LS1 motor

Clearly it wasn't stock

I talked to him afterwards, and he claimed he was still under three grand in modifications including the M/T slicks. It was actually an older guy, probably in his 50s who said he drag raced muscle cars for decades. He said it took a while to get over the fact it was a Neon but the SRT4 had been cheaper and easier to run than anything he's ever owned.

I don't want to start a debate between the cars, as we are all biased towards our MSPs. But there is currently only one MSP with a 12s time slip and barely at that. Thankfully, driving is not all about 1/4 times.

I talked to him afterwards, and he claimed he was still under three grand in modifications including the M/T slicks. It was actually an older guy, probably in his 50s who said he drag raced muscle cars for decades. He said it took a while to get over the fact it was a Neon but the SRT4 had been cheaper and easier to run than anything he's ever owned.

I don't want to start a debate between the cars, as we are all biased towards our MSPs. But there is currently only one MSP with a 12s time slip and barely at that. Thankfully, driving is not all about 1/4 times.

But there's a lot you can do to an srt4 for $3k boost controller and stand alone or piggy back can make over 400 whp, I'm not saying the srt4 is a bad car they can make rediculous amounts of power without touching the motor or trans, honestly I wish they would have put that motor and trans in the msp. But when they're stock they're pretty slow for what they are, kinda like the msp but uglier and doesn't handle as well

1/4 mile times don't mean anything all that says is that you can drive fast in a straight line, any car is tested by auto cross or rally

Uh, the tires are all of it. My car would probably run 12's with slicks, if the trans, and driveline could hold it.

But there's a lot you can do to an srt4 for $3k boost controller and stand alone or piggy back can make over 400 whp, I'm not saying the srt4 is a bad car they can make rediculous amounts of power without touching the motor or trans, honestly I wish they would have put that motor and trans in the msp. But when they're stock they're pretty slow for what they are, kinda like the msp but uglier and doesn't handle as well

1/4 mile times don't mean anything all that says is that you can drive fast in a straight line, any car is tested by auto cross or rally

You really think 1/4 mile times and drag racing mean nothing when it comes to a cars or drivers ability?

You really think 1/4 mile times and drag racing mean nothing when it comes to a cars or drivers ability?

It does... that you can go in a straight line, yes there is skill to it ( I suck at launching my car) but compare that to auto cross and its a completely different ball game. You don't see people runing at a drag strip when it rains do you?

It does... that you can go in a straight line, yes there is skill to it ( I suck at launching my car) but compare that to auto cross and its a completely different ball game. You don't see people runing at a drag strip when it rains do you?

you are absolutely right about that part. They are both 2 totally different categories. Also, yeah strips don't run in rain. But in my area, autocross events don't either

Uh, the tires are all of it. My car would probably run 12's with slicks, if the trans, and driveline could hold it.

Yes I am well aware what tires do, but that is a very very big if. I usually pay more attention to trap speed anyway. It correlates very well with HP, while the ET is more dependent on available traction and the driver.

I've spent more Friday nights at the drag strip than I care to admit. Typically, cars don't break into the 12's until they can trap over 110mph. Lighter cars can get away with a little less due to power/weight being overcome by drag. So can cars with massive grip, like AWD cars, or drag cars with slicks and stalls, while FWD cars usually take a little more. But overall, it's a pretty good rule of thumb.

Other than Focus, there isn't a single legitimate trap speed on our bragging rights list over 110mph (I'm not buying the 118mph with no slip). So even a hypothetical 12 second ET is not trivial.

Back