Mazda CX-50 announced

Diff vehicles for diff people. It does look longer and not as tall than CX5.
Mazda is going after the Subaru Outback segment. Smart move.
News says that there will be EV and hybrid variants coming.
No mentioning of actual dimensions yet.

Nice to see a Panoramic Sunroof.

2022-Mazda-CX-50-SUV-_0007_Layer-20.jpg

Colour me impressed. I think they did a pretty good job overall. The decals on the hood are a nice touch. My only nitpicks are the dimples at the top of the wheel arches (but I'll admit that its a distinguishing feature that sets it apart) and the fake vents on the rear bumper.

Interesting to see the "mascara" around the headlights. I think it works, at least in the pictures. I could totally see myself driving this exact car.

2023-Mazda-CX-50-SUV-7.jpg

IMO, interior is much better than the current CX5. The new leather option and the new dash layout is a breath of fresh air over the CX5 plus if you account for the new panoramic roof, a first for a Mazda I think they have a hit.

One thing I am worried about, does this have more room inside than the CX5 or not. While the car looks bigger I am not really sure if it is or not and if that will translate to a sightlier bigger interior.

I think it’s safe to say this is not going to replace the CX-5 despite earlier rumors. Seeing this, I’m looking forward to a new more stylish CX-5 with pano roof, sleek dash etc.

Again, love the awesome coverage and analysis here…I also love what Mazda has done with the CX-50! I agree they have pulled it off and it is a smart move…Moves like this should definitely help Mazda to continue growing as a company and brand.

As mentioned here…It would seem like the CX-5 can coexist with the rugged CX-50 but on the other hand…Seems like Mazda is committed to phasing out single digit models.

Also as mentioned, this could be a hit, a big hit!

Here are some visual comments along with projected pricing.

It’s a bit longer than the CX-5, with most of that extra length dedicated to cargo space. It’s also wider, but its roofline is lower. Roof rails are standard, and a roof carrier is one of numerous off-road-y accessories that’ll be available. The rear doors open very wide, and with that lower roofline, you’ll be able to step up to access items.

no word on hauling capacity yet, but it’ll be “more than CX-5,” which tops out at 2,000 lbs. When tow mode is selected, GVC helps to offset the extra weight on the car’s back end on turns. The all-wheel also adjusts for any yaw the trailer creates.

The “estimate” provided by a Mazda rep is that it’ll be priced above the CX-5, mirroring the gap between CX-30 and CX-3. Those models are around $3,000 apart, and the current CX-5 ranges from $29,200 to $42,950, so we expect the CX-50 to start around $32,000. (This is Canadian pricing comparison)

I think it’s safe to say this is not going to replace the CX-5 despite earlier rumors. Seeing this, I’m looking forward to a new more stylish CX-5 with pano roof, sleek dash etc.
??? Why is it safe to say ???

While both may be available side-by-side at first, I don't see that being a sustainable product decision over the long run.

??? Why is it safe to say ???

While both may be available side-by-side at first, I don't see that being a sustainable product decision over the long run.
Time will tell. I'm personally not looking for a longer lower wider CX-5.
Funny how the rumors for a year were that the CX-50 would be the Mazda BMW X-3 fighter.
Now it seems to be the urbanites' Outback. Not sure that's the CX-5's desired niche, so I’m hoping for a new CX-5. YMMV.

Last edited:
Time will tell. I'm personally not looking for a longer lower wider CX-5.
Funny how the rumors for a year were that the CX-50 would be the Mazda BMW X-3 fighter.
Now it seems to be the urbanites' Outback. Not sure that's the CX-5's desired niche, so I’m hoping for a new CX-5. YMMV.
Meanwhile, every time I go out in my wife’s CX5, I’m like “I need just a bit more space. This stroller eats all of the hatch.” I wish Mazda could take on the X3, but the CX5 is fighting an uphill battle there on brand recognition. I think aiming for the market share where the CrossTrek and Outback fall short might be an easier win. Subarus are functional but generally hideous and boring. Mazdas have been attractive and fun, but they’re at the bottom of their classes for cargo space.

This could be good candidate to replace my CRV. Hopefully it is not too big, read an article which mentioned it is even wider than cx9 which would be bit to wide for my taste. I was hoping a new 8 speed transmission but that seems to be only for upcoming RWD platforms.

Is this a quiz?
That is Toyota Corolla Cross at the lower left ... :)
We know the other two on the right.

No, but you can see the similarity between the Corolla Cross and the CX-50. I personally really like the look of the CX-50.

I find the vent in the dash odd, maybe it's the pic angle but it being off centre might seem odd. Small thing but it had me looking at the pic for a few secs.

I'd usually prefer my vehicles pretty rather than rugged, but having said that, nothing for me here is offensive or a deal breaker.

The main factor for me is how it drives. I don't need it to be the fastest (although that'd be great), but I need it to handle. I like SUVs, but I want to squeeze as much driving enjoyment out of them as i can. If this is as nimble as CX5s, I could do the rugged thing.

If its driving dynamics resemble a Subaru, I'll pass. But Id think that outcome is unlikely.

Back