Mazda Appoints New CEO, Prioritises USA - Wonder If Any Immediate Impact On CX-5

Yup Doug DeMuro and The Straight Pipes I put in entertainment category. Definitely need some serious ones like what you mentioned before actual purchase.

Savage Geese is good too but he can sometimes start to be a little like John Cadogan (if I’m spelling that right) but not as bad.

Spell his name wrong - who cares (lol2)

Ironic because the Civic Type R also has a torsion beam setup...

Interesting, I didn't even know that, so I looked it up. Turns out the Civic Type R has a torsion beam setup, although it is a modern design I guess. It is so stiff that they didn't even put a rear sway bar on it, which saves some weight. The Civic Type R comes with adaptive dampers though, so that helps with the ride comfort. Anyway, maybe Mazda is taking inspiration from the Civic Type R with their new Mazda 3. I know for sure that Mazda will not sell a Mazda 3 that cannot handle corners, so we'll have to wait and see.

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/6-fascinating-technical-facts-about-the-new-honda-civic-type-r/

That new Mazda 3 can handle the corners all it wants to,it doesnt have the power to get outta them,and thats a huge difference that turns it into a dud,instantly. I guess you could turn it down a notch and insert the Civic Si,but unfortunately,youll get the same result...

Can't stand straight pipes but I have watched others (TFL (uhm), Edmunds etc) along with ones here (caradvice.com.au, motoring.com.au etc) for the Mazda CX-5 and Mazda 6

What, those two are hilarious!

But you have to realize they are not like an Edmunds review.

Yeah, IMO you can still glean usable info from Straight Pipes (and be mildly entertained) as long as you keep in context where they're coming from.

One of my favourite Youtube reviewers though is the guy from Autogefhl. He can be a bit long winded and being European based, frequently drives vehicles that are vastly different (features, engines etc) from what's available over here (even when the actual car is) but he does a great job IMO.

Yeah, IMO you can still glean usable info from Straight Pipes (and be mildly entertained) as long as you keep in context where they're coming from.

One of my favourite Youtube reviewers though is the guy from Autogefhl. He can be a bit long winded and being European based, frequently drives vehicles that are vastly different (features, engines etc) from what's available over here (even when the actual car is) but he does a great job IMO.

+1 Autogefhl

(2thumbs)

That new Mazda 3 can handle the corners all it wants to,it doesnt have the power to get outta them,and thats a huge difference that turns it into a dud,instantly. I guess you could turn it down a notch and insert the Civic Si,but unfortunately,youll get the same result...

How can you even make a statement like that seeing how Mazda hasn't released any final numbers yet on the 2.0 Skyactiv X, so no one except Mazda knows what the final horsepower and torque numbers will be...but the current 3 with the 2.5 skyactiv G is plenty fast enough to get the 3 out of curves quickly, it is makes almost 200 horsepower and torque while pushing a vehicle that barely weighs 3000 lbs in top trims. It's faster than the stock Mazda 6 with same engine, and way faster than the cx-5...the new 3 is going to be lighter, and Mazda says the new 2.0 x engine will basically match the output of the old 2.5 G engine, so there is no way the new 3 will be a dud through the corners unless you don't know how to drive it properly in the twisty's.

How can you even make a statement like that seeing how Mazda hasn't released any final numbers yet on the 2.0 Skyactiv X, so no one except Mazda knows what the final horsepower and torque numbers will be...but the current 3 with the 2.5 skyactiv G is plenty fast enough to get the 3 out of curves quickly, it is makes almost 200 horsepower and torque while pushing a vehicle that barely weighs 3000 lbs in top trims. It's faster than the stock Mazda 6 with same engine, and way faster than the cx-5...the new 3 is going to be lighter, and Mazda says the new 2.0 x engine will basically match the output of the old 2.5 G engine, so there is no way the new 3 will be a dud through the corners unless you don't know how to drive it properly in the twisty's.

Not positive but I think he was referencing in comparison to the Civic Type R's, Golf R's, Veloster N's etc.

Pretty sure he's lamenting the lack of a true, high powered, 'hot hatch' model from the 'Zoom, Zoom' company and not the perfectly capable base motors (now and future).

