MAJOR Mechanical Repairs - Dealer or other shop?

Katner

:
2008 Mazda5 Grand Touring
K so the insurance company has decided they are going to fix my car. Which means aside from body work, replacement wheels and tires, and computerized frame correction there is some MAJOR mechanical to be done.

Is there any real reason why I should have the work done at my dealer rather than a local shop?

My guess is that Mazda service techs are more accustomed to doing oil-changes, inspections and other mandatory service stuff rather than major repairs. I asked a service receptionist this very question today and she was like "well, we CAN do that stuff."

I have an acquaintance that has an excellent auto-shop who I've trusted for a few years now and he does solid quality work.

Most of the dealers in Calgary farm out body work to independent body shops. NH Mazda uses a body shop off Edmonton Trail...They repaired my rear bumper but I'm not sure if they can do major structural repairs. best to check around.

No no boys. I know that almost all dealers out-source their body work. I'm talking mechanical stuff like re-mounting the motor, replacing the radiator, replacing all the housings for things like battery, etc, completely replacing the front suspension, possibly fixing axles etc. etc.

I've already chosen Maranello to do my body work, but they have to source the mechanical to either a shop close by (Monza Auto which I love), or to Sunridge Mazda, which I think is the best Mazda dealer in the city.

So I'm wondering which one. Mazda or Monza?

Here is the way I see it:

Mazda:
Pros - they know what the finished product should look like, they will be able to look at the undercarriage and know if something isn't right, or if something is missing, quick access to parts, no delay on common parts.
Cons - younger techs that may be more accustomed to doing service regiments and trivial problems rather than big meticulous jobs. They

Monza:
Pros - highly experienced techs, frequently do very technical work, probably more concerned about quality than Mazda.
Cons - don't frequently work on Mazda5's, aren't aware of the common problems, and nuances of the car, possibly introduces warranty stipulations to have them do the work.

I dropped into Sunridge Mazda today and the girl there said that not having them do the job won't void the warranty of the car, but it will mean that if any warranty issues can be tied to the work done by the other shop, those issues won't be covered.

I think you have the pros and cons about right (I don't know your shops, so I'm assuming your evaluations of the two are fair).

In that light, which will you choose?

I think you have the pros and cons about right (I don't know your shops, so I'm assuming your evaluations of the two are fair).

In that light, which will you choose?

I ended up choosing Monza. I went into Vince's shop (Monza Auto) and he was like "Hey! How are you? Still driving the Mitsubishi?" Right away I knew I was going with him.

I told him of my dilemma and he was like "I know what you expect for quality of work, trust me, you don't want the Mazda techs doing it. I'll do it and make it perfect."

Plus, the only warranty problems that arise from my choice are issues that are directly related to the improper repair of the car. Of course this will be almost impossible to prove, if there ever were a debate. I'm satisfied with how things are turning out.

Back