Mazda CX-5 (and other models) Oil Consumption TSB (WTF)

Open a case with Mazda Corporate. Describe what's happening and request an oil consumption test.
Yes, @q1054521247q definitely need to contact Mazda North American Operations. But I wouldn’t request an “oil consumption test”, as that would fall into the “1 quart of oil consumption per 1,200 miles is normal” guideline by Mazda where he definitely doesn’t qualify as having oil consumption problem. He should just emphasize the Low Oil Level Warning Light came back like before and the TSB performed apparently failed.

Yes, @q1054521247q definitely need to contact Mazda North American Operations. But I wouldn’t request an “oil consumption test”, as that would fall into the “1 quart of oil consumption per 1,200 miles is normal” guideline by Mazda where he definitely doesn’t qualify as having oil consumption problem. He should just emphasize the Low Oil Level Warning Light came back like before and the TSB performed apparently failed.
My suggestion was based on thinking this a DIYer doing the oil change. If so, I don't believe Mazda will just accept the oil level light being on, without any evidence what the refill level was at the last oil change. I suspect they will want to at least confirm it's topped off to MAX, and then check at 1K (or some other) intervals.

But in reality, it doesn't matter what any of us think, because it's going to be totally up to Mazda how they will want to handle this situation.

My suggestion was based on thinking this a DIYer doing the oil change. If so, I don't believe Mazda will just accept the oil level light being on, without any evidence what the refill level was at the last oil change. I suspect they will want to at least confirm it's topped off to MAX, and then check at 1K (or some other) intervals.

But in reality, it doesn't matter what any of us think, because it's going to be totally up to Mazda how they will want to handle this situation.

From TSB 01-001/23 in post #64:

DESCRIPTION
Some vehicles may have a “LOW ENGINE OIL LEVEL” warning message and an engine oil level warning light on in the instrument cluster with DTC P250F:00 stored in memory, and the oil level has actually decreased to near low.
• DTC P250F:00 - Engine oil level signal: engine oil level low
This is caused by an oil consumption increase due to damage of the valve seals on the exhaust side. To eliminate this concern, the design of these valve seals has been modified.
Customers having this concern should have their vehicle repaired using the following repair procedure.”

So if a person has a 2021 CX-5 with 2.5T and it has the LOW ENGINE OIL LEVEL” warning message and an engine oil level warning light on in the instrument cluster with DTC P250F:00, he is qualified for the TSB fix if he has warranty. No need for a oil consumption test, because Mazda knows it’s the seal problem.

Now @q1054521247q had the TSB done at 41K miles now at 60K miles the oil consumption issue is back. He should emphasize the TSB fix which is failed. If he still have powertrain warranty, everything should be easy. But if not, this’s really under the mercy of MNAO like you said.

Now I do have lifetime powertrain warranty and I have already contacted Mazda corporate about this issues. They said that someone will call me back but hasn’t gotten a call yet.

Now I do have lifetime powertrain warranty and I have already contacted Mazda corporate about this issues. They said that someone will call me back but hasn’t gotten a call yet.
“Lifetime” powertrain warranty? That can’t be from Mazda but a third party one?

I'll never understand car manufacturers. This engine has been around for years, with no known valve stem seal issues....so why modify something that isn't broken?
There's that old saying, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
I think it may have been identified just not made common knowledge. At least it makes sense to me. I have heard it said that the later model cars, most all brands, have begun using low spring pressure piston rings. In the old days they were pretty heavy spring pressure against the cylinder walls. The manufacturers found this pressure caused a small amount of lost milage due to friction. Consequently they started using piston rings with fairly weak pressure against the cylinder walls to extract every drop of milage out of gas. The low pressure against the cylinder walls resulted in loss of effective sealing. This is especially noticed in engines with turbo chargers as the increase pressure of the turbos gets by these weaker rings. I will tell you one more thing and that is don't believe the long time between oil changes. I change my oil at between 3 and 5000 miles and my non turbo engine at 70000 miles does not use a drop. I know, I know there are those who will argue with me but argue away, i don’t use any oil.

To clarify, the oil was below the min mark when I checked it as soon as the low light came on. Oil showed halfway between the end of stick and min mark.

I did check the oil level at first oil change and it was in the middle between min and max dots/holes.

I dont believe I should be getting a light/this kind of consumption with only 1,500 miles driven. I filled 3/4 of a quart and to me that's a lot of consumption. Nevertheless, Im documenting everything with pictures and notes in case something catastrophic happens or it worsens.
Make certain you car is level when you check the oil and if you run the engine and check it too soon it will read lower than is valid as there will be oil up in the engine.

I think it may have been identified just not made common knowledge. At least it makes sense to me. I have heard it said that the later model cars, most all brands, have begun using low spring pressure piston rings. In the old days they were pretty heavy spring pressure against the cylinder walls. The manufacturers found this pressure caused a small amount of lost milage due to friction. Consequently they started using piston rings with fairly weak pressure against the cylinder walls to extract every drop of milage out of gas. The low pressure against the cylinder walls resulted in loss of effective sealing. This is especially noticed in engines with turbo chargers as the increase pressure of the turbos gets by these weaker rings. I will tell you one more thing and that is don't believe the long time between oil changes. I change my oil at between 3 and 5000 miles and my non turbo engine at 70000 miles does not use a drop. I know, I know there are those who will argue with me but argue away, i don’t use any oil.

