2016 CX-5 Scheduled Maintenance Question

Question is regarding a 2016 CX 5 GT AWD 2.5L

I am in Canada, so follow Schedule 2. In the manual, the maintenance intervals are every 4 months or 8,000km (5,000 miles). I have followed this schedule while under warranty and getting it serviced at the dealer the entire time. So, within a year that is 3 oil changes or 24,000km (15,000 miles)

My question is that the 2017 CX 5 2.5L AWD appears to be the same engine. (Slight HP difference?) The Schedule 2 maintenance intervals were changed to every 6 months or 8,000km (5,000 miles). So, within a year that is 2 oil changes or 16,000km (!0,000 miles).

Since I am now out of warranty (and I want to move maintenance from the dealer to a local place), would following the 2017 Schedule 2 for Canada make sense? While under warranty I followed what the manual (and dealer), but with that over, if I am within the km range, would 2 oil changes a year (which aligns nicely with winter/summer tires) be appropriate going forward?

Maybe I am over thinking this but I doesn't hurt to ask.

Thanks.

I change the oil on mileage only, unless I did not hit the distance in a year and then annually, if I notice. I also run a popular synthetic with a 15k mile recommended change interval, but change it at 10k miles. I would probably run a synthetic blend to 10k miles and one year, but be careful to do not go over that.

The Flexible Oil Change interval allows 10k miles in the Sauna South, perhaps it will in the land of Frosty Moosehead.

My Dad was doing 10k oil changes in the '60s on his company car that he ran 25k-ish miles a year. Even back then the cars all cleared 100k miles without issues.

I go by time mostly. I have more than one vehicle and in some cases I don't drive anywhere near the required OCI milage. So, it's once a year for those vehicles. I use synthetic in all my vehicles.

Since you're out of the warranty period, you could do whatever you're most comfortable with. Personally, I would probably spend the $30 or so to have a used oil analysis done. I've used a couple of labs here in Canada, Bureau Veritas in Edmonton and AGAT Labs in Calgary. Based on the lab results, you can decide if you want to extend (or shorten) your oil change interval.

Back