I have to imagine an eventual 2.5 'X' motor in the 3 will satisfy that desire, but it will probably be a couple years before we see it.

Yep,you got me,I have no clue how to drive it properly!
The X engine,lol. What an improvement!

The lateral acceleration isnt bad,but for forward acceleration,the car is a turd. Like everything else Mazda,it lacks 50hp minimum,just like the X will...

Side note: Ive tuned the setup and tires for a 3 to win an SCCA and Autocross event before. Its actually easy (see tires)...

Yep,you got me,I have no clue how to drive it properly!
The X engine,lol. What an improvement!

The lateral acceleration isnt bad,but for forward acceleration,the car is a turd. Like everything else Mazda,it lacks 50hp minimum,just like the X will...

Side note: Ive tuned the setup and tires for a 3 to win an SCCA and Autocross event before. Its actually kinda easy (see tires),for me anyways...

Wonder how torsion beam will perform ride and comfort wise on our substandard roads here.

(hmm)

See that’s the weird part. Mazda is saying they’re doing it to improve nvh but I thought that was one of the main advantages of an independent setup. Or a disadvantage to twist beam.

Some advantages of twist beam are weight and packaging.

For performance sometimes I think with the huge sway bars people use they might as well just be twist beam [emoji23]

If torsion beam is good for "performance handling", yes Mazda wants zoom zoom but the every day person does want this at the expense of every day ride comfort (uhm)

I had an ST and now have a GTI. While performance wise ST is competitive the
GTI is just a much nicer car to live with. They really do strike a great balance where it doesnt feel like performance or comfort is being compromised much. With the RS and R its an even bigger difference. And this is why I never really seriously considered the RS.

I cross-shopped the Focus ST and GTI (and the Mazda3) and went for the ST. The ST drives like a hot hatch, while the GTI drives like a small touring car. The GTI would have been nicer on my commute and highway trips for sure. The wind and tire noise on the highway did get a little tiresome after a while with the ST. But the ST was A LOT more fun. I also had two prior Fords that were just bulletproof, and my wife had a VW that was a horrible money pit, so expected reliability was a factor too.

I cross-shopped the Focus ST and GTI (and the Mazda3) and went for the ST. The ST drives like a hot hatch, while the GTI drives like a small touring car. The GTI would have been nicer on my commute and highway trips for sure. The wind and tire noise on the highway did get a little tiresome after a while with the ST. But the ST was A LOT more fun. I also had two prior Fords that were just bulletproof, and my wife had a VW that was a horrible money pit, so expected reliability was a factor too.

DSG/Powershift trasmission quirks are not good.

Good thing Mazda should be staying with conventional auto

DSG/Powershift trasmission quirks are not good.

Good thing Mazda should be staying with conventional auto

The DSG actually shifts smoother and faster though.....

And I think the problems are mainly with the dry version. We did also have a Fiesta previous to the CX-5 and never had issues with its powershift.

The DSG actually shifts smoother and faster though.....

And I think the problems are mainly with the dry version. We did also have a Fiesta previous to the CX-5 and never had issues with its powershift.

Not at low speeds. Very slow to react and jerky.

Lots of issues here with powershift in Mondeos (your Fusion) and Focus

Not at low speeds. Very slow to react and jerky.

Lots of issues here with powershift in Mondeos (your Fusion) and Focus

Again, I think that comes down to wet vs dry and probably also driver. I’m used to years of manual so I tend to not jam the gas in a low gear when trying to be smooth. No slip though if clutch is engaged so you can make it jerk. I can do that in the Mazda to as it locks as well.

Again, I think that comes down to wet vs dry and probably also driver. I’m used to years of manual so I tend to not jam the gas in a low gear when trying to be smooth. No slip though if clutch is engaged so you can make it jerk. I can do that in the Mazda to as it locks as well.

Yes it does relate to that but it's also the design and execution of the transmission.

Ford just got fined here because of it - blamed customers driving style when it was their fault:

Court orders Ford to pay $10 million penalty for unconscionable conduct

All I have to say is thank goodness Mazda is staying with it's well sorted out SkyActiv 6 speed conventional transmission.

Back