I wrote my response in the wrong place regarding oil consumption and early oil changes. I am new forgive me.

One more screw up Antoine. Sorry for screwing up. Thanks for the welcome. I have a non turbo two wheel drive 2018 CX5

No worries...Seems it can't be remerged so I would repost it in the desired thread, thanks!

I recently went to the dealership for this issue and they recommended doing a oil consumption test. However I wasn't able to get to a dealership at 1K miles due to a road trip(still took pictures). I have 2021 CX-5 Turbo and Low Oil light came on multiple times and I only done 30K. What I have noticed was if I use normal Oil, burning issue still exists but much lower. If I use Mobile Full synthetic, I burn from Max to Low with in 5k Miles. This varies as well, If I do a road trip, it will definitely burn a lot but if I only do smaller trip around the town it's lot less.

Currently I'm at a lost.
1) I do not trust the dealership near me, and they are actively trying avoid fixing this issue. Even if they fix it, I feel like they going to make things worse by letting inexperienced mechanic messing around in my engine.
2) I did see a class action lawsuit against this issue. Should I jump on that bandwagon?
3) Should I just deal with it by using non-synthetic oil or thicker oil?
4) Sounds like fix is not that great and might fail again!

Either way, I'm losing trust in Mazda. I was the biggest fan, now this leaving a bad taste in my mouth.

I recently went to the dealership for this issue and they recommended doing a oil consumption test. However I wasn't able to get to a dealership at 1K miles due to a road trip(still took pictures). I have 2021 CX-5 Turbo and Low Oil light came on multiple times and I only done 30K. What I have noticed was if I use normal Oil, burning issue still exists but much lower. If I use Mobile Full synthetic, I burn from Max to Low with in 5k Miles. This varies as well, If I do a road trip, it will definitely burn a lot but if I only do smaller trip around the town it's lot less.

Currently I'm at a lost.
1) I do not trust the dealership near me, and they are actively trying avoid fixing this issue. Even if they fix it, I feel like they going to make things worse by letting inexperienced mechanic messing around in my engine.
2) I did see a class action lawsuit against this issue. Should I jump on that bandwagon?

Either way, I'm losing trust in Mazda. I was the biggest fan, now this leaving a bad taste in my mouth.
One key piece of information is how long you would want to keep this vehicle, assuming the oil consumption problem is resolved. Workarounds might be ok if your ownership would be relatively short term, but not necessarily the best choice if you would like to keep it for 10 or so more years.

I recently went to the dealership for this issue and they recommended doing a oil consumption test. However I wasn't able to get to a dealership at 1K miles due to a road trip(still took pictures). I have 2021 CX-5 Turbo and Low Oil light came on multiple times and I only done 30K.
Honestly I wouldn’t agree with the dealership doing an “oil consumption test” as it could make you falling into a trap of the industry standard as “using a quart of oil in 1,000 miles is normal”, although Mazda’s standard is 1,200 miles based on a Service Alert.

If your VIN is within the range of the oil consumption TSB for the 2.5T, the requirement for the fix with defective valve stem seal replacement is only the Low Oil Level Warning Light which is lit. Show the dealer the TSB with pictures of “Low Oil Level Warning Light” and ask for the seal replacement.

What I have noticed was if I use normal Oil, burning issue still exists but much lower. If I use Mobile Full synthetic, I burn from Max to Low with in 5k Miles. This varies as well, If I do a road trip, it will definitely burn a lot but if I only do smaller trip around the town it's lot less.
Yes my experience is similar from several of my past vehicles which were burning oil that different brands of oil with the same viscosity can make difference on oil consumption. And those vehicles will use more oil while driving on the highway than driving locally.

Currently I'm at a lost.
1) If you don’t have another Mazda dealer near by, you should still go to this dealer and get the valve stem seals replaced under warranty. If I remember it correctly, the TSB claimed only the Master Tech can perform the TSB fix. Those inexperienced and incompetent mechanics aren’t supposed to do the job on your 2.5T.

2) It depends on your personal preference whether or not if you want to join the class action lawsuit. I would.

3) Definitely not! Go get your defective valve stem seals replaced based on the oil consumption TSB while you still have warranty. The oil consumption problem will get worse due to the defective seals and it’s a very expensive fix if you don’t have warranty!

4) Mazda has pinpointed the root of the oil consumption problem for those 2021 2.5T’s which is a batch of inferior valve stem seals got installed onto a batch of the 2.5T engines. The 2.5T’s by Mazda has been in production since 2016 and they don’t have such oil consumption problem until 2021. If the correct valve stem seals are installed replacing the defective ones, the problem most likely should be fixed for good.

Can’t blame you on this. Most people who encountered such issue will feel the same like you.

Last edited:
…I have 2021 CX-5 Turbo and Low Oil light came on multiple times and I only done 30K. What I have noticed was if I use normal Oil, burning issue still exists but much lower. If I use Mobile Full synthetic, I burn from Max to Low with in 5k Miles….

Burning a quart in 5000 miles is hardly excessive oil consumption. Many vehicle manufacturers today consider one quart in 600 to 1200 miles as normal. This started over a decade ago when engine designers started using low tension piston rings to reduce friction and increase mpg. Plenty of owners have much higher oil consumption than you do.

WERD, My old B7 Audi 2.0T burned a quart every 4k miles. I drove the piss out of that cat till 140k troublefree!

Just to confirm, 2022 and newer mazda 2.5 turbo engines do not have the oil consumption burning issue?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back