Mazda CX-50 announced

Thanks…I read it too quickly and missed the lame sarcasm. My point obviously is that in a normal economy, you’d have some experience on your CV but they’re waiving that.

Actually, was not being sarcastic and actually wondered if that was the case.

And, if you are implying that they are basically hiring anybody and training them on the fly, consider me worried.

Here in SC, BMW works with the local community college to train the automotive workforce. They started that early in their venture in the USA and it has payed huge dividends. It was one of the reasons Mercedes started some of their van production in the state and why Volvo came as well. BMW now has a joint venture with the community college and Clemson for more advanced automotive design and engineering. You have PhD kids from Clemson on the floor with the community college kids, all learning together. It is a neat system and those community college kids take 1-2 years before they are actually working. Of course, they are learning lots of other things along the way and honestly, it might not take that long but still, I get the feeling they are trained well.

Toyota has been there for a while and I hope they would have invested in something like that.

Last edited:
The Mazda Canada site says the CX-50 is coming in May.

9de13b4b.jpg

I wonder how they will price the cx50 vs the cx5? I see they still have the cx3 in CA, quite a bit different price than cx30.

I wonder how they will price the cx50 vs the cx5? I see they still have the cx3 in CA, quite a bit different price than cx30.
Good question...I don't recall seeing pricing details yet but it seems how the two are priced could be a tell about the future of the CX-5. Hmmm...Food for thought...

Update...Did a quick search and found this article from Rudolph Mazda West... https://www.rudolphmazda.com/blog/2022-mazda-cx-50-price/

It mentions that the CX-50 may start around $28,000 MSRP (base) and top out at around $40,000 MSRP. So are we looking at similar pricing to the CX-5 with the possibility of getting closer to $50K for the highest trim..?

Antone,
Your link is broken.

Did a quick search online myself. Most articles mentioned that CX-50 will be priced slightly higher than CX5. CX5 hits $40K in US with Signature model. With 2.5T turbo, it is around $38.5k.
Not sure of CX-50 will also have a comparable Signature model. It is positioned as a sporty SUV afterall.

Antone,
Your link is broken.

Did a quick search online myself. Most articles mentioned that CX-50 will be priced slightly higher than CX5. CX5 hits $40K in US with Signature model. With 2.5T turbo, it is around $38.5k.
Not sure of CX-50 will also have a comparable Signature model. It is positioned as a sporty SUV afterall.
Thanks for the heads up, seems to work fine on my end. It does take time to load though…

Good point about how the CX-50 is positioned…In the article I linked to it gives the impression that the top spec CX-50 (whatever that may end up being) will be more expensive than a top tier CX-5. This would be in-line with Mazda’s desire to expand its model and price range. So however it’s positioned ultimately, seems they intend it to have upmarket potential.

We’ll have to wait and see…🙂

The CX-50 has a similar trim structure as the CX-5, with 2.5 S models coming with the same naturally aspirated 187-hp 2.5-liter inline-four engine that we're familiar with from other Mazda models. Select ($29,425), Preferred ($30,725), Preferred Plus ($33,165), Premium ($35,625) and Premium Plus ($37,625) packages will be available with varying levels of equipment. A more powerful 256-hp turbocharged version of the 2.5-liter engine is offered on the CX-50 2.5 Turbo models, starting at $37,625.

Unlike the CX-5, the CX-50 won't call its top trim level Signature, instead going with the Premium Plus moniker for the fully loaded 2.5 Turbo model that costs $42,775. All-wheel drive and a six-speed automatic transmission are standard across the board, and a hybrid model is coming later on with a powertrain sourced from Toyota.

Pricing seems to be inconsistent, but we have official press release from Mazda now:

Starting MSRP FOR THE 2023 MAZDA CX-50 IS AS FOLLOWS:

PackageStarting MSRP
CX-50 2.5 S$26,800
CX-50 2.5 S Select$28,200
CX-50 2.5 S Preferred$29,500
CX-50 2.5 S Preferred Plus$31,940
CX-50 2.5 S Premium$34,400
CX-50 2.5 S Premium Plus$36,400
CX-50 2.5 Turbo$36,400
CX-50 2.5 Turbo Premium$39,550
CX-50 2.5 Turbo Premium Plus$41,550

Back