Mazda Cargo Concerns - 103 cu. ft.

I half tried putting the bag on top, however it did not feel very secure from up there at all. Trust me, it is much more secure on the back tailgate where it was designed to be. Like I said, it didn't move much during my initial test drive once it was fully strapped down.

I did consider the hitch with a cargo carrier, but decided against that route in the end due primarily to finding the saddlebag. I also considered towing a small trailer, but the roads past Edmonton tend to get a bit bumpy, and it might be more trouble than it was worth.

The saddlebag has better or comparable cargo area (14 cu. ft.) to most hitch solutions, and I'll only be hauling luggage (2 suitcases and a couple of army duffel bags) plus any other "soft" detritus that needs to be stuffed in. It can also be easily detached and brought inside, something you can't do with a trailer.

I wonder though, if I did decide to tow a trailer, how much total cargo space I could get...(attn)

Last edited:
The neat thing about the saddle bag is that long after the trip is over, you'll still think about it -- each time you wash the car and see what a moving lumpy bag can do when there's dirt under it.

Have you considered this or this?

If I were to see your get-up on the road, I would surely move as far away from it as possible. It just does not look safe. Yes, it may have stayed in place on your short jaunt around the neighborhood, but you are talking about 1000's of miles on roads that you don't know the condition of. My guess is that you would do major harm to the paint job on the back of the 5 as well as a couple of traffic stops by eager Hypo's.

Just my 2 cents.

You are serious about this, right?

Would a small trailer not be more aerodynamic, have a lower center of gravity, carry more, be safer (to you and other drivers) and have a higher probability of success?

I realize you have a concern about voiding the warranty, but it looks like you're well on your way to exceeding the vehicle's rear axle weight, and likely gross vehicle weight rating -- which should be far more of a concern than a warranty.

A $100 trailer hitch, a $300 Harbor Freight Trailer, and $100 dollars at Home Depot would net a reasonably large enclosed volume, with only 50 lbs. of tongue weight.

If that's too much, maybe U-Haul will cut a weekly deal on one of these: http://www.uhaul.com/trailers/sport-trailer.jpg

A trailer will add ~300 lbs. of weight that needs to be accelerated and decelerated -- in addition to the cargo, yet all but ~50 lbs. is on the trailer's axle. If you can safely drive what you've shown, a trailer will be no problem.

Good luck.

+1 on the hitch and trailer.
Much more safe for you and for other drivers behind you if something where to happen.

This doesn't help much, unless you're moving a second set of tires, nor is it going to help the weight distribution, but I saw this on a Miata a while ago -- and thought it was interesting.

It's probably pushing the weight limit of the hitch, but where else would you carry racing tires when commuting to events?

Attachments

• tires.jpg
    tires.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 134

Latest posts

Back