Maintenance Intervals too long?

:
2011 Mazda 2 Sport Auto
Not sure if this is a Mazda thing, but it seems like the scheduled maintenance for the Mazda 2 has very, very long intervals. For example, the scheduled maintenance states:
- replace air filter at 37.5k miles
- replace spark plugs every 75k miles

I also own Hondas and Toyotas and the intervals are much shorter. Just wondering if everyone here follows the schedule set by Mazda....

For a lot of service items, I only take the manufacturer's recommendations as exactly that -- nothing more than recommendations and references. I typically replace my air filters every 30k km or so, and by the time I replace it, the old one already looks pretty filthy. Spark plugs are no different -- if the tip already looks beat up, it'd be stupid for me to not replace it.

Really, I'd say it all depends on usage. If you drive the car hard and rev its little guts out all the time, I'd easily increase the service and maintenance frequency.

That interval seems to be too long for the air filter -- I've been swapping them out every 15k because that's when they start to look pretty dirty.

As for spark plugs, 75k is actually about right...the car ships with NGK Iridium plugs which are very high quality and have a long service life.

I'd trust the engineers at Mazda who determined the service life of wear items. Sure, change the air filter if it's dirty, but that's a 30-second job.

I purchased this car because I was tired of doing my own wrenching (old, generally reliable car, but small parts constantly failing), so I'm not tearing into jobs like checking the plugs, especially if I don't need to.

Last edited:
My 2 is in the shop today for service. 5K miles.

I do my own thing. I didn't want to wait until 7,500 for the first service.

Mike

^^^^
Mine is still relatively clean (5K mileage).

Check it. If the filter is dirty, replace it.

Mike

yeah, i usually use the suggested intervals as a guideline, but i have never seen intervals this long.... my car never sees the dealership after leaving the lot haha.. i DIY most stuff except the major ones (timing belt, etc)... my car has 30k so far... 5k every oil change, drained and filled tranny fluid along with air filter at 25k... will be doing my brakes soon too... my thermoquiet pads just arrived... just gotta take the rotors out and have those resurfaced

I dunno why someone would buy a brand new car, and not get a dealer service plan, but that's just me. It costs me $1.50/month and I have scheduled maintenance visits every 5k miles for the first 36k.

I dunno why someone would buy a brand new car, and not get a dealer service plan, but that's just me. It costs me $1.50/month and I have scheduled maintenance visits every 5k miles for the first 36k.
If the local dealerships offer something that good, I'd be jumping all over it too. As a matter of fact, this is the first time ever I have seen a dealer service plan this good, and I am certain it is a loss leader for the dealership.

My sister-in-law purchased a lifetime oil change service from the dealership when they bought their car (small SUV), and the dealership charged them something like $150. They still got their money's worth, but it isn't anywhere close to the bargain that you are getting.

If the local dealerships offer something that good, I'd be jumping all over it too. As a matter of fact, this is the first time ever I have seen a dealer service plan this good, and I am certain it is a loss leader for the dealership.

My sister-in-law purchased a lifetime oil change service from the dealership when they bought their car (small SUV), and the dealership charged them something like $150. They still got their money's worth, but it isn't anywhere close to the bargain that you are getting.

I worked them down. Said no to every extra on the list until the finance guy finally offered me that. Being that it was rolled into the financing, and so inexpensive for what I got, I wasn't going to turn it down.

$54 for a 36-month maintenance plan. Either you got lucky or you are lying. When I bought my 2, that was never offered. Only thing offered was an extended warranty which i bought. When I was looking for a crossover (particularly the CX-5), this was again never offered by the few dealerships I went to. The only reason why a dealership would sell these packages at cost is to bring you back to the dealer where they can upsell other maintenance services on you. With Mazda's long service interval, that will never happen. Again, u got very lucky or I call BS.

Because I trust myself more than the dealerships for most things on my car. If you want something done right, do it yourself.

$54 for a 36-month maintenance plan. Either you got lucky or you are lying. When I bought my 2, that was never offered. Only thing offered was an extended warranty which i bought. When I was looking for a crossover (particularly the CX-5), this was again never offered by the few dealerships I went to. The only reason why a dealership would sell these packages at cost is to bring you back to the dealer where they can upsell other maintenance services on you. With Mazda's long service interval, that will never happen. Again, u got very lucky or I call BS.

All I know is that buying a service plan only increased my monthly payment by $1.50. I didn't even look at the invoice for it. What do I stand to gain by lying about it?

Back