Manuel transmission took a turn :(

MP3Night

Boost feels so good
:
Mazda Protege MP3
Hey guys so my trans got stuck in reverse yesterday. I tried to pull it out of reverse and now the stick moves around into diff gears but its still stuck in reverse. :-/ I don't know what to do? Any ideas? You think the transmission is gone? Also is there other trans that mate up to our cars? so I might have a option with other trans if I'm not able to find a original protege trans in my area
that I can pick up.

626 used the same trans, sounds like you broke the shift fork. You can pull the trans apart and replace the fork but make sure somebody with experience helps as it can be confusing sometimes

Oh and my fifth gear is going out on the trans, would it better suit if I just picked up another low mile trans? Then of course doing a rebuild on this one if what is true the shifting fork is busted.

@tweety2300 I agree, Thanks man. I'm picking up a used one with low miles for 550 but probably going to try and talk them down...fingers crossed

Sooo any help on this would be very nice. I'm pulling the transmission and I'm sure I would figure it out but it would be nice to have someone tell how to do it so it goes smooth. Removing the driver side axel....what needs to be performed to take it out from the trans? Without having to pry the lower arm out of the knuckle or is that the only way to do it. Since I haven't made it to that part, how would I go about putting that knuckle back into place when I'm putting the trans back in?

Yes only way is to pop the lower ball joint, it goes back together easier than it comes apart

Back