Lube those caliper bolt pins!

I can't find my little tube of brake lube, I believe it was the Permatex Ultra Brake lube, the green stuff. Anyhow, I was searching around and many people on the internet have suggested to use silicone brake lube so as not the effect the rubber seals at all. I browsed Amazon and came across some Mazda Pure silicone Brake caliper lube, part #0000-77-XG3A. A little pricey but at least I know it's what mazda recommends to use so it should take all guess work out of the debate.
It says "Genuine Mazda Fluid (0000-77-XG3A) Silicone Brake Caliper Grease - 3 oz. Tube", but the picture shows Motorcraft by Ford with the same XG3A part number (sorry for the huge pic):
819vaUYKgVL._SL1500_.jpg

if your prefer silicon grease for caliper pins like Mazda Service Manual specified, here is an alternative - Sil-Glyde Silicone Lubricating Compound recommended by Skorpio:
I only recommend synthetic lube specifically made for high temperature brake usage. I have used Sil-Glyde for many years without fail. If you go to an auto store, they should have it, or similar on their counter.
41QT4n1qWhL.jpg

Sli-Glyde isn't 100% silicone and I some reports online of people having trouble with some types of rubber seals when using the sli-Glyde. I also noticed the pic is incorrect, we'll see what the actual product is that shows up at my door, it could just be an error in the listing, or the motorcraft ford line is the same as the Mazda lube in a different tube

... I also noticed the pic is incorrect, we'll see what the actual product is that shows up at my door, it could just be an error in the listing, or the motorcraft ford line is the same as the Mazda lube in a different tube
Please let us know what the actual product you received looks like.

the words "lube the pins" might not be accurate, you really want to encapsulate the pin with a material that absolutely will not absorb moisture. I might not be as smart as "some" people on this site, but been a mechanic for a long, long time. Use the silicon. if you can find it with moly mixed in, mo better. But again as long as they aint froz and lubed with something, the pads will be happy.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Hi Everyone,

My name is Scott. I am the Automotive Technical Representative from CRC Industries. I wanted to thank you all for your use and support of CRC products. Should you have any questions about products or applications. I am happy to answer them!

Hi Everyone,

My name is Scott. I am the Automotive Technical Representative from CRC Industries. I wanted to thank you all for your use and support of CRC products. Should you have any questions about products or applications. I am happy to answer them!
Hello Scott,

1) In regards to CRC Brake caliper grease, I assume it is safe for use with rubber materials?

2) Can you explain the difference between your brake caliper grease vs other competitors like Sil Glyde.

3) Between the regular brake grease and the Silaramic line, what would you suggest for our application (I've read online that the ceramic dries out faster)?

Please let us know what the actual product you received looks like.

I received the product in a Mazda Parts box with the 0000-77-XG3A part number. The actual tube is like the picture above, Motorcraft silicone brake caliper grease and dielectic compound. The only thing that I can think is that it's the same product just in ford's branded packaging or that it's left over from the ford-mazda partnership of years past. I equate it to AGS Sli-Glyde and NAPA sli-glyde being the same thing just different packaging. The ford forums have had reports of some of their rubber seals being effected by different lubes out there so I believe this is safe.

I received the product in a Mazda Parts box with the 0000-77-XG3A part number. The actual tube is like the picture above, Motorcraft silicone brake caliper grease and dielectic compound. The only thing that I can think is that it's the same product just in ford's branded packaging or that it's left over from the ford-mazda partnership of years past. I equate it to AGS Sli-Glyde and NAPA sli-glyde being the same thing just different packaging. The ford forums have had reports of some of their rubber seals being effected by different lubes out there so I believe this is safe.
Thanks for the info. I believe it's the Ford/Mazda joint-venture left-over product as you said. It should be an excellent silicon grease for caliper pins.

Thanks for the info. I believe it's the Ford/Mazda joint-venture left-over product as you said. It should be an excellent silicon grease for caliper pins.

Most likely made in a giant vat somewhere and then sent down the line to half a dozen different packages or what not!

Hello Scott,

1) In regards to CRC Brake caliper grease, I assume it is safe for use with rubber materials?

2) Can you explain the difference between your brake caliper grease vs other competitors like Sil Glyde.

