Maintenance is getting tiring…

I think we should have a "how old are you" thread....
A lot more "well experienced" people on here than I thought. I'm 63 myself. Retirement isn't even on the radar.

A lot more "well experienced" people on here than I thought. I'm 63 myself. Retirement isn't even on the radar.
Yeah I'm glad this isn't like the Reddit forum for CX-5's where many of the members are just getting their first car and their biggest concerns are where to mount their phones, blacking out the chrome trim and cupholder placement.
I'm 64 myself and recently finished a clutch replacement on my '06 SAAB 9-3 before selling it to a college-bound kid with an affection for SAAB's. Everything takes a little longer now, but I still get the job done. Retirement; what's that?

Got an oil change the other day. Bought the OEM filter and washer, along with wiper blades and air filters on eBay from a Mazda Dealer in order to get the free shipping. This is my wife's car and still under warranty but I hate going the dealer any longer, since they basically told me to pound sand after my rear brakes and rotors were shot after around 25,000 miles. I saw a recall advisory matching my vin but they said my symptoms didn't match. Who would have thought that they can't tell by LOOKING at the damn brakes and rotors that corrosion ruined them.

So... went to the local mechanic, gave them the oil and filter and of course when I get home I see they managed to break 1 of the plastic clips holding on the oil shield cover. Its things like this that drive me mad. I with me bringing my supplies to you did you think I would not catch this. IF you were upfront its no worries. I know these things break easily but still be upfront.

I'll gladly pay a mechanic for a brakes and stuff, but tune ups on a 4 cylinder, oil changes and filters- I do myself. For my other 2 cars I just roll up half my car on a tall curb and change the oil, since there is no splash shield in the way like the CX5. Im too scared to get under ramps or jacks anymore.

Sounds like you crawled under the car to check the work done? That's half the battler right there, you should have done the work yourself.

You know the old saying...

65 here and I retired, comfortably, in 2014. I loved what I did for a living, but I love not having a job even more.

Back