Lowering Kit and Rims for 2014 Mazda3

jadnice

:
2014 Mazda 3 Hatch SGT

Attachments

• stancesc5machiedmatteblack1.jpg
    stancesc5machiedmatteblack1.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 1,922
Like the rims, though I tend to prefer thinner spokes, don't like the idea of a drop. The thing's relatively low as it is, and any drop is going to endanger the Leno-esqe chin spoiler (I like how it looks but it is rather prominent).

I'd like to add a more prominent rear spoiler to mine, and possibly a set of flat black rims...might stick with 18s though, I like how it handles right now, it's an excellent balance of comfort and handling. On my commute I need the comfort.

I'm actually contemplating a mod to the rear taillights. I've been thinking the turn signal and brake light should really be switched around, and the turn should be on the outer portion. That would take some work though.

I'm also considering an interior mod, I'd like to put a power point in the dash behind the touchscreen.

Like the rims, though I tend to prefer thinner spokes, don't like the idea of a drop. The thing's relatively low as it is, and any drop is going to endanger the Leno-esqe chin spoiler (I like how it looks but it is rather prominent).

I'd like to add a more prominent rear spoiler to mine, and possibly a set of flat black rims...might stick with 18s though, I like how it handles right now, it's an excellent balance of comfort and handling. On my commute I need the comfort.

I'm actually contemplating a mod to the rear taillights. I've been thinking the turn signal and brake light should really be switched around, and the turn should be on the outer portion. That would take some work though.

I'm also considering an interior mod, I'd like to put a power point in the dash behind the touchscreen.

A drop of 1.5 inches (the perfect drop) will not be an issue. Anything below that will present multiple issues. I am also looking at other 19inch rims from that site. I don't see me doing any mods till early 2014 when mod kits for the 2014 model 3 become available. A few of the manufactures I have contacted (K&N and Koni) all said they are about to test their parts with the new model 3 and cannot recommend any at this time. As for any mods you are doing or considering... please share here and the sites you have visited. Thanks

I'm not normally a big mod guy, and I figure the power point is going to require dash disassembly, but I may attempt that first. Mounting the phone on the windshield gives me Waze access again, as well as better signal for Pandora and aha.

I like those rims and yea I think 1.5 in drop should be fine and would look awesome on this car :D

I only plan on tinting my car and keeping everything else 100% stock. I'm really picky with my tint so have to do it right the first time around. Found a brand that does transition tint which makes it slightly darker and higher heat rejection as it gets hotter/brighter outside. So far this brand has gotten a lot of positive reviews from tesla owners. Can't wait to give it a try :D

I'd like a small drop of only about 1". I dropped my last car a good 2" and it was a little too much - looked great but always dragging on stuff.

I'd like a small drop of only about 1". I dropped my last car a good 2" and it was a little too much - looked great but always dragging on stuff.

Yep, going beyond 1.5" may look better but definitely creates issues with day to day driving.

I'm looking for just a 0.5" drop, which is what Racing Beat's springs generally are good for. I think any more than that is asking for trouble around here. I had a 1.5" drop on my 2001 Focus, and I scraped speed bumps and steep driveways regularly.

As much as I like the looks of a lowered car, I don't think I'll be doing it to the 3. My miata is only lowered by 1.5" and its a pita around here, especially if I drive in the snow.
As far as wheels I'm going to see how the 17s that are on my miata look on the 3. I'd like to use those as summer wheels and use the stock ones with snow tires. I do however have to decide on a powdercoat color for the Motegis. The aged copper won't work with titanium I think.

Mazda needs to provide information on where to purchase lowering kits and body molds being used in their SEMA show. I have been searching high and low for a qualified lowering kit for my 2014 Mazda 3 SGT.

Last edited:
If you watch the video about Mazda's SEMA cars, you'll see that just about everything was custom made for the show cars, as is usually the case for brand new SEMA cars.

The brand is Cusco, unfortunately no info beyond that and I haven't seen it listed anywhere yet.

I hope someone comes out with a good set of lowering springs, just a nice 1-1.5" drop to make it look right. It seems like there is a lot of interest.

Last edited:
Man, i'm on the same boat as you guys! I'm definitely waiting till someone finds a lowering kit so we can all lower our cars safely. =)

If the 2014 "M3" has the same suspension specs as the previous model, it's only a matter of time before manufacturers test their coilovers from the previous gen, on the 2014 model, to confirm fitment and then announce it to the world.

It's better to buy coilovers that have been on the market and tested for a few years, vs buying a 100% brand new design that hasn't been meticulously tested on the street / track.

Having said that, I'm waiting for a good company to release QUALITY coilovers and I'll be the first to install them! I can't wait to lower this thing...

You can't get much better than Ohlins. However, are they worth over $2200?
My MX5 has Koni adjustable shocks and Progress springs - an excellent combo that would be perfect with just another 1/2" of drop. As it is, the total drop is about 1" - great for not scraping but a tad tall, cosmetically.

Another thing to scrutinize is the weight of larger wheels. Some of those 19 inchers will worsen handling, ride, and braking by adding significantly more weight at each corner. Enkei Racing wheels are generally light for their sizes.

I have no doubt that Ohlins are worth every penny. They're at the top of my list of suspension upgrade choices for my RX-8 when the time comes. I think the real question is this: Is it worth spending that much money on dampers and springs for a Mazda3? It isn't for me.

I had KONI Sports with Racing Beat springs and Progress rear anti-roll bar on my 2005 Mazda3, and it was the best handling FWD car I've ever driven, except maybe for the Acura RSX Type-S I drove at the Mid-Ohio High Performance and Advanced High Performance school. However, even at their softest setting, the KONIs were brutally firm on the miserable excuse for roads we have in mid-Michigan. When it was my only car, it was (barely) acceptable to me, as I wanted excellent handling over comfort; however, after getting the RX-8, I want something more civilized for my daily driver that doesn't sacrifice handling too much.

If you live someplace where the roads don't look like the roads in one of the post-apocalyptic video games, KONI Sports would be an excellent choice. For me, they'll be too harsh. If I were willing to spend the money on Ohlins, I would go for it in a heartbeat, as they will offer both a sophisticated and a controlled ride like almost no other kit will offer (unless you can get Fat Cat Motorsports to make you a kit for your 2014 Mazda3).

I'm thinking of tightening up the rebound of my Konis. Then again, the roads here in San Diego are mostly smooth as glass.

Latest posts

Back