3) Between the regular brake grease and the Silaramic line, what would you suggest for our application (I've read online that the ceramic dries out faster)?

The Brake Caliper grease is rubber and plastic safe. This product is synthetic. With this being said. Certain vehicles like Honda requires the use of a silicone based product like our Silaramic. Otherwise the rubber boots around the pins can swell up. http://crcindustries.com/ei/product_detail.aspx?id=05353

The Sil Glyde would compare to our Silaramic product. Our Silaramic will operate in high temperature ranges. -50F to 3000F. http://crcindustries.com/ei/product_detail.aspx?id=05363

For most driving applications the Brake Caliper Grease should be more then sufficient.

This is Christian from AGS Company, manufacturer of Sil-Glyde and Cerami-Glyde brake lubricants. Happy to answer any questions on our products.

The Brake Caliper grease is rubber and plastic safe. This product is synthetic. With this being said. Certain vehicles like Honda requires the use of a silicone based product like our Silaramic. Otherwise the rubber boots around the pins can swell up. http://crcindustries.com/ei/product_detail.aspx?id=05353

The Sil Glyde would compare to our Silaramic product. Our Silaramic will operate in high temperature ranges. -50F to 3000F. http://crcindustries.com/ei/product_detail.aspx?id=05363

For most driving applications the Brake Caliper Grease should be more then sufficient.
Thanks for info, Scott.

Honda Service Manual says use "silicon grease" (rubber grease) for the pins and "moly grease" (anti-rattle brake grease), which is included with OEM brake pads, on back of brake pads, shims, and the guide. Mazda Service Manual says use "rubber grease" on these pins and "anti-rattle brake grease" on back of brake pads, shims, and the guide. Both service manuals specify different greases for caliper pins.

I guess I'll get CRC Silaramic, Sil-Glyde or Mazda/Motorcraft silicone brake caliper grease for these pins.

This is Christian from AGS Company, manufacturer of Sil-Glyde and Cerami-Glyde brake lubricants. Happy to answer any questions on our products.
Hi, Christian,

Can you comment on this?

Thanks!

Sli-Glyde isn't 100% silicone and I some reports online of people having trouble with some types of rubber seals when using the sli-Glyde.

The Synthetic Brake Caliper grease is rubber and plastic safe. Honda requires the use of a silicone based product Otherwise the rubber boots around the pins can swell up

This seems very contradicting if you ask me.

Sli-Glyde isn't 100% silicone and I some reports online of people having trouble with some types of rubber seals when using the sli-Glyde.

I'm no expert, I just read some conflicting reports on different forums when doing a general search for caliper pin grease. I thought I looked at the MSD for sli-glyde and it said proprietary blend "trade secret" so I don't know what's all in it, but if it's a blend, it's not 100% anything

Awesome having the techs chime in on this forum!!!

standing by my post #64

clear silicon on the pins, and your choice on the clips and rattle plates cuz its not really that critical. I use silver anti-seize.

Last edited:
Awesome having the techs chime in on this forum!!!

standing by my post #64

clear silicon on the pins, and your choice on the clips and rattle plates cuz its not really that critical. I use silver anti-seize.

It's great that we have representatives here to answer our questions. And competitors no less!

I used the CRC on the pins and everything is fine. People are overthinking this.

I sometimes wonder if some people on this forum are OCD? (confused)

I used the CRC on the pins and everything is fine. People are overthinking this.

I sometimes wonder if some people on this forum are OCD? (confused)

If we like our vehicles enough to join an auto forum and do maintenance ourselves I would say we're all a little OCD :D

I just switched back from my winter tires and used the CRC on the caliper bolts. There was almost no lube on the bolts like many have said. I would have never thought about the bolts but thanks to this thread my issue was resolved at least.

I decided to rotate my tires in anticipation of a long road trip and while I was at it, inspected the caliper pins. Most of them were greased, but had a very very thin layer. The top pin from the front left was drying out and only half of it had some sign of grease. I got some quality brake grease (CRC and Sil Glyde) and applied CRC on the left set and Sil Glyde on the right so that I can compare the two. It will be awhile before I take these pins out again and inspect them, so until then, we will see how each grease has held up.

I forgot to add that my CX-5 is at a little bit over 5,000 miles.

Back