Mazda CX-5 2012 - Bumping / grinding sound near front tyre

ausqld231

I'm not sure if this is a coincidence, but I recently got four new tyres on my Mazda CX5 2012. On the first day, there were no issues. However, on the second day, I noticed a slight knocking thumping sound coming from under or near the front right tire when I lightly accelerated, like the first 5% of the pedal. If I accelerate any more than that, I don't hear it. On the third day, the knocking sound has developed into a grinding-like sound when I take my foot off the accelerator. When the car is sitting idle in my garage, I am unable to replicate any of the sounds. They only occur while driving and sounds like its getting worse. I have attached a sound file where you can hear the bump and grinding sound. Unfortunately, I cannot get my car to the mechanic until next Thursday or should i take it back to the type shop? any ideas?

Sound file of the car

I'm not sure if this is a coincidence, but I recently got four new tyres on my Mazda CX5 2012. On the first day, there were no issues. However, on the second day, I noticed a slight knocking thumping sound coming from under or near the front right tire when I lightly accelerated, like the first 5% of the pedal. If I accelerate any more than that, I don't hear it. On the third day, the knocking sound has developed into a grinding-like sound when I take my foot off the accelerator. When the car is sitting idle in my garage, I am unable to replicate any of the sounds. They only occur while driving and sounds like its getting worse. I have attached a sound file where you can hear the bump and grinding sound. Unfortunately, I cannot get my car to the mechanic until next Thursday or should i take it back to the type shop? any ideas?

Sound file of the car
Couldn't open your video but some suggestions:

1.Brakes grind- are your brake pads worn? Maybe a stone/pebble stuck in-between pad and rotors? Stuck caliper not releasing when take your foot off the brake?
2.Cv joints knocks and click/grind. Are your cv boots leaking grease? Does it really click when turning?
If they fall off, you could be stranded or possibly in accidents.
Once had cv joint that failed with little warning...clicked for a few miles and then fell out. Get these changed pronto, especially if you see grease and torn rubber boots.
3.Rims- were wheel weights installed? Are the weights hitting the calipers?
4.Tires- defective , especially broke steel belts will sort of knock.
5.Lugnuts - did the shop overtighten? This could shove rotors in. Are the lugnuts loose? Wheel could be loose and potentially fall off.
6.Wheel bearings- whine, usually low pitch... Could grind- at higher speeds.

My guess is its the lugnuts/loose wheel, worn brake pads, frozen brake caliper or a failing cv joint.

Others may have other suggestions.

Last edited:
Since this is new since replacing tires and getting worse, first take it back to the tire shop and see if they can diagnose the issue.

Sorry, I didn't listen to your sound file. I don't click odd (to me) hyperlinks from people I don't know.

My first action would be to check the lugnuts. Loosen and retorque to spec if you can, then see if the sound is still there. If it is, take it back to the tire shop as @HyFlyer suggested.

Sound file of the car
A 2012 CX-5? Definitely it isn’t a US model as North America CX-5 started with MY 2013.

What is the size of new tires you just put on? If you use wider tires the front tires may rub the struts.

I sure would take the car back to the tire shop and have them check the noise first.

I agree lug nuts first thing to check.

My coworker just went through loose (and missing) lug nuts last week. He had new struts put on and after about a week a bad vibration developed. He thought it might be the struts, but I told him to check wheel lugs first. One front wheel was missing 3 of the 5 lug nuts and the remaining 2 were not even finger tight. Not sure actual cause, but dealer towed it back and made it right. Scary to think one wheel was held on by 2 loose lug nuts.

My first action would be to check the lugnuts. Loosen and retorque to spec if you can, then see if the sound is still there. If it is, take it back to the tire shop as @HyFlyer suggested.
Loose lug nuts would indeed be suspect and if they are loose and loose enough to cause thumping, knocking and grinding noises, I would anticipate damage to components because of it.

I hear scratching around like phone futzing. Otherwise I hear a very faint thump-thump in the background. Could be a tire not properly balanced. Like (almost) everybody else says, the most plausible cause has to do with the tire installation, so back to the tire shop you should go.

Sound file of the car
My suggestion is - do a thorough visual and put it up on ramps if you have em with a good light source - inspect rotors, lug nuts and tire size accuracy ( on door jam)- look for a good seal onto the rim - oustide and inside each tire - check the back tires as well to get a good look at each tire and the suspension - look for anything unusual or inconsistent to each tire.
- Regardless of the outcome of your visual - drive with caution and only of needed -
a trip back to the tire shop , and back up onto the lift for a proper re-inspection is a must
-Request they remove and replace the wheels just incase there was something lodged between the rim and the bearing face / lug nuts - stand by and have them do a full inspection while its up on the lift - Then go on a diagnostic test drive with the tech - When it comes to tires , brakes and rims - I personally consider these to be of paramount importance and no corners or cost spared to make it absolutley as safe and correct as humanly possible - in the mean time - use caution if you must drive .....check those lugs with a torque wrench - many shops that are non-dealer often just " wing it " and hope they get the torque on the lug nuts accurate - My 2022 has a lug nut torque range of 85-105 ft-lbs - I set them at 95 ft-lbs each lug - it may not be loose lugs - but keeping an eye on the tires is important - i also keep a pressure gauge in my console as well a good bike pump - I set the tire pressure 36psi when cold and always check b4 road trips or once every week - let me know what it was - curious

Latest posts

Back