Clicking/Clunking Transmission - 2021 CX-5 Signature

we have a 2019 cx-5 signature diesel (retails for a hefty $44k) that we love. the styling, fit finish, quality of materials and handling are all as you would expect for a car costing this much. however, within a month of picking it up, the transmission has had a clunk at least monthly when we slow (but don't completely stop) and then accelerate, i.e., rolling through a yield or stop sign or a cycling light. if i had to guess, it's like the transmission isn't downshifting as it should before a stop and then has to downshift several gears and it 'clunks' into gear. the actual physical feedback and sound it feels like a small hammer up to a sledgehammer in intensity. it's never an issue of an imperfection in the road. it happens both when the car and transmission is warm or cold. we have asked that it be checked EVERY time we take it in for service and, of course, they return it with a NTF (no trouble found) on the repair order. our warranty is up this summer and i want this transmission issue fixed before we're stuck with a $5k transmission rebuilt/replacement after the warranty expires. it has only 20,200 (or so) miles so there is definitely something wrong.

i should note that the car has not been without its issues. a recurring high oil level warning light (an issue with only the diesel engines as i understand it) and an issue with the emissions components.

i just called mazda corporate to get my concerns documented at the manufacturer level in the hopes that they will take the concern more seriously.

The OP found 2 bad engine mounts as the root of his problem.

our warranty is up this summer and i want this transmission issue fixed before we're stuck with a $5k transmission rebuilt/replacement after the warranty expires. it has only 20,200 (or so) miles so there is definitely something wrong.
Isn't the powertrain warranty 5 yr / 60k miles?
When you say that you've "asked that it br checked" everytime it's been in for service, is that officially on the service order ? I assume yes since you say it's listed as NTF on the repair order. So that makes for a strong case the problem existed during the warranty period should something happen later.

i should note that the car has not been without its issues. a recurring high oil level warning light (an issue with only the diesel engines as i understand it) and an issue with the emissions components
There is a recall for the oil level warning. The other possibility is that you are actually having rising oil levels due to oil dilution. What is your typical driving like? Short local trips or more longer distance / highway stuff where it gets up to temperature? I notice the low miles so thinking shorter.

What issue(s) did you have with the emissions components?

The OP found 2 bad engine mounts as the root of his problem.

Isn't the powertrain warranty 5 yr / 60k miles?
When you say that you've "asked that it br checked" everytime it's been in for service, is that officially on the service order ? I assume yes since you say it's listed as NTF on the repair order. So that makes for a strong case the problem existed during the warranty period should something happen later.

There is a recall for the oil level warning. The other possibility is that you are actually having rising oil levels due to oil dilution. What is your typical driving like? Short local trips or more longer distance / highway stuff where it gets up to temperature? I notice the low miles so thinking shorter.

What issue(s) did you have with the emissions components?
Thanks for your response, @HyFlyer.

The funny thing is I don't know what our warranty is and just assumed it was 3/36 or whatever they used to be. I have always added the transmission issue to the reasons for bringing it in for service for precisely that reason: to ensure my concerns were well documented.

We had the oil level recall completed after we had that issue come up three times. We don't drive it a lot (very few miles during the lockdown) but we also don't do trips of less than a mile where the car does not get up to operating temperature.

We had no issues with the emissions components but I think on the diesel engines, it was an issue with the urea components. I could be completely wrong...and regularly am!

I am experiencing the same exact problem. Took it to Mazda 3 times, and replied could not reproduce. 4th time took a mechanic with with, he heard it, but then convinced me that it’s normal, to hear a downshift at slow speeds. From this forum I learned that I could have said, it wasn’t there until the first 7000 KM. That’s when it actually started!

Thanks for the nudge. I booked an appointment with them, and specifically asked them to check the engine mounts.

I am really hoping this would resolve the annoyance.

Back