Mazda CX-5 Vs. Acura RDX

I share the same opinion as others who have posted replied here. I would take my Mazda CX-5 over an Acura RDX. I went from an Acura (MDX - 3-row, I know) to a Mazda (CX-3 - I know, very different) but was still impressed with the Mazda quality and attention to detail. I had my MDX for 8 years but the first three had many dealer visits due mainly to TSB-type fixes because of quality issues (ELS audio failure, various rattles, defective shocks, defective oil-pressure switch, defective power-steering pump, warped dash panels, defective belt tensioner, etc.). The last 4-5 were okay, but the point was that Acura quality was, for me, an oxymoron. The Mazda CX-3, though ultimately too small for my needs, was a fun-to-drive, pleasure to own and I knew the CX-5 would be perfect, which it is even two years later. Go with the Mazda.

The RDX is a better car, no doubt. I have a 2021 CX-5 GT Turbo, and my parents have a 2020 RDX Elite. I got to drive them back to back over the past few weeks. The RDX has MUCH better seats, better interior space, much more useable trunk, better suspension, better transmission, and a much smoother and more enjoyable engine. If it wasn't for the $12,000 difference and much better interest rate, I would have bought the RDX...

IMG_3668.JPG

The RDX is a better car, no doubt. I have a 2021 CX-5 GT Turbo, and my parents have a 2020 RDX Elite. I got to drive them back to back over the past few weeks. The RDX has MUCH better seats, better interior space, much more useable trunk, better suspension, better transmission, and a much smoother and more enjoyable engine. If it wasn't for the $12,000 difference and much better interest rate, I would have bought the RDX...

View attachment 297204
Wild how the RDX is still slower with those extra gears and hp though, lol! I like the RDX's looks, but mechanically, no thanks.

Wild how the RDX is still slower with those extra gears and hp though, lol! I like the RDX's looks, but mechanically, no thanks.

The RDX is definitely faster. 40Km/h-140km/h the RDX is car lengths faster. The engine revs so much smoother to redline, and is definitely stronger in the top end. I like the Mazda, but the Acura is in a different class...

Plus, mechanically it has a much better rear differential, and probably send more torque to the rear axle under power. It’s more fun to drive in the snow, as it’s more oversteery.

The RDX is definitely faster. 40Km/h-140km/h the RDX is car lengths faster. The engine revs so much smoother to redline, and is definitely stronger in the top end. I like the Mazda, but the Acura is in a different class...
Not based on any of t he track tests anyone (MT/C&D, etc) has done. I've yet to race one though so I can't comment. Did you run them? I know I've killed a 2015 Camaro RS in mine, so it does okay for what it is IMO.

Ah, it makes sense. This is the RDX's dyno. Notice how the torque max is only around 250# and how the HP peaks at 220? Also notice how "peaky" it is. Likes to rev for sure.

1617490404486.png

This is a 2.5 SA T in a Mazda 6. The pink trace is stock.
1617491023290.png

CX5 has boatloads more torque early on, along with 40# more torque at peak, and more horsepower until nearly 4500rpm. At 3000rpm, the CX5 is making 25hp and nearly 40# more torque. At 4500rpm, the CX5 is making about 5hp less, and 10# less torque. At 5500 where it likes to shift, the CX5 is making around 175/175 or so. The RDX is making about around 45hp more, though, at 6K.

Regardless, all of the of the math says the CX5 is much stronger down low, but the RDX hits harder up to. That said, I've never noticed the CX5 flagging at high RPM vs even rev-happy stuff like modded civics. Would be a run race!

Last edited:
Plus, mechanically it has a much better rear differential, and probably send more torque to the rear axle under power. It’s more fun to drive in the snow, as it’s more oversteery.
The CX5 is controlled in snow or dry. All wheel slide on-throttle. Send it where and how you want. I prefer that. Very neutral feeling.

I went searching for videos of the RDX, and noticed al ot of them depicted it spinning the tires on take-off, even with AWD, and even with less tq than the CX5 by far. Seems its AWD isn't super amazing for some things. My CX5 is glued on takeoff even in the rain.

Last edited:
It’s been know that Mazda’s 2.5T would run out of the breath above 4,500 rpm by many reviews.

It’s been know that Mazda’s 2.5T would run out of the breath above 4,500 rpm by many reviews.
...and yet it doesn't. The Camaro RS I ran? Steady pull on the highway. The modded civic I ran (god knows what was in it, it was like a 2004 and was faster than the RS)? It wasn't "catching up" at the top of my rpm range, either. Same for any other vehicle I've run that I beat. The top of the rpm range wasn't where any of them paused my pull. The gearing and transmission of the CX5 are just fine when matched with this engine. It just feels more "linear" and doesn't give a progressive "pull" like the RDX likely does. It's more "There. Here you are. You're accelerating."

Last edited:
I really like my CX-5, but I am really eyeing the RDX up. I still think if I could find a great deal on an Aspec model, it would be VERY tempting to jump ship..

Last edited:
One thing that you might miss about your Japanese-built CX-5 compared to an American-designed and American-manufactured RDX is build quality and reliability.

One thing that you might miss about your Japanese-built CX-5 compared to an American-designed and American-manufactured RDX is build quality and reliability.
Upon what do you base that statement?

Upon what do you base that statement?

All of the issues the RDX has been plagued with, for one.

59 complaints...look at all the times "engine" and "suspension" was the subject...
19 complaints...

Oh, and for 2020, Acura sold 52,785 RDX's. Mazda sold 146,420 CX5's that year.

and as a 1-person anecdote, lol...

The CX-5 reminds me very much of the 2019 Acura RDX Advance I owned for a few months, but without the problems.

I really like my CX-5, but I am really eyeing the RDX up. I still think if I could find a great deal on an Aspec model, it would be VERY tempting to jump ship..
Why? It's slower in nearly every way, and the features match across the board, and the CX5 is more reliable per every review source. Just the looks?

The RDX has more comfortable seats, a pano roof and a way better audio system. I've been following the 3rd gen RDX forum since inception. It seems that those plusses are quickly cancelled out by all the issues they're experience. That, along with the price premium, make me feel better about our purchase every day.

Geeze guys, I wasn’t disagreeing with the poster, I was just curious as to the basis of a single opinion.

Exactly! Although my 1998 Honda CR-V is the most reliable vehicle I’ve ever owned, but when I needed a new vehicle in 2015, I chose my first Mazda because I also felt Honda has been going the wrong direction on both reliability and design.
My son's 1998 CR-V was horrible, first all five door locks sequentially stopped working at $250 each to replace, next the A/C compressor died at 70K miles and he had two more replaced after the original, finely traded the vehicle in at 134K miles before something else broke! Bought anything but another Honda... ended up with a VW Jetta Sport!

Last edited:
Back