Lube those caliper bolts!

:
2017 CX5 AWD Touring
Rotated the tires on my 2016 CX5 and removed the caliper pin bolts on all 4 corners. They had very little to no lube on them. Looks like the factory skimped on the lube.

I removed the bolts and used synthetic brake lube on them. It's pretty simple and took my about 5 minutes per caliper. It's cheap and easy maintenance and will prolong brake life and provide smoother and even braking.

Torqued the front bolts to 25 ft.lbs and the rears to 20 ft.lbs

05359.jpg

Last edited:
I need to look into this, my wife has been complaining about hearing a popping noise when going into reverse after parking. I checked this past weekend and it definitely sounds like the calipers are sticking, doesn't affect braking during driving. I have to get in there when I get a chance and check it out/replace if needed.

Take it a step further and pull out your pads. If there stuck you need to pop the clips and clean underneath them...and possibly file down the pads themselves...rust builds up underneath the clips and freezes the pads...

Rotated the tires on my 2016 CX5 and removed the caliper pin bolts on all 4 corners. They had very little to no lube on them. Looks like the factory skimped on the lube.

I removed the bolts and used synthetic brake lube on them. It's pretty simple and took my about 5 minutes per caliper. It's cheap and easy maintenance and will prolong brake life and provide smoother and even braking.

Torqued the front bolts to 25 ft.lbs and the rears to 20 ft.lbs

05359.jpg

This may be why my Mazda dealer does a brake service on all CX-5's on the first service. I must ask them about this when I am next in.

Just failed state inspection do to uneven wear on my front rotors with 45K miles. They look like they were not making contact on the inner side for a long while now (like last 2 years). I've been having my oil changed by the dealer who is suppose to be performing multi-point checks and they failed to identify the issue. I also had the rear rotors / pads replaced by mazda/dealer under a TSB do to sticking calipers (lack of lube).

Both of these could have been prevented before premature replacements which simply $2 worth of lube............................................................

I am going to do the front rotors / pads myself. ($90 in parts for 2 rotors and all the pads). its quite annoying that we are not made aware of this safety issue....

Do the rear pads have squealers to let you know when the pads get too thin? Ed

yes, they do.

Just finished changing the rotors/pads. Wanted to comment that I noticed a lot of rust spotting on just about every metal.... not feeling so confident with the vehicle long term..

I just lubed mine today! I also used the Silaramic grease as well as Sil Glyde's ceramic brake grease. Ya know what I find interesting is that the CRC ceramic brake grease is white, while the Sil Glyde version is fluorescent blue.

All the pins had a light coating of grease on them, but one of them only had enough lube to cover half of the pin.

8FDRK1w.jpg

Not sure if this was just adequate and intentional from Mazda, but it does seem to have lube where it makes contact.

Last edited:
Back