And both will activate Tow Mode in the vehicle automatically when something is inserted into the hitch.

I don't know, all terrain tires, hood graphics, etc seems like overkill for urban/suburban driving this car would be used for.
I do rather like that understated hood graphic. I hope it will be available separately or at least then aftermarket knockoffs show up at some point.

An interesting comment regarding the width.

Parked next to the CX-5, the CX-50 is 6.7 inches longer from bumper-to-bumper and 3.1 inches wider shoulder-to-shoulder. The additional width is accentuated with a roofline that's 2.2 inches lower than its sibling and by a more menacing blacked-out version of Mazda's winged headlamp and grill combo. Interestingly, the way the CX-50's side mirrors sits inboard of its shoulders means that it's about 2.5 inches narrower when measured mirror-to-mirror, which could come in handy when squeezing into tight spaces.

SPECIFICATIONS COMPARED​

2023 Mazda CX-502022 Mazda CX-52022 Subaru Outback
Wheelbase110.8 inches106.2 inches108.1 inches
Length185.8 inches179.1 inches191.3 inches
Width75.6 inches72.5 inches73.0 inches
Height63.9 inches66.1 inches66.1 inches
Ground clearance8.6 inches7.5 inches8.7 inches

Even though the CX-50 is wider than the CX5 on the outside, interior shoulder and hip width are slightly less

As I suspected, the additional width is from the flares. I have a narrow one car garage, I wonder what the door opening width is like. My CX-5 doors bump against the wall right at the first door detent.

The first "drive" reviews are out today. Some people really don't like the seats. Also, the car is a bit slower than the CX-5.

Just one of many:

If I heard them correctly, seems the CX-50 may handle better than the CX-5 or at least it feels that way...Interesting after all the concern about the CX-50 utilizing a torsion beam system in the rear. Perhaps the Mazda3/CX-30 chassis and the CX-50's lower/wider dimensions really do make a difference...

They make a lot of great points in the video, highlighting when you'd want the CX-5 and when you'd want the CX-50.

If I heard them correctly, seems the CX-50 may handle better than the CX-5 or at least it feels that way...Interesting after all the concern about the CX-50 utilizing a torsion beam system in the rear. Perhaps the Mazda3/CX-30 chassis and the CX-50's lower/wider dimensions really do make a difference...

Yeah it sounds like that's what they said, at least on paved roads. It's nice to hear that the torsion beam system performs well despite what everyone says about the system being inferior to the CX-5's suspension. Odd that Mazda removed the Traction Control button from the CX-5.

I've seen a few reviews and some mention tire noise and wind noise along with a harsh ride. However, one CX-50 with a province of Quebec plate was shod with Pirelli Winter tires so let's not jump to conclusion too fast! However, just wondering if the CX-50 has triple weatherstripping and acoustic glass for the windshield and front windows like on the CX-5.

There was also a mention of doors making a tinny sound when closing, perhaps this was an isolated case as this is not the case on my CX-5 and I doubt Mazda would cut corners on a new model; IMO if this is the case, then they should correct this quickly and not wait another 3 years for a mid cycle refresh.

Looking forward to see a road test on more basic models equipped with 17" tires!

Yeah, several reviewers have made that comment. I think overall, the reviews have been very positive.

Honestly, I think the CX-50 looks amazing and the video's on the road really emphasize the more muscular look. My daughter, when she saw the CX-50 thought Mazda made a his (CX-50) and her (CX-5) type car.

Yeah, several reviewers have made that comment. I think overall, the reviews have been very positive.

Honestly, I think the CX-50 looks amazing and the video's on the road really emphasize the more muscular look. My daughter, when she saw the CX-50 thought Mazda made a his (CX-50) and her (CX-5) type car.
I don't know about "his or her" I feel like it's "sleek or boxy", "city or trails" They seem to be a nice pair and coexist well so far though